Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 11:24:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the ipod still plugged into the computer?

If it is, unplug ipod from computer and reboot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine did this when it was on the fritz for hardware issue.

My laptop was trying to boot off my ipod when I left it plugged into my usb port when it was having the exact same symptoms your had. However, mine was also making clicking and whirling noises, and the only button that worked was the lock/unlock button on top.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the ipod still plugged into the computer?

If it is, unplug ipod from computer and reboot.

This is excellent advice.

Do you have a way to charge the iPod OTHER than by plugging into the PC? If so, do that until you get a happy full battery. Then, try using it normally.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
battery had been full the whole time, but I can charge it with the car charger if I have to

I've only owned 2 iPods, but I have seen them both do weird things if the batteries get super low. Sometimes, I have found one to be almost completely dead when I thought it was well charged.  So... having it fully charged is just a way to eliminate one possible source of weird behavior.

I have a little docking station/set of speakers that I use in the kitchen to play the iPod there, and when not playing, it charges the iPod, so that's what I use.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Im a dumbass, You have to push menu and select, not menu and press/play. computer rebooted eventually after ipod was unplugged and it did the whole restart repair thing. Never occured to me that it would try to boot from the ipod

Oh well, learn soemthign new every day and still die dumb.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I said it before, if someone gave me a rock to play with in an empty room I could break it

I plugged my ipod classic into the cigarette lighter/fm transmitter attachment in my car and the ipod locked up. I flipped the hold button on top on and off and held down the "menu" and "Pause/play" button to try to reset it. Tried it several times.

Then I proceeded to plug it into the laptop and see if that worked-nope did not read it. I turn the laptop on and off with the ipod plugged and now my laptop won't start up and is going through the 'start up repair" process.

Ack

That's what happens when a "Senior Citizen" tries to be Fashionable...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im a dumbass, You have to push menu and select, not menu and press/play. computer rebooted eventually after ipod was unplugged and it did the whole restart repair thing. Never occured to me that it would try to boot from the ipod

Is it working now??

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top