Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/3/2009 6:09:13 AM EDT
I had to cross over to Canada yesterday. I have never been, and it was for work so I thought it would go smooth.

It did not.

They held me up for hours and searched my vehicle with a dog. I missed my delivery

At the worst point of it, they brought me into some type of interrogation room, and a guy came in to ask me some questions. Basic stuff... where are you headed?... when are you coming back?... Do you own any firearms?...

and then...

"How many guns do you have at your home?"

I told him I would not answer that question. And he tried to ask the question about 5 more times.

Is this a normal question? Was my tinfoil on too tight?

Thet ended up letting me go in and everything worked out ok.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What business is it of theirs?  I wouldn't have answered either, or I would said something like "enough to equip a a couple squads of infantry" just to see their reaction.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#2]
My friend drove truck and would get hassled at the Canadian border like that whenever he crossed but that was back in the late 80's early 90's...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
What's wrong wit dem Canadian's, Eh?

- Clint
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have refused to answer that question. And if they decided to refuse me entry? So be it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#5]
"Neither you nor I are at my home.  I refuse to answer."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Dibs.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#7]
"More than you have in your home."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
That is a weird question.  Good on you for not answering.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]
If its not coming across the boarder with you, what business of there is it?

The last time I crossed was in '02, they didn't ask any stupid questions, they didn't ask much at all really.  Though I was going through a rural area, the check point was just a shack and 2 guards, and we were probably the only people they had seen for a while.

Maybe you just got one of the random, feel good, extra deep anal probes?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
they are worried we are gonna invade them sometime in the future, they know its coming
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#12]
You should try crossing with 50 bird dogs and 5 horses and all their paperwork.

I always plan on being at the border a minimum of 2 hours because you never know.  Sometimes they just wave you on, sometimes they put you in the interrogation room.  Any time you say the word "work," it makes it more difficult.  Like, I can't say I'm going to "work" or "train" dogs.  I have to say "play," "vacation" and "fun."

ETA:  Oh, and they LOVE the starter pistols we take to train with.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Him: "How many guns do you have at your home?"

Me: "What kind of sex toys do you and your wife use?"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had to cross over to Canada yesterday. I have never been, and it was for work so I thought it would go smooth.

It did not.

They held me up for hours and searched my vehicle with a dog. I missed my delivery

At the worst point of it, they brought me into some type of interrogation room, and a guy came in to ask me some questions. Basic stuff... where are you headed?... when are you coming back?... Do you own any firearms?...

and then...

"How many guns do you have at your home?"

I told him I would not answer that question. And he tried to ask the question about 5 more times.

Is this a normal question? Was my tinfoil on too tight?

Thet ended up letting me go in and everything worked out ok.

They did the something similar to me.

I had a brand new corvette and they fuckers at the border asked me who own the vette.  I said it was mine.  The dumbass asked me 5 more times.

So I said, are you deaf?  I told you I owned it.

He freaked out and pulled me over.

They let me go after a cursory check because they realized the guy was a dumb dick too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]
That is odd, never been asked that before. Maybe they are just envious?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#16]
My sister and brother-in-law got arrested this summer for smuggling kinder eggs at the Canadian Border

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#17]
There must be something in the water those border folks are drinking.

My son (he's 16 and has his own passsport. We have the same last name) and I walked over to Canada at Niagara Falls this summer. No issue getting into Canada (cost 50 cents to get out, though).

When we are going through American customs on the way back the woman asks a few questions (How long were you there, what's in the bag, etc.) and then asks, while looking at our passports, "How do you two know each other?"

I admit to a moment of brain freeze before I was able to respond "He's my son."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I flew into Canada yesterday and cleared customs via phone. I never actually saw a customs agent.

