Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:06:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Sounds like someone got what they deserved.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Never fuck with a judge.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Play stupid games...

When someone flips off a judge, they usually don't get off easy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
When i read the title i was thinking "1st amendment wtf!?!" But after reading the article, i think "Good on ya, Judge!"

Like others have said before: Stupid games...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#5]
so does he do his 6 months and THEN have to go back for the original charge?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Never fuck with a judge.

Even though they may deserve it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Let the punishment fit the crime.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
What a dumbass..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, that charge will keep moving forward.  He probably wouldn't be bonding out on such serious charges anyway, so the contempt sentence is, in reality, no big deal.  He's looking at mandatory prison for those charges as it is.  Worst that will happen to him is that he maybe wouldn't get good-time credit for the time spent on the contempt charge, or maybe that 6 months won't count against the state for speedy-trial purposes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Never fuck with a judge.

A Law-abiding citizen might disagree. (best bit of the movie IMHO)

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Never fuck with a judge.

yup
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Illinois Man Gets 6 Months in Jail for 1 Middle Finger

Tuesday, November 03, 2009  

McHenry County Sheriff's Office

Kane Kellett, charged with home invasion, got a 6-month sentence for giving a judge the middle finger as he was being sworn in.

An Illinois man found out the hard way that giving a judge the middle finger while being sworn in isn't nice — and won't go unpunished.

Kane Kellett, 24, landed in jail for six months after he raised his right hand, middle finger extended, before Judge G. Martin Zopp in McHenry County Court, the Chicago Sun-Times reported Tuesday.

The Crystal Lake man was there Saturday on home-invasion charges. Since his nonverbal "outburst," he is now serving half a year for contempt of court, according to McHenry County State's Attorney Louis Bianchi.

In the original case, Kellett is accused of breaking into the house of an acquaintance and attempting to hit him over the head with a flashlight, the Sun-Times said.

Kellett was surly from the start, according to the state's attorney.

"When they brought him out of the lockup he looked very unhappy. He was looking down all the time," Bianchi said. "The judge asked him 'Sir, do you have an attorney?' and he said 'F—- no.' "

Zopp ignored that comment but after the middle-finger incident, Assistant State's Attorney Patrick Kenneally asked that the defendant be held in criminal contempt of court.

Zopp agreed, handing down the six-month sentence.

"I'm hoping that this sends a message to all those who appear before our judges here that they must show some respect for the court and the court system," Bianchi said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,571367,00.html?test=latestnews

I'd rather be in jail than walking the streets with this guy running around:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess that is somehow supposed to make the guy have less contempt for the judge/court?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#15]
These kind of over-the-top punishments really emphasize that good old class distinction between the little people and the nobility.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, that charge will keep moving forward. He probably wouldn't be bonding out on such serious charges anyway, so the contempt sentence is, in reality, no big deal. He's looking at mandatory prison for those charges as it is. Worst that will happen to him is that he maybe wouldn't get good-time credit for the time spent on the contempt charge, or maybe that 6 months won't count against the state for speedy-trial purposes.

Good info; thanks!

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#17]
When keepin' it real goes wrong.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't condone flipping off judges, nor would I recommend it, but contempt of court?

Unless the article is missing some key facts (not a chance.  We know how accurate the media is.), any lawyer with a pulse could get that contempt conviction overturned.

Contempt of court is failure to obey an order, or doing something that interferes with the business of the court.  Flipping off a judge does neither.

Now had the judge instructed the dumbass to behave, and dumbass misbehaved, well there you go.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]
judge gets feeling hurt.  now tax payers must pay for 6 more months in jail.  There needs to be a way to punish the criminals without costing the tax payers money.  maybe whips or the caning or some form of corporal punishment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess that is somehow supposed to make the guy have less contempt for the judge/court?

Its not about "contempt".
Its about the oldest most concrete law of the universe, the force of arms.
The judge has it, he doesn't.
End of story.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
These kind of over-the-top punishments really emphasize that good old class distinction between the little people and the nobility.  

+1

Six months in jail for flipping off a judge? That's stupid.
Sounds as if that judge has a god complex.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, awesome.  Taxpayers get to foot the bill for 6 months of incarceration of a guy who hurt a judge's feewingz...

Sad and pathetic.  

Seems both the defendant and the judge were completely devoid of common sense in this case.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
judge gets feeling hurt.  now tax payers must pay for 6 more months in jail.  There needs to be a way to punish the criminals without costing the tax payers money.  maybe whips or the caning or some form of corporal punishment.

First, the entire court system is pretty much based on the premise that people will respect the system.  In order for that to work, you have to have CONSEQUENCES for people who fail to show that respect.  I'm quite sure there would be consequences if this guy came into your house and flipped you off.  Well, the judge can't exactly get off the bench and kick this guy's ass, so he employs the sanctions that are available to him.

