Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:04:15 AM EDT
They are being attracted by one of my tenants ( Chinese restaurant ).

I am not there, so fire, and suppressed killing is out of the question.

I'm sure there are a few here that have some proven poison/methods to getting rid of the rats.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I am not there, so fire, and suppressed killing is out of the question.

I'm sure there are a few here that have some proven poison/methods to getting rid of the rats.

Thanks guys

We had a loft above a pizza place.  Any resturant will attract vermin.   POISON will be the only effective way to get rid of them.

Rats are easy.  Its the roaches that are hard to get rid of.  

I was going to say get a cat, but thats probably on the menu.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Barn Cat, or poisoned oats....works everytime.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Tell the tennants to stop killing and eating the cats.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a product called "1 Bite". It means what it says

I live in the country and rats appear from time to time.

I now have several cats so don't need it anymore but trust me, this stuff works.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Tell the tennants to stop killing and eating the cats.

I think cats would be better than some of the stuff they fry up back there.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is a product called "1 Bite". It means what it says

I live in the country and rats appear from time to time.

I now have several cats so don't need it anymore but trust me, this stuff works.  

thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You would think the problem would eliminate itself the next time they have an all you cant eat special.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Find a good restaurant-safe rat poison and use large quantitites of it.

A few months ago I had a mouse problem at home, fought them for a while and finally used a half-bucket of poison....3 days later, no more mice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
.22lr "Rat Shot" works well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Rat Terriers, two of them.

ETA

They are incredibly smart, loyal, fun dogs.  They also HATE all rodents with a passion that goes beyond mere breeding.  They HATE HATE HATE rodents.  They are excellent hunters of small vermin and they WILL remove the rat infestation, and have a good time doing it, too.

I had one for years.  Only dog I ever seen that would spend hours digging moles out of their tunnels just to kill them.

They have incredibly fast reaction time as well.  They're good at eradicating snakes, which they hate almost as much as rodents.  Their reaction time is such that they make things like rattlesnakes and other poisonous snakes seem sluggish by comparison.  Such reptiles are fun practice for RTs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
rat fishing is fun
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Family member managed to get rid of them using conventional traps - took a while but they haven't seen any in months.  You just have to figure out where they come and go from and trap the area heavily.  I suppose that's easier said than done in a restaurant though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I would call in a professional service to take care of the problem.  The fastest way to get rid of them is with traps and then plug up the holes where the rats are getting in. A professional outfit knows where and what to look for and get all their entrance points closed off. It does no good to kill the rats and then leave their entry points open.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Find a good recipe for rat for the tenant and let him do your cleanup work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#15]
wheres the bucket-o-death trap picture????
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Killing them is one thing, preventing  a new infestation is key.  Rats will be drawn to the smells of chow, yet they do not become a problem until they find access.  You need to find where they are getting in and take steps to block and seal it.  Poison can create a new disaster in the form of stench from rotting corpses in walls and ceiling spaces.  If they have set up shop inside, and are not merely coming and going, traps and blocking further entry would be ideal.  Dead rat smells could destroy business for the tenants.  If kitchen staff are leaving the back door open on hot nights for extended periods, I don't know how you could effectively police that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top