Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:55:22 PM EDT
Earlier today the apartment behind mine caught on fire. My apartment started filling with smoke, which alerted me to the problem and I got out just as the smoke detector started going off. It turns out the idiot behind me probably left a candle burning in his bathroom when he went to work.

Now I'm nervous about going to sleep. Living in an all wood structure with my life in the hands of 27 other people living in 16 apartments, after one of them almost burned the place to the ground, has me a little jumpy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sleep in the car.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Pre-emptive strike....burn the complex down yourself now, so you won't be caught off guard.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Too bad you don't own it, you could collect a good piece of change on the insurance and move somewhere nice.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pre-emptive strike....burn the complex down yourself now, so you won't be caught off guard.

now that is funny i must admit. what i dont understand is why are you aftraid of fire now? chances are best that it wont happen. people are more cautious, although what if there is an lit ember lurking? well, im tired good night.

seriously i wouldnt worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

what i dont understand is why are you aftraid of fire now?

I don't think that he is just now afraid of it. It's just the realization that it very well could happen to him.

Like he said, 27 other people in the complex/building and one of them almost burned it down.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Too bad you don't own it, you could collect a good piece of change on the insurance and move somewhere nice.

I am moving somewhere nice...on Friday. Another apartment complex. This is a single building that has a substantial amount of concrete construction. The interiors are wood and drywall, but the building itself is concrete. Be a lot harder for some jackass to burn that whole place down.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:07:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My apt is old so it has no sprinklers of any kind.  So last year the neighbors next to me decided to stick some rags in a pan with water and boiled it and left.  IT set off their smoke detector and I called 911.  The fire department came fast.  They said they send a ton of help here because they know these would go up in smoke in no time.  These are concrete building too built in the 60's.  The best part of all is that the people still live there.  My first thought was saving my collection and also what to tell the fire department about how much ammo I have.  Very scary night.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Earlier today the apartment behind mine caught on fire. My apartment started filling with smoke, which alerted me to the problem and I got out just as the smoke detector started going off. It turns out the idiot behind me probably left a candle burning in his bathroom when he went to work.

Now I'm nervous about going to sleep. Living in an all wood structure with my life in the hands of 27 other people living in 16 apartments, after one of them almost burned the place to the ground, has me a little jumpy.

Your neighbor masturbates by candle light

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I will use this opportunity to ask––––do you have a renter's policy?  

It is relatively inexpensive (think $20 per month or so) and in the event something like this happens, it really helps you get back on your feet.

10 years ago––-a building in my complex burned to the ground right before Christmas, leaving 8 people homeless.  Only one had insurance.  They others had to rely on the kindness of family, friends and strangers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I feel your pain.   After my upstairs neighbor's meth lab blew up I've been VERY paranoid about fire.   There's nothing like looking out the window at about 5:00 am and seeing an orange glow on the sidewalk and then walking outside and seeing flames roaring out of the apartment above you.     I'm in a house now and feel much better.  

ETA:  I didn't have renters insurance at the time but I was very fortunate and only lost a pair of shoes to water damage.  I got renters insurance the next week.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing you can really do in your situation except maybe to tell the apartment managers office to send out a memo telling neighbors to be careful with candles and be mindfull of others...

Get renters insurance. When I live din apartment I always had it. I think the most I ever paid was like 48 bucks a year through statefarm. Did I ever need it? No. But I didnt want to bet on all the other idiots in the complex either. Good luck man.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My apt is old so it has no sprinklers of any kind.  So last year the neighbors next to me decided to stick some rags in a pan with water and boiled it and left.  IT set off their smoke detector and I called 911.  The fire department came fast.  They said they send a ton of help here because they know these would go up in smoke in no time.  These are concrete building too built in the 60's.  The best part of all is that the people still live there.  My first thought was saving my collection and also what to tell the fire department about how much ammo I have.  Very scary night.

The ammo is not gonna be a big problem. This happens all the time. Scares the hell out of me when it does.
The problem you will find yourself in is dying from the smoke. Get a fire safe. GET OUT!!! Fishing out crispy critters is never fun and stays in your head for a long time.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am moving somewhere nice...on Friday. Another apartment complex. This is a single building that has a substantial amount of concrete construction. The interiors are wood and drywall, but the building itself is concrete. Be a lot harder for some jackass to burn that whole place down.

Concrete don't have to burn to the ground, it is usually smoke inhalation that kills you

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, I have a renters insurance.

That said, my reaction was worse than I had anticipated. I woke up 3 times last night thinking that the building was on fire, and I never got a wink of sleep. I've been up for a loooong time now and it's killing me. I'm going to a hotel.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#17]
You know a lot of people say that being killed in a fire isn't all that bad, they say you get knocked out from the smoke before you really feel anything.

Those people are full of shit.

Soot stained airways, cherry red organs, fire so hot it splits flesh and cracks bone. It's a horrible way to go.

Anyway....what was the question?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Know how that can go; after neighbor kids caught my yard on fire this last summer; was having a hard time getting to sleep wondering if we had missed a hot-spot, or not.  Thundercell came through and drenched everything so I didn't worry long.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You know a lot of people say that being killed in a fire isn't all that bad, they say you get knocked out from the smoke before you really feel anything.

Soot stained airways, cherry red organs, fire so hot it splits flesh and cracks bone. It's a horrible way to go.

Thank you, Mr. Sunshine.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Make sure you are paid up on renters insurance, make surre to put fresh batteries in the smoke alarm, and mayne invest in a good safe for important documents/valuables.

*shrug*

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Uh... okay.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top