Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:45:07 AM EDT
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ottawa_county/GH_cop_wont_be_on_sex_offender_list

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. (WOOD) - A former Grand Haven police officer lost his job and could lose his freedom for his on-duty sexual encounters, but one of his victims says she can't understand why his name won't appear on the state's sex offender registry.

She thinks Thomas Carey belongs there to warn other women.

"He's just a sick person that takes advantage of women that can't help themselves," the woman told 24 Hour News 8.

Carey, 47, a 20-year veteran and one-time Grand Haven Officer of the Year, could face up to five years in prison when sentenced on Nov. 2 in Ottawa County.

But it was a deal worked out between Carey's attorney, Charles Rominger, and Kent County Prosecutor William Forsyth that will keep him from the sex offender registry.

Rominger said his client, who is married, is not a predator and doesn't belong on the list.

"I think it does a disservice to characterize this as a renegade police officer who was using his badge and authority to obtain sexual favors from non-consenting adult women," Rominger said.

That's not how state police saw it –– at least originally.

They investigated the case as first-degree sexual assault involving two vulnerable women –– ages 43 and 67 –– and an officer abusing his authority for sex, according to state police reports obtained by 24 Hour News 8 through the Freedom of Information Act.

The reports provide new details on the investigation –– and raise new questions.

Carey pleaded no contest to misconduct in office and gross indecency, the same kind of charge two consenting adults would face for having sex in public.

First-degree sexual assault carries a maximum sentence of life in prison; the most he can get now is 5 years.

Rominger said the officer agreed to gross indecency because it's not among the charges that land people on the sex offender list.

The 43-year-old victim said Carey first targeted her in early 2008, when she called police to report a suspicious person. Officer Carey –– the city's K-9 handler –– responded.

"I'd seen this cop before," she told 24 Hour News 8. "I've had other incidents and he was, you know, I could tell he had a crush on me, you know, that he liked me."

She had been diagnosed with mental health problems –– major depression, a dependent personality –– and other health issues, including insulin dependent diabetes, state police records show.

The officer was especially nice, the woman told police. He hugged her, told her a shower would make her feel better.

An hour or so later, he returned, providing more comfort, she said.

"He was holding me, rubbing my back," she said.

Then, the visits became regular –– Carey tapping on her window late at night, within view of the Grand Haven police headquarters.

Once, he appeared suddenly, in uniform, in her bedroom at 2 or 3 a.m, standing in the dark, she told police.

She couldn't undertand why his bosses didn't know.

"It's evident, I mean he come knocking on my bedroom window at 1 o'clock in the morning," she said. "I mean, how can you hide, you know, a police officer, you know, in his uniform, dressed, banging on someone's bedroom window?"

She felt obligated, she told police, to give him what he wanted: Oral sex –– up to a dozen times during the course of 14 months, almost always while he was in uniform and with a gun on his belt.

Each incident "was pretty much the same," lasting 15 to 20 minutes, and "when he was done, he would leave," the woman told police. He never used force or threatened her, she said.

He called her "his girl," and told her, "You want it, don't you?" she told police.

"When asked why she didn't resist or say no, (her) response was she felt she had to and that he was a figure of authority, a police officer," wrote the state police detective who interviewed the woman.

"He has a gun," the woman told 24 Hour News 8. "I asked him one time: What would happen if his gun was to go off? I said, then you've got some explaining to do."

The victim kept the secret until March 2009, when she told her psychiatrist and her Ottawa County Mental Health caseworker, reports show. The allegations reached Grand Haven Public Safety Chief Dennis Edwards, who asked state police to investigate.

"I blame myself," the woman said. "I mean, I could have said no, but what do you say? He's a cop."

Carey denied the allegations when he met with a state police sergeant on June 4 at the Grand Haven Municipal Marina. The frequent visits with the woman, he said, were good public relations.

State police interviewed neighbors, who thought the officer's frequent visits were to check on the woman.

They also searched Carey's police locker and his Grand Haven Township home. It appears they found no evidence of sexual assault. Among the evidence they sought: Green or blue men's bikini underwear described by the victim.

But it was another detail the victim described –– a blue, oval tattoo –– that convinced state police she wasn't making it up.

State police got a search warrant for Carey's body. And, there it was –– a tattoo
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure about this.

Maybe really bad judgement, but it doesn't sound like SA by a long shot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#2]
cue the not sure if serious picture
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:51:58 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah the Sex offender shit is a joke now.

should be reserved for pedifiles and straight up rapists.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
She provided oral for 14 months and then decided it was wrong and needed to report it?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
That's bullshit, she wasn't a victim.  

I bet he said something to piss her off, or she wanted money and he wouldn't pay her.    

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't sound like he should be on the sex offender list.  Then again neither do about 50% of the people who are on it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doesn't sound like he should be on the sex offender list.  Then again neither do about 50% of the people who are on it.

And those who do deserve to be on it don't deserve the unconstitutional infringement of privacy.

If you can't be trusted to rejoin society - with all the rights and priveledges thereof - then you should stay in jail.  This scarlet letter bullsh*t isn't a deterrent and it isn't sane, usual punishment.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
On duty booty will get you every time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:08:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
She provided oral for 14 months and then decided it was wrong and needed to report it?

Rape by regret
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/ottawa_county/GH_cop_wont_be_on_sex_offender_list
They investigated the case as first-degree sexual assault involving two vulnerable women –– ages 43 and 67 –– and an officer abusing his authority for sex, according to state police reports obtained by 24 Hour News 8 through the Freedom of Information Act.

