Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 3:52:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The laser beam struck one pilot in the eye, causing "flash blindness," and interfered with pilots' ability to land the other plane.

I can understand how that could be difficult.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy all the handheld pointers you can folks.

They're gonna ban 'em someday.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid games win Stupid prizes
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The laser beam struck one pilot in the eye, causing "flash blindness," and interfered with pilots' ability to land the other plane.

I can understand how that could be difficult.

my thoughts exactly

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Stupid for sure, but damned if it's not hard to wake up in California and not have broken one law or another. I wonder what motivates people to point lasers at aircraft  is it "hey hold mah beer and watch this yuk yuk" trying to crash a plane or what?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Good
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
He ought to get the "dumbshit" enhancement.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Bout 11 years ago when we were 7 my cousin and I got a pair of cheapo walkie talkies and a fighter simulator/game, falcon 4.0 for Christmas. One of the things they said in the game a lot was "archer inbound" which meant a missile was being fired at you or whatever. Well we were messing around and we somehow managed to get an airplane on the thing- maybe $30 radios. It was saying things like "bearing 02393924" and mostly listing numbers and shit, and being 7 we said "archer inbound" and the pilot was like "what the fuck"
then we hid in our fort because we thought the FBI was going to come after us
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Stupid for sure, but damned if it's not hard to wake up in California and not have broken one law or another. I wonder what motivates people to point lasers at aircraft  is it "hey hold mah beer and watch this yuk yuk" trying to crash a plane or what?

Its been a law for a while and a good one too. Unless you like crashed airplanes.

People were also shining them on cops, making them understandably nervous, think laser sight.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone with half a brain would know better than doing something like that.  Unfortunately, as we've recently seen, 52% of the population has less than that amount of gray matter.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Anyone with half a brain would know better than doing something like that.  Unfortunately, as we've recently seen, 52% of the population has less than that amount of gray matter.

Yep, just hit youtube, search a bit, and see what the mouth breathers are like now.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy all the handheld pointers you can folks.

They're gonna ban 'em someday.

Which is why I got my 90Mw green laser that can pop ballons and light matches.  That thing is scarry cool.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
2 and a half years seems like a low amount of time for what amounts to over 260 counts of attempted murder.  And that's just how many people were on the planes.  Countless lives endangered on the ground as well.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Good.   Lasing us here can get you shot, just saying.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bout 11 years ago when we were 7 my cousin and I got a pair of cheapo walkie talkies and a fighter simulator/game, falcon 4.0 for Christmas. One of the things they said in the game a lot was "archer inbound" which meant a missile was being fired at you or whatever. Well we were messing around and we somehow managed to get an airplane on the thing- maybe $30 radios. It was saying things like "bearing 02393924" and mostly listing numbers and shit, and being 7 we said "archer inbound" and the pilot was like "what the fuck"

Did something similar but with the po-po.  Whaddya expect from little kids who are 7?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
how did they possibly find the guy that was shinning the laser? wouldnt that be like finding a needle in a hay stack?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But it really wasn't 52%.

It was probably more like 40%, and another 4 percent who voted three times.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

how did they possibly find the guy that was shinning the laser? wouldnt that be like finding a needle in a hay stack?

Depends who he shines it at...

Lasers point both ways on FLIR & NVGs....

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Didn't you see that one episode of CSI?  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure ya did
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#21]
crap.. My hand shakes so bad at 20 ft with a laser it looks like a light show... how could someone possibly hit the eyes of a pilot at 300 mph from the ground on purpose...   more govt BS

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Calif. Man Gets Prison for Aiming Laser at Planes

................planes were about to land at John Wayne Airport on the night of May 21, 2008.

The Duke doesn't put up with that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

crap.. My hand shakes so bad at 20 ft with a laser it looks like a light show... how could someone possibly hit the eyes of a pilot at 300 mph from the ground on purpose...   more govt BS

They were on approach which I am not an aviation expert but I assume is somewhere between 130-150kts probably about 1000 to 2500 feet off the ground maybe a little higher.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They were on approach which I am not an aviation expert but I assume is somewhere between 130-150kts probably about 1000 to 2500 feet off the ground maybe a little higher.

ok... 150 to 175 mph... I sure couldnt do it... and wouldnt... stupid anyway..
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#26]

its not that hard to point and hit a plane with a laser. we're not talking about your $5 red laser pointer, most of the time people are using green lasers, the entire beam is visible, they are easy to point and hold steady, we used them in Astronomy class for pointing out stars and what not.

one way or another I'm happy to see someone finally go to jail over this, hopefully it will make the news and be a warning to others.

Quoted:

Which is why I got my 90Mw green laser that can pop ballons and light matches.  That thing is scarry cool.

Who made yours? I have been shopping around, though I'm thinking one that can light cigars as well...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top