Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 11:54:34 AM EDT
So I'm finding that working full time while going to school full time is a real bitch sometimes. I was browsing through the course catalog for next semester and I found that I can take all the classes I need to take next semester online! Seems like it would be a lot easier on my schedule than having to trudge all the way to school and spend hours on campus. Anybody done online classes before? What's it like? Thanks! :D
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I did one in the spring of 2006, it was videotaped lectures from a prior semester.

This was from a school up north, I live in FL.

I had to take the tests at a proxy (Sylvan Learning Center, in this case).

I will only do online classes from now on, I am a fast learner and like learning at my own pace.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done my school work online and am very pleased.  It is confusing, especially when you take several classes but with good organizational skills it is manageable.  I really recommend my alamater, EOU its a great school and there is no out of state tuition.  I received two bachelors degrees and was accepted to graduate school fairly easily.  The professors and advisors bend over backwards to ensure your success.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I loathe online courses.  I have 2 this semester and I freaking hate them.  I end up spending about 2x as much time on them as I would if they were given face to face, because the instructors can't get on the same page and use the same links, folders, or the like to sort their curriculum with.  The teachers are usually teaching FTF classes as well, and spend little if any time answering questions or emails from their online students.  The level of disorganization is ridiculous.  

Never again.

Maybe your school is better.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have taken classes at DeVry, and now University of Wyoming, and I highly recommend it, especially with a full time job, and a family.  The only downside was the mandatory attendance, which requires you to log in a few hours a day, which was nearly impossible with my schedule.  At times, I would just log in, make a few posts on virtual classroom, and leave it logged in for the grade, while I slept.  Another plus is that the classes are very good about being self driven, meaning that you can work ahead on your own pace, except for group assignments.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I can't do online classes.  I don't have the self discipline to stay on top of the reading assignments and to actually do the work.

My girlfriend prefers online classes over traditional classes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I take as many classes online as I can. My only other option is night classes but working from 9-5 then going to class from 6-9 sucks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done two in the past and they were both way more work than the traditional campus class.

They were both on WebCT/Blackboard and both professors seemed to take great pleasure in giving you ten minutes to answer a fifty question test.

Beware!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done it for a few different classes:

One was extremely good - the lesson plan made sense and was challenging. Another was almost a joke and very easy. Then there was one that was a real bitch - the syllabus was all over the place, the tests were hell - not because they were hard they just didn't match what was being taught. I discovered the trick was to be a bout 3 weeks ahead and you'd be ok with the tests - until midterm and final, which had almost zero to do with what we did.

In any event, the trick is to stay focused and post questions.

All in all, I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#9]
So 5 say to do it and 3 say not to do it... Maybe I'll just throw in one online class this next semester, and if I like it, I'll switch over as much as possible in future semesters. Any further input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So 5 say to do it and 3 say not to do it... Maybe I'll just throw in one online class this next semester, and if I like it, I'll switch over as much as possible in future semesters. Any further input is appreciated!
I probably would not do it if the instructor is live, fumbling around.

I did a taped lecture series that he was online to answer questions if needed.

I put the vids on, and surfed arfcom, still got an 'A', and this was an 'elite' school.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate them with a passion.  I've taken at least a dozen online courses and here is why they suck ass:

At my school anyway they are still 12-15 weeks, there is no such thing as "self paced".

The distance learning teachers find it much easier to give shit grades or be dickheads in general hiding behind a keyboard, and grades average lower than in "real" classes.  

I can't be bothered to log on weekly and post some inane comments about some idiot fellow students pathetic attempts to answer simple questions.  

