Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 9:29:21 AM EDT
Jacob's Canadian thread got me thinking.

Last year my company had some business up in Edmonton for an auto race.  When my guys were crossing the border, one was denied entry for a DUI comitted back in the 1980's.  Turned into a major cluster.

So the question is, how the hell does Canada access a criminal record database for US citizens?  Is this cooperation between US agencies under NAFTA?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody knows for sure.

I bet if he went back 10 times he would get in 3 or 4.  I know that there is special provisional paper work that a US citizen can fill out if they have a non-violent offense.  I don't know what the exact form is or how one would go about acquiring one, I just know that such a beast exists.

And BTW, If I have a violent offense or any type of criminal record THEY KNOW when I try to cross into the US and will deny me entry.

The last time I crossed the guard tried to hang me on a few different questions.  He knew I had family in San Diego as soon as I pulled up, because he kept asking me if I was going to visit her.  I said, no I'm going shopping but he wouldn't drop it.  I answered the same way 3-4 times and finally convinced him that I was coming in to drop some coin and not for any other reason.

What team do you race for?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Jacob's Canadian thread got me thinking.

Last year my company had some business up in Edmonton for an auto race.  When my guys were crossing the border, one was denied entry for a DUI comitted back in the 1980's.  Turned into a major cluster.

So the question is, how the hell does Canada access a criminal record database for US citizens?  Is this cooperation between US agencies under NAFTA?

Yes the US Customs and Border Protection shares information with the Canadian Border Services.  ANY criminal conviction makes you inadmissible to Canada until Canada deems you "rehabilitated".  By the same token, offenses that make somebody inadmissible to the USA are shared by the Canadians to the US - it works both ways.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, you can be a draft dodger on the lam and the Canadians think that is just fine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#4]
DUI is a felony in Canada,so they don't want you in. Alot of my fellow truckers used to use some legal excuse,so they wouldn't have to go. Mine was that I didn't have vet papers for the Woodog.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, you can be a draft dodger on the lam and the Canadians think that is just fine.

Negative.

Canada's kicking out "war resisters" now, despite the best efforts of the Liberals and NDP to declare them refugees.

They're kind of hard to reconcile when you're own troops are dying in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I was interogated several years ago after admitting that I was enterning Canad to conduct "Training" for electrical contractors.  This was all about taking work away from Canadian Union workers.  Took about 2 hours at the border crossing.  Anyway, they finally let me in, but when I quizzed one of the girls behind the counter she indicated that the info on me came back that I was one of the "Good Guys".  Questioning that, she told me that they had a direct hook up with the American FBI data base.  

So I said, well then you probably know that I have a US Dept. of Energy security clearance for NUK plants.  

Yes, she said

"But you probably don't have anything else", I said.

"Well, your fingerprint file is there also" , she said.

Great, the only time I have been fingerprinted is for CCW licence in Arizona.  I thought the FBI was supposed to read them, report back to the state, and then delete from their files.  Apparently, when they give the infor to the state on your histrory, your prints remain in the system.  

Anyway, just so you know.

Pinetop

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top