Funny, I have a more difficult time with US Customs than Canadian.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:32:02 AM EDT
[#19]
When I went up there in 05 I didnt have any problems at all.  I was not asked any strange questions.  I went to Nova Scotia however.  The agents working even took me behind the security equipment to show off their "new scanners" they got that show different organic material etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:32:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My sister and brother-in-law got arrested this summer for smuggling kinder eggs at the Canadian Border

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06140.jpg

Need more details on this one...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#22]
"Why, are you going to try to rob my house tomorrow while I'm at work?"
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#24]
It was probably that bolt face logo on the back window of your truck.......
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:34:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Last time I went into Canada I got held at the border for around 2 hours. I think they had an issue with my Calvin peeing on PETA sticker.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Wow, never heard that one.

I will say this though:  When asked "Do you have a gun?", answering back "What do you need, pal?" is not the right answer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

"You godless commie fag"

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I would love to have been quick enough to say "Unless I left it hitched up accidentally, what does it matter?"    
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I wonder what the "probable cause" was for them to ask an interesting question like that.

Were you wearing camo?

Do you resemble (what they might think to be) a biker (Harley, not Schwinn)?

What kind of decals are on your vehicle?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Crossing over I get smiles, "Welcome to Canada, enjoy your holiday, we hope you have a great time!"

Coming back into the states we get 30+ minutes of harassment...ALWAYS.

U.S. agents are jerks.  They'll ask redundant questions over and over.  They're never polite.  But of course I could see how they would feel threatened with a family of four.  Especially the 10 year old, he's only two years away from hunter's safety.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Fishing...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"Aside from children potentially choking on the toys, the real reason Kinder Eggs are banned is the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/378773/why_kinder_eggs_are_banned_in_the_us.html

I should have read this yesterday, I would have picked up a case of these from Montreal to bring back to Detroit!

Some stores sell the Kinder bars, those things are good!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wonder what the "probable cause" was for them to ask an interesting question like that.

Were you wearing camo?

Probable Cause does not apply at an International border crossing.
They can ask whatever they want and can search your car at will.

My experiences have usually been good, better coming back to the US than going to Canada.
The Canadian's always want a full biography for everyone in the car.

Worst on the US side was the agent asking me a history question on Liberia (I was born there).
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:50:43 AM EDT
[#35]
You mean you fellas in the states dont have kinder surprises??????

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Last time I went into Canada I got held at the border for around 2 hours. I think they had an issue with my Calvin peeing on PETA sticker.

Too bad that the transportation of illegally-reproduced copyrighted work isn't a crime.  You are doing a huge disservice to Bill Watterson and his genius.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I wonder what would happen if asked about owning guns, I said, "I'm not sure". When asked to clarify, I'd explain, "Well yeah, I KNOW I own guns, but I lost count somewhere after thirty..."

As a kid crossing back into the U.S. after visiting Tiajuana for the day with my family in the 1980's, the U.S. Customs agent asked me where I lived. I answered honestly, "West Allis".

He got irritated and said: "I need to know WHERE that is..."

I went: and said, "In Wisconsin, next to Milwaukee..."

Then I had to explain why my mother and father were from Virginia then. So then I droned on the story about how my parents got divorced when I was two, and I'd visit my mom and stepfather in Virginia a couple times a year, and we were visiting my grandparents in San Diego...

He said: "Nobody could make that the hell up, go on then..."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Having grown up near the border with Canada and entered Canada on perhaps 20 different occasions between 1985 and 2004, I can tell you that going in and out of the US/Canada Post 9/11 is a lot more difficult than it used to be. The US Customs is ramped up and asking a lot more questions. Back in the 80s, they would waive you through if you had Michigan plates about 1/2 the time. Canadian Customs always stopped us and asked a few questions in a bit more serious manner than the US Customs. The Canadians and US Customs are both really serious now.

One thing you have to realize about Canada is that people there (including you when you go there) do not have the same rights as people in the United States. The differences are subtle but they are meaningful. Speech is not "free" and the people of Canada do not have freedom in the way that we typically understand it here.

Canadians do not have essential freedoms of armed self-defense, free speech or a free press.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:07:08 AM EDT
[#39]
The only time I've ever had a problem upon crossing that border about 5000 times was from some bitch in Toronto.  She didn't like my "Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants" sticker on my crewbag.  I didn't like her swarmy, incredibly rude attitude.  She told me "I could deny you entry."