If it were as simple as read the text, take midterm, take final, write paper they'd be great.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm taking 3 online classes this semester.  Two of them are fine but one class the professor is a huge lib.  If you are the type that needs to be in a live setting for classes then don't do it.  The pace is pretty good with all of them.  I have an option to take a Math and Science class next semester but feel I would do better if I went to an actual class for those.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a bunch of humanities and economics online through Oregon Institute of Technology...
Worked great and the wife and kids learned for free

It works well for those who are inclined to learn...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#14]
i take 3 show up classes and 1 online to make me full time for the GIBILL,,,  i do more work in all my online classes then i do for my show up classes

all mine ive ever taking were 200 level or less and were for undergrad...  

more work then regular classes but saves me time since i can do it on my time
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I have taken several online classes while taking on campus classes full time, I can agree you end up doing quite a bit more work in the online classes compared to on-campus
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#16]
85% of my Associates/Bachelors have been online classes, including while I was deployed in Iraq.  Some are easy as all get out and others have been the hardest classes I've ever taken because some teachers think that since the class is online, they can give the students a fucking supertanker full of homework.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I'm finding that working full time while going to school full time is a real bitch sometimes. I was browsing through the course catalog for next semester and I found that I can take all the classes I need to take next semester online! Seems like it would be a lot easier on my schedule than having to trudge all the way to school and spend hours on campus. Anybody done online classes before? What's it like? Thanks! :D

Are you disciplined? Do you have somebody who can motivate you? When you get home from work are you actually going to pick up a book and read it or get online and do the work?
you have to be disciplined. I did it for 3 semesters, its hard stuff. I would skip it during the week and spend my whole weekend doing it (my wife didnt like it because we couldnt do anything because I procrastinated!)
If my wife didnt push me, I wouldnt have finished. I worked 40 hours. When you start, dont do more than 12 hours, that is considered full time anyway (at least at my school.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would do better if I went to an actual class for those.

AS someone who has seen the issue from both sides, I can tell you this.  If you CAN take them face to face, do it.

Online classes have the highest failure rate, the lowest overall quality of education, and the most abysmal level of actual comprehension/retention of the material by the students.

If you can go to the local library, and read all the history books, and get a degree in History from that then do it.

Online class instructors are notorious, NOTORIOUS, about not grading the work, not reading the student posting, not responding to emails, and not actually even looking at a student's submitted documents.

I have seen submissions, posted by students,  in response to questions posed by the instructor online that read some thing like this:

"Hey, professor,

I did not even write anything on this topic.  I bet you are just checking the time stamps, aren't ya? Bet I still get credit for this."

And ... they still made an A in the course.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#19]
It is pretty hit or miss with online classes. I usually take one 8 week online class a semester so that when finals roll around my load is a bit easier. I also only take easy gen eds like art appreciation or intro to lit because the more specialized the class is, the more difficult the online class becomes.

It is also hit or miss with the instructor you get. I had a really easy intro to lit class, but there was a lot of "busy work" so I had to do a lot of reading and writing. The art class i took last semester was easy. Everything multiple choice and all the final questions were from our quizzes earlier in the semester. And the WORST online class by far was the public administration class i just finished. The teacher would take days to reply to an e-mail (they are required at our school to respond no later than 24 hours after it is sent), the amount of reading required was almost impossible to keep up with, and the final had nothing to do with the study guide he gave us. But I still got an A and ripped him a new one on the teacher review after my grade was posted!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#20]
DO NOT DO ONLINE CLASSES.

Every person that I know, and including myself, have dropped or done poorly in online classes. I did the whole "spread my self to thin" approach, working full time and taking 15hrs of night classes for one semester. I made a shit load of extra money. I know how hard it is to be so busy. You will most certianly slack off during a semseter of online classes compared to formal classes which, force you to take notes, the teacher will most likely write the notes that are going to be needed on the test on the board, explain anything that you dont understand, the other students in the class will bring up questions that will help you on the exam ect. Compared to online classes that you will not study for or be online studying as much as you are forced to in formal classes.

Take out student loans, get FAFSA, and Pell Grants. You can get around $2500-$8000.00 a semester that you wont acrue interest until you graduate.

I hope this helps, I have had to drop 3 online classes in the last 2 years. Never again!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I love online courses. I have taken probably about 4 or so classes online. The classes i took were very involved and we had to participate in discussions each week and as long as i was active and made my postings, there wasn't a problem. The books and the notes that i usually don't buy/take for my regular courses are a must for online courses. You have to keep up, if you get behind you'll quickly find yourself fucked. But, you do get to work at your own pace.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#22]
The difference is discipline, or not.