67??
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:11:14 AM EDT
[#12]
few years back when I was in IA, we assisted in the arrest of one of our members-10 yr vet who solicited a 14yr boy.  He arrived with his lube and sex tapes in a bag and a change of clothes when we arrested him.  The chat conversations were horrific-talk of bareback, blood and hurting the boy.  He pled and got 8 yrs in Federal court.  This cop is on the list
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

NO!

What happened, is the woman told her shrink about it, and they got word to the police chief, who had the state officers investigate. Apparently the shrink felt that it was endangerment to be able to break doctor patient confidentiality. Sounds like she was bat shit crazy, dependancy issues, and here comes the friendly man in blue to comfort her. Not the best use of judgement by the officer, regardless. I guess being put on the sex offender registry would have to be determined by just HOW much batshit crazy she really is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:18:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm just wondering how you got this thread up before Bama-shooter....
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And those who do deserve to be on it don't deserve the unconstitutional infringement of privacy.

If you can't be trusted to rejoin society - with all the rights and priveledges thereof - then you should stay in jail.  This scarlet letter bullsh*t isn't a deterrent and it isn't sane, usual punishment.
This. If you cannot be trusted to be around kids, own a gun, etc., why are you among us?

The #1 smoke screen the grabbers like to put down is how they're just trying to keep guns out of the wrong hands.

I say we keep them out of the wrong hands by turning the entire state of California into a prison.

The libs love rehabilitating them, give them their wish...

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:24:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Hitting on someone with mental health issues sounds like aggravated bad manners to me, but  I don't see sexual assault here.  I didn't see any details on the sixty-seven year old the article mentioned; wonder what the deal was there?

ETA: Saw this after I posted:
Quoted:
What happened, is the woman told her shrink about it, and they got word to the police chief, who had the state officers investigate. .

This doesn't change my opinion, but thanks for clearing up the issue of who reported it.  Not doubting you, but a source would be nice.

Jane
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:32:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like consent to me.

Yep..  
Probably pissed he wouldn't leave his wife for her..  My Father always said, "Play with a turd, you'll get shit on your hands.."
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#19]
She felt obligated, she told police, to give him what he wanted: Oral sex –– up to a dozen times during the course of 14 months, almost always while he was in uniform and with a gun on his belt.

"When asked why she didn't resist or say no, (her) response was she felt she had to and that he was a figure of authority, a police officer," wrote the state police detective who interviewed the woman.

"I blame myself," the woman said. "I mean, I could have said no, but what do you say? He's a cop."

Yeah ok whatever...

*leaves thread*
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

67??

He got a gum job....

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hitting on someone with mental health issues sounds like aggravated bad manners to me, but  I don't see sexual assault here.  I didn't see any details on the sixty-seven year old the article mentioned; wonder what the deal was there?

ETA: Saw this after I posted:
Quoted:
What happened, is the woman told her shrink about it, and they got word to the police chief, who had the state officers investigate. .

This doesn't change my opinion, but thanks for clearing up the issue of who reported it.  Not doubting you, but a source would be nice.

Jane

The victim kept the secret until March 2009, when she told her psychiatrist and her Ottawa County Mental Health caseworker, reports show. The allegations reached Grand Haven Public Safety Chief Dennis Edwards, who asked state police to investigate

Ah, thank you.  As I said, I see this as pretty crappy behavior on the officer's part but not sexual assault.  I suppose the woman in question could be sufficiently looney as to render meaningful consent impossible, but, even if this were the case here, unless the officer had access to her mental health records, I don't see how he could be held accountable under this concept.

Gender notwithstanding, some people treat other people poorly.  Boys and girls - shit happens.  Life.

Jane

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't think he should be on the sex offender registry either....

The charge he plead to is a five year felony and he was sentenced to serve 60 days in jail, with one day credited for time served, 24 months probation, 150 hours of community service, and was ordered to pay $645 in fines in 20th Circuit Court.

The part that is scary, if it is true,   "Once, he appeared suddenly, in uniform, in her bedroom at 2 or 3 a.m, standing in the dark, she told police." that and the 67 year old woman part...  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:18:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:19:18 AM EDT
[#24]
lot of lose in this situation. I don't think (and this was a rough call for me) the cop should be branded as a sexual predator or any such thing but I sincerely question his morality and his decision making ability.
If I were assign a sentence I would have him removed from his job and forbid him from working in any direct law enforcing capacity.
Good thing I ain't in charge eh?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#25]
What's the term for someone in a position of power having sex with someone who may be unwilling but consents because of the perceived position of power?
I'm not claiming that's what this is, just can't remember the term...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Thread didn't go the way you thought it would.

Depends is he use to going over there late at night and getting his dick sucked?

What does the old chick look like?[/quote]

The thread is going exactly how I thought it would...  So you are ok with what he did? (Which I doubt you are) The officer showed a pretty serious lack of judgement, if you ask me.

I have no idea what either woman looks like. But I'm going to guess the fat-ass officer is a bottom feeder and not real picky.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#27]
how does consenual sex for over a year=sex offender?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's okay to loose your right to keep and bear arms? where's the priorities here?

Either you're rehabilitated or you're not.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't see a major crime here other than Adultery and wasting taxpayer time because he did it while on duty...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#30]
To the OP, are you suggesting the cop should be on the sex offender list?

Heck, I'm not even sure why he was charged with a crime.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
how does consenual sex for over a year=sex offender?

Coercing consent by displaying your authority over someone is "sexual assault" in some places.  I don't think that's what happened here.  It sounds more like a psychiatrist over-reacted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top