Second, take a look at what this guy is charged with.  He's probably going to be living at taxpayer expense for the next 6-30 years anyway.  And he'll certainly be in custody until his case is over (and likely far beyond), so it's a wash as far as the taxpayers are concerned.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the length of the contempt sentence is based in large part on the judge thinking "well, might as well max him out on the contempt, he's not going anywhere anyway".
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#25]
haha

what a retard
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Six months in jail for flipping off a judge? That's stupid.
Sounds as if that judge has a god complex.

Dont piss off a person who holds your freedom in their hands.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't feel sorry for that clown but I think 6 months in the slammer is a bit extreme and COST PROHIBITIVE to the tax payer.  Even the worst contempt of court should be a few days in the slammer to think things over before restarting the process in front of the judge.  Repeat problems to be escalated as necessary.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What? It is direct contempt of court-in Illinois punishable by 6 months in jail.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:13:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Fuck these big feeling judges. I give the criminal an atta boy for having a set of balls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fuck these big feeling judges. I give the criminal an atta boy for having a set of balls.

Yeah, sure was a brave thing of him to do, given the fact that he's likely to spend the next 6-30 locked up anyway.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sure was a brave thing of him to do, given the fact that he's likely to spend the next 6-30 locked up anyway.

not brave just ballsy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When i read the title i was thinking "1st amendment wtf!?!" But after reading the article, i think "Good on ya, Judge!"

Like others have said before: Stupid games...

According to the article it was the Attorney General who asked the judge that the scumbag be charged with contempt of court.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I knew this was for contempt before I even clicked on the thread.

Quoted:
I don't condone flipping off judges, nor would I recommend it, but contempt of court?

Unless the article is missing some key facts (not a chance.  We know how accurate the media is.), any lawyer with a pulse could get that contempt conviction overturned.

Contempt of court is failure to obey an order, or doing something that interferes with the business of the court.  Flipping off a judge does neither.

Now had the judge instructed the dumbass to behave, and dumbass misbehaved, well there you go.

You don't know what contempt is, or what it is for. But that doesn't surprise me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#34]
If you want to flip off a judge, or call him any filthy name that comes to mind, do it calmly while he is NOT presiding in open court. He can't do anything about it. Nothing direct and legal, anyway.

Show your ass while court is in session, and the judge has 6 months in his pocket for each act.

Most judges are very patient about outbursts, gently cautioning the offender or even recessing court to avoid citing a person who has genuinely lost control of himself. They are much less patient with deliberate displays of disrespect for the office or the proceedings.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never fuck with a judge.

Especially when said judge spends 10s of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money to lock this guy up for 6 months for being flipped the bird. . .

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:27:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What? It is direct contempt of court-in Illinois punishable by 6 months in jail.

Which is a very excessive punishment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is a very excessive punishment.

I concur with the Admiral.  

Maybe a few days, but not 6 months.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never fuck with a judge.

Especially when said judge spends 10s of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money to lock this guy up for 6 months for being flipped the bird. . .

You know what I think we should do? We should ban contempt. Think about it. Beyond the separation of powers issue, and the fact that is been a power of the court since the dawn of our legal system back in jolly ole' Eng-a-land, it's propriety is questionable.

I mean, these judges only have dozens of cases before them every day, with several hundred people passing through their courtroom and usually not a single armed officer in sight (unless its a trial day, then you're fucked). Why should the judge need a tool to enforce a little decorum and civility in his courtroom? Why should people show a little respect for the position and the system? I think these judges should just sing kumbaya with the defendant, and hope that order is restored after a nice chat.

Or, we should put the feelings of the defendant first and let him express his displeasure with the court in full view of the public and the officers of the court. Especially when he's looking at being locked up anyways.

Whats a middle finger matter, when the judge has an entire courtroom full of pissed off defendants and their families to worry about? There's no chance he could ever lose control of a well-behaved mob like that, right?

Beat you to it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Let the punishment fit the crime.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never fuck with a judge.

Didn't read the thread huh?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Interesting.

What learned journal employs you to do their legal research and writing?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#42]
He's probably one of those types of people who had just as soon be in jail as out. My ex-brother-in-law is that way.
It just doesn't matter to them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#43]
What happened to the original charge?   He goes back to court for it in 6 months?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#44]
He sounds like quite the gentleman.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What happened to the original charge?   He goes back to court for it in 6 months?

See my first post, above.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never fuck with a judge.

"I'm a judge, so I can pretty much do as I- BLAM!"

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Never fuck with a judge.

"I'm a judge, so I can pretty much do as I- BLAM!"

I'll admit it, I jumped when that happened.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#49]
The punishment isn't because feelings are hurt, the punishment is to keep the courtroom from becoming a circus.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top