Know yourself, and then make a decision.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I take online classes from AMU.  I like the online format, the classes aren't incredibly difficult however I have one warning.

Classes at AMU are on 8 week cycles, if you take more than one course at a time be sure to closely study the class schedule to ensure that BIG projects like the paper are on track and you don't have to work on all of them at once because lots of times they are all due the same week.  I learned the hard way my first term and always get a head start on the big research papers or projects to have the bulk of the work done ahead of time.

IMO,reading, tests, homework, and discussion participation are not hard at all, but trying to get multiple research papers done the week you are studying for a final is a major pain in the ass, primarily because some bosses sense your stress and pile on like mutherfucking sadistic cocksuckers /rant

All in all I say FO.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]
For shits and giggles I took the online motorcycle repair course at Ashworth(used to be pcdi)...Cake walk. I would not put much into it but for a $450 degree that would get me a job changing oil or something it was worth saying I did it. Although I hear their AA degrees and such are much better. I personally would do online courses but would go thru an truly accredited school over Ashworth.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#25]
i have found online classes to be more demanding than traditional classes.  also many professors are computer illiterate and this can spell problems for you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Every person that I know, and including myself, have dropped or done poorly in online classes. I did the whole "spread my self to thin" approach, working full time and taking 15hrs of night classes for one semester. I made a shit load of extra money. I know how hard it is to be so busy. You will most certianly slack off during a semseter of online classes compared to formal classes which, force you to take notes, the teacher will most likely write the notes that are going to be needed on the test on the board, explain anything that you dont understand, the other students in the class will bring up questions that will help you on the exam ect. Compared to online classes that you will not study for or be online studying as much as you are forced to in formal classes.

Take out student loans, get FAFSA, and Pell Grants. You can get around $2500-$8000.00 a semester that you wont acrue interest until you graduate.

I hope this helps, I have had to drop 3 online classes in the last 2 years. Never again!!

I received a 3.57/4 gpa on my Bachelors degree taking 85% online classes, including when I was in Iraq....only semester I got a 4.0(only took 2 classes but who's counting? )

It all depends on the class/content, the school and the teacher.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I will never take another online class.  Blackboard seems to be the standard for online teaching software, and it's utter bullshit.  And the email only contact gives teachers ample opportunity to ignore you.  My one online class cost me high honors, simply because my teacher refused to communicate with me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:34:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I will never take another online class.  Blackboard seems to be the standard for online teaching software, and it's utter bullshit.  And the email only contact gives teachers ample opportunity to ignore you.  My one online class cost me high honors, simply because my teacher refused to communicate with me.

Blackboard is an abortion.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:43:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like the people you hang with are slackers.  I  work full time and I am going online full time with accelerated semesters.  

The reasons you give for not going online have nothing to do with the online course and appear to be solely related to the fact that you lack any sort of personal drive and depend on your professor to make you do the work.

In short you are the reason that modern youth are mostly a lost cause.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I've taken several online classes in the past and I thought they were great.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:33:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm working on my online MA in CJ from Michigan State.  It's an asskicker.  Each class I write a 5 page paper each week, a 10 pager every three weeks, and a 30 pager for the semester.

That said, I am really enjoying it.  The classes are well organized, student input is welcomed, and discussion (Blackboard/angel system) is lively.  The professors are great, and I really like flexibility.  I have done alot of my work on my laptop at 4am, and other than having to learn APA style it hasn't been too hard of an adjustment after being out of school for 14 years.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:38:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've done two in the past and they were both way more work than the traditional campus class.

They were both on WebCT/Blackboard and both professors seemed to take great pleasure in giving you ten minutes to answer a fifty question test.

Beware!

This is my experience as well.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I hate them with a passion.  I've taken at least a dozen online courses and here is why they suck ass:

At my school anyway they are still 12-15 weeks, there is no such thing as "self paced".
The distance learning teachers find it much easier to give shit grades or be dickheads in general hiding behind a keyboard, and grades average lower than in "real" classes.  
I can't be bothered to log on weekly and post some inane comments about some idiot fellow students pathetic attempts to answer simple questions.  

If it were as simple as read the text, take midterm, take final, write paper they'd be great.  

This too...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top