Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:34:27 PM EDT
I've been looking into it, I know my Dad and Brother would not let me be.

But what would you all do if you had nobody?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont even know......

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go to Goodwill and get a suit and tie with my last dollars.
I'd spend all day in hotels attending conventions and eating off of the buffet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
It'd be pretty much impossible in my case, unless my entire family died AND I had a pretty severe physical disability of some sort.

I'd have to choose to be homeless, honestly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
i would probably not be an arfcommer anymore
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd head out to Aspen and live like a middle class guy would elsewhere.  Plus you could ski.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Pretty sure the Navy would find a spot for me

<––

ETA-

How exactly can you be "homelessness"? Does it involve some manner of mind altering substance

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
live in the woods. work two jobs.

above poster has the right idea.  i would enlist
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
People chose to be homeless.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Start saving money NOW.  Checkout the community resources - Public Library for computers and newspapers, homeless shelters, make sure I had a van or camper to sleep in, get a post office box for mail, check out the free food places (Here we have Dixie Care and Share, plus a number of Churches), check in with Social Services, they might have some emergency services available for you.  How about the military?  Make sure I had a job.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#10]
i'd head to key west where i would pick pocket tourist.  family won't let me though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Into the Wild..Supertramp....hopefully I wouldnt die of stupidity though......
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
"how would you handle being homelessness?".

Perhaps if you learned proper English you could avoid becoming homeless.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I would be completely drunk all the time and yell at families exiting WalMart and get tresspassed from city and state property and also skip out on all preceeding warrants.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
How would I handle being homelessness?  

You know, I think I'd love to be the embodiment of structureless living.  To really be desperation incarnate would, in short, kick fucking ass.  

Oh.  You meant how would I handle homelessness or being homeless?  

That would suck.  Go to central America and run guns out of Nicaragua.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a family.

I cannot become homeless unless its TEOTWAWKI and then...I'm an arfcomer...I'll find a way to survive
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
How would I handle being homeless?

Probably the first thing I would do is try to improve my grammar.

Beyond that, no clue.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Bark at the squirrels. Eventually they will take me in as a guest.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Into the Wild..Supertramp....hopefully I wouldnt die of stupidity though......

I've seen that movie supertramp. He fucked up.

These days may be different about the work and this and that.

Right now I would love to have a job a mcdonalds, that damn clown will not hire me because I am an engineering student.

Fuck that clown.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd really have to work to be.  I'm not above doing any job, if it's all that's available to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Start with a makeshift tent; and work up from there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Move somewhere the weather is nice, like Hawaii or San Diego.  At least if you are going to be homeless have some nice scenery.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup, these days the only people who truly live on the streets are people with substance abuse issues or mental issues. Both of which have no place on the streets.
There are so many programs to help people who actually want help out there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, these days the only people who truly live on the streets are people with substance abuse issues or mental issues. Both of which have no place on the streets.

There are so many programs to help people who actually want help out there.

I belive local deprecions are going to happen. The .gov is trying to extend unemployment a few weeks.

Just watch what happens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had a home all my life, it would seriously disrupt my lifestyleness if I became homelessness.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#27]
-Drink several 24 oz cans of Steel Reserve

-Piss myself

-Repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I would never go homeless. I would go from the prey to preditor overnight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#29]
If you became homeless, you would have become homelessness.
Or you have become a bum.

I've seen that movie jules.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would never go homeless. I would go from the pray to preditor overnight.

who are you going to pray to?  i think you mean prey, andi i was a fucking C student.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I was homeless for a few weeks in 1993.  We lost our home when the Mississippi river flooded that year.  We (Myself, wife, and two small kids,) camped out in a local state park for a few weeks till we got resettled in our new home.  We go camping for fun all the time and it was nice spring weather, so it was no big deal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Dude, I think a lot of us here have been worried about you for a while. Seriously, talk to somebody.
We wanna see ya back to normal around here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank

I ditched English class and smoked dope - Man. I was trying to learn ebonic not english. Give me a break.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Dunno...never happened.