I told her, "Yes, ma'am, that is within your power.  However, I cross through this entry 5 to 10 times per month, and this is first time I've ever been treated in such a rude and impolite manner."  Her co-workers sniggered, and she threw my passport at me.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You mean you fellas in the states dont have kinder surprises??????

This is the most important thing I got out of the thread too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Ok.  Time out.  You need your humor for the day.

A group of hunters is re-entering after hunting birds in Mexico.

The new girl at Customs asks if they have anything to declare - they respond "quail" and she thinks "whale" -jeez.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Having grown up near the border with Canada and entered Canada on perhaps 20 different occasions between 1985 and 2004, I can tell you that going in and out of the US/Canada Post 9/11 is a lot more difficult than it used to be. The US Customs is ramped up and asking a lot more questions. Back in the 80s, they would waive you through if you had Michigan plates about 1/2 the time. Canadian Customs always stopped us and asked a few questions in a bit more serious manner than the US Customs.

One thing you have to realize about Canada is that people there (including you when you go there) do not have the same rights as people in the United States. The differences are subtle but they are meaningful. Speech is not "free" and the people of Canada do not have freedom in the way that we typically understand it here.

Canadians do not have essential freedoms of armed self-defense, free speech or a free press. A few examples:

Nice examples, you're supposed to keep typing after the colon. I usually only have a problem with the top cops on the American side of the border, never had a problem coming home.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad that the transportation of illegally-reproduced copyrighted work isn't a crime.  You are doing a huge disservice to Bill Watterson and his genius.

Perhaps so, and I AM a huge fan of Calvin. I have to think it was worth it though for the number of bunny huggers that I know for sure it offended.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ok.  Time out.  You need your humor for the day.

A group of hunters is re-entering after hunting birds in Mexico.

The new girl at Customs asks if they have anything to declare - they respond "quail" and she thinks "whale" -jeez.

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#45]
I have crossed a few border but the canucks have been the worst. Crossing over somewhere along the Maine/Quebec border the guard didn't even speak english. That was fun doing international pantomime.... Anyway, they searched the car and asked all sorts of goofy questions. Returning to the US a few days later I basically just got waved through.
Mexico customs has never been bad and the only problem re-entering the US from Mexico is that long ass line at the airport.
The most f'd up? Returning from the Bahamas via (privately owned) boat. The drill is when you get into port you are too call a 1-800 number and tell them you are back in the states. Then they approve you and wish you a good day or they tell you to get back on your boat and wait for a customs officer to show up and give you the once over.
Not saying I did it but I have heard some people get so pissed while on hold they just hang up and go home. Yep, back in the states with no re-entry processing at all.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:13:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Yeah buddy I have lots, are you an arfcommer too ?

What's yer handle ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you wearing camo?

Probable Cause does not apply at an International border crossing.
They can ask whatever they want and can search your car at will.

My experiences have usually been good, better coming back to the US than going to Canada.
The Canadian's always want a full biography for everyone in the car.

Worst on the US side was the agent asking me a history question on Liberia (I was born there).

Ah, I think I would fail the Liberian history question.

Strange questions in my mind would be:
What is the atomic weight of Cobalt?

The average air speed of the European Swallow?

True or False: Pygmy Tarsiers are the only primates that are exclusively carnivorous.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"Why, are you going to try to rob my house tomorrow while I'm at work?"

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I went up to Windsor a few years back.  Canadian agents pretty much waved me right through.  US started to hassle me for only having a driver's license (this was before you needed a passport).  He said I needed a birth certificate as well.  Told him my mom still had it from when I was in college.  He was cool though and "led" me through a couple of nonsense questions and let me go through.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Funny, I have a more difficult time with US Customs than Canadian.

Canadian Customs have always been nice to me. Only once did I have to go in, and that's because I was traveling alone with my then-seven-year-old son. I've probably been over to Canada more than thirty times.

US Customs, almost without fail, are jackbooted sonsabitching assholes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top