Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/3/2009 8:12:15 AM EDT
Ok, so we now have a gym at work.  The boss installed a Bowflex, treadmill, and free weights.  I need help with a three day a week workout regimen.

Here is where I am at currently:

6'2, 308 pounds.  No idea of chest measurement but I wear a size 40 x 34 pant.  I would like to get down to around 220.

What is a good weight routine to supplement daily walks and bike rides?

I do need to go slowly with upper body work, as I am still not 100% after my shoulder surgery last April.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Start our with a bodyweight exercise routine, just google it, there's tons of them you can customize to take into account your shoulder and building it up as well. Use the machines to augment your gains from the exercises.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Because of a knee injury I no longer run, however I get some really great cardio on the treadmill by setting the incline up to the max of 15 degrees, and keeping my hands off the bars.  It's like walking uphill for 30 minutes, and it isn't hard on my joints at all.  The first time I did it I had my heart rate up to 185 bpm.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
ok.. go here..

Monday pick one for each location..

Weds pick one form each again..

Friday pick one from each again..

do 15,10,5,5,10,15 reps with a min in between.. So for friday.. pick one Shoulders, one Biceps and one Triceps. from the 2 in each catagory that are listed.. total time with weights on mon weds and friday is about 30 mins..

then do 30 mins bike at heartrate Tues, Thurs, Sat.

then if you want to go full retard. take a fencing class 3 days a week on top of that..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#4]
All you need to know is here:  http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WorkoutMenu.html

Work your way through the rest of the site.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Good info above ... you might also check out the Body for Life program. You can buy the book on Amazon for around $20 or borrow it from most libraries. That gives you a good overall plan that covers all the necessities including a weight plan, cardio plan, and nutrition plan. I'e lost 90+ pounds since February following the plan and adapting it to my lifestyle as I go .... don't worry baout the parts of the book that start pushing supplements, you don't need to buy expensive supplements to do any fitness plan. I did most of my plan relying on whole foods, and only recently have started including a basic whey protein shake to get a little more protein in my diet as I start to transition from fat loss to muscle building.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Ever since I started with the surgeries, my diet and exercise went to shit.  Two knee, two back and one shoulder surgery play hell with your body.  For a long time, I was on too much pain medication to care about anything other than just getting through the day.

Now that I have pain management under control without the help of drugs, it is time to get the rest of the body right.

Thanks for the suggestions and links.  By this time next year, I hope to be looking at my goal weight and thinking I still want to lose another 10 pounds.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ever since I started with the surgeries, my diet and exercise went to shit.  Two knee, two back and one shoulder surgery play hell with your body.  For a long time, I was on too much pain medication to care about anything other than just getting through the day.

Now that I have pain management under control without the help of drugs, it is time to get the rest of the body right.

Thanks for the suggestions and links.  By this time next year, I hope to be looking at my goal weight and thinking I still want to lose another 10 pounds.

Im on the program that I linked.. started in June.. Im down 10 lbs (now at 172ish). XL shirt to Med and 34 to loose 32 pants.. and remember im prolby in the same starting shape as you.. pain meds and multiple surgerys on leg and lung.. no meds for 2 months now and no issues with leg swelling.. But add diet to your plan what ever you decide to do. it makes a big diffrence..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im on the program that I linked.. started in June.. Im down 10 lbs (now at 172ish). XL shirt to Med and 34 to loose 32 pants.. and remember im prolby in the same starting shape as you.. pain meds and multiple surgerys on leg and lung.. no meds for 2 months now and no issues with leg swelling.. But add diet to your plan what ever you decide to do. it makes a big diffrence..

Diet is already in the works.  I have completely cut out soda and beer.  Less red meat is on the menu, being replaced with more poultry and fish.  Carbs have been cut significantly.  Sweets are a thing of the past.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, so we now have a gym at work.  The boss installed a Bowflex, treadmill, and free weights.  I need help with a three day a week workout regimen.

6'2, 308 pounds.  No idea of chest measurement but I wear a size 40 x 34 pant.  I would like to get down to around 220.

I do need to go slowly with upper body work, as I am still not 100% after my shoulder surgery last April.

Damn dude, congrats on finding motivation to correct that.  I'm 6'1 and 185 and I don't even like the 40 year old pooch I've developed.  

My best friend is now a high end eliptical machine at the gym (real fitness club).  They will work your ass over without being abusive to your joints.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn dude, congrats on finding motivation to correct that.  I'm 6'1 and 185 and I don't even like the 40 year old pooch I've developed.  

My best friend is now a high end eliptical machine at the gym (real fitness club).  They will work your ass over without being abusive to your joints.  

The last time I saw 185 must have been freshman year of high school.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
What about meals?  I tend to eat two average sized meals a day.  Would changing to more, smaller meals help?

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about meals?  I tend to eat two meals a day.  Would changing to more, smaller meals help?

The links I posted.. read teh nutrition area.. eat every 2-3 hrs.. lots of small meals.. And there are a lot of recepits for cooking there..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
run, run, run, run, and run some more.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

run, run, run, run, and run some more.

Lack of cartilage in right knee makes this a no-go.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I am a trainer in nyc and own my own private studio. Truthfully it isnt rocket science. You know the deal with diet and yes 4-6 meals a day is the new way for you to go. Plan all your meals and bring them to work. Eat as much vegetables and fruit as you can and keep your protein around 150 grams a day or even less. Eat oatmeal everyday. Put fruit and nuts in it. No more refined sugar. No more garbage. Its not easy. Many attempt, most fail. It is a true accomplishment and won only by real discipline. You can PM any questions you have I would be happy to help you out and see you through this.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you by chance belong to a gym/fitness center outside of work?  Look into a personal trainer/coach for a couple of sessions. You don't have to commit to a long contract or anything, just enough to get started.  Might cost a few bucks but it would probably be a good place to start so you don't hurt yourself or not get the results you want.  They can also help on the nutritional side as far as being a coach.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Do you by chance belong to a gym/fitness center outside of work?  Look into a personal trainer/coach for a couple of sessions. You don't have to commit to a long contract or anything, just enough to get started.  Might cost a few bucks but it would probably be a good place to start so you don't hurt yourself or not get the results you want.  They can also help on the nutritional side as far as being a coach.

No, and it is not in the budget right now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top