HH
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, I think a lot of us here have been worried about you for a while. Seriously, talk to somebody.

+1,000,000–– I hope you can get some normality back into your life, I'll be hoping for the best for you Brother.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok I'm talking to you.

I like your avatar friend.

I want to be back to normal also.

Guess what, I am having an end of life senerio.

Thanks for you and others worry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMRi-gFeK-M

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Start saving money NOW.  Checkout the community resources - Public Library for computers and newspapers, homeless shelters, make sure I had a van or camper to sleep in, get a post office box for mail, check out the free food places (Here we have Dixie Care and Share, plus a number of Churches), check in with Social Services, they might have some emergency services available for you.  How about the military?  Make sure I had a job.

I was dirt poor for a short time and learned to live dirt cheap or without. I guess I would live out of my car, try to get cleaned up enough to hunt for a job or stand in front of Home Depot like the day workers to find work. Use libraries and other community services to find work. But number one is job, then shelter and food.

But I have always had friends and family that would help me if I asked.

I have heard that some of those people with signs begging pull down a lot of money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Bark at the squirrels. Eventually they will take me in as a guest.

Hey what ever works.

Be careful, they might think your a nut and try to eat you instead.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd pee on stuff...

That's about as far as I got. I'm going to go make nachos.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree, the OP sounds like a chinaman
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I lived in my car and took showers at truck stops. gets old.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I would get a job (any job) then a home.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Pretty sure the Navy would find a spot for me

<––

ETA-

How exactly can you be "homelessness"? Does it involve some manner of mind altering substance

I think it involves writing neo modern performance pieces and voting for the communist party because "Obama is too right wing".

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Suicide by fighting a chimp.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh, I think I would be on my feet again after maybe a month or two in the shelters.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I would sell two out of my 3 cars, use the proceeds to buy a cheap motorhome.
Then I would go live in my van (motorhome) down by the river.....
OP: I don't know you, but if what the other guys are saying is true and you are having probems dealing with things, please get some help if you need it.

About 12 years ago I had a business venture go south on me, I went from being on top of the world to being jobless, carless, pennyless and within a day or two of being homeless a couple of times. It really, really ground on my soul and I had some tough emotional things to deal with. It got better, much better.

Heck, I am out of work right now, but I am hanging in there staying somewhat positive, because I know things will improve.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#47]
LInk to a pretty good website about how to survive homeless.

This site appears to have been made by someone who has BTDT. He has lots of tips about how to deal with homelessness.

ETA: I decided long ago that, while I can sleep in my car, I can NOT drive to work in my house.

For a long time, I owned a van for that very reason. I had a bed in the back and everything. Funny thing is, when I put the bed in the back, my Dad stopped shitting on me (I lived with my parents at the time). I just now figured that out.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I "couch surfed" a bit when I was younger.

It wasn't that bad, learned a lot. Most of all that no one has the right to complain about trivial shit when they have a roof over their heads.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:49:31 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It wasn't that bad, learned a lot. Most of all that no one has the right to complain about trivial shit when they have a roof over their heads.

Same here.

If it happened now, and I had no wife or family, I guess it would just be a hardcore camping trip for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.    

If it happened now, and I had no wife or family, I guess it would just be a hardcore camping trip for the rest of my life.

It would be a lot easier this time around.

That was about 12 years ago, I was 20. Oddly enough it was one of the best experiences I've ever been through.

It might sound cliche, but there is something very liberating about having nothing to lose. Nobody can fuck with you. Also when you're completely on your own, with no security net, you have no choice but to tough it out. That time on my own showed me how to be a man and made me realize that I can survive anything.

It was sort of an "urban adventure". I was fortunate enough to find many young ladies to spend time with, shit I got laid more then than I have at any other time in my life.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top