Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 7:26:32 PM EDT
I know you can't use a regular scope on an air-rifle, but what about the other way round.

I got a great deal on the Daisy 3-9x40 on the clearance shelf at Walmart.  $14.00  (Have no idea who actually makes it, but it compared favorably with the 3-9x40 Leupold. -The Leupold was nicer, but not 14 times nicer)

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Airgun scopes are different in that they are meant to withstand recoil in the opposite direction of most scopes right?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Airgun scopes are different in that they are meant to withstand recoil in the opposite direction of most scopes right?

No, springers have a good normal recoil as the piston accelerates forward, then a sharp back recoil as the piston slams against the end of the compression chamber.
They will be fine on a regular rifle.
Air rifles are real rifles BTW.  Unless they are smooth bore, in which case they are air guns

Most air rifle specific scopes have close focusing plus parallax adjustment for close range.  Yes, it matters for higher magnification.   most will go down to 15 yards/meters.  Any closer, just dial magnification down.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you launch an ICBM horizontally?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sure, as long as it is able to transition to a ballistic trajectory, otherwise it is just a missile.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've done to a .22 before without ill effects.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sure, but why would you want to?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, but why would you want to?

There we go!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does Walmart sell ICBM's ?

BTW-  The Ammo panic is abating.  They had .45, 9mm,

Thousands of rounds of Federal and Remington .223 at 40 cents a round.

Still too rich more my blood, but it's heading in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]
airgun scope on a center fire rifle won't hold zero for long.  you get what you pay for
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I run a $30 "Tasco" 3-9x40 scope on my AR. The recoil jars the scope enough that you temporarily lose the sight picture, but it has kept zero for at least 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

airgun scope on a center fire rifle won't hold zero for long.  you get what you pay for

Want to bet?  Springers will toast most centerfire scopes QUICKLY because there is a violent rearward shove of the rifle followed by a sharp impact forward.

The piston moves fast enough to cause dieseling if any oil is in the compression chamber.  Most springers get about 40% of the pellet energy from the residual grease in the compression chamber.  Theoretically, a little over 5 milligrams of oil would TRIPLE the energy of my RWS 48.  It isn't bad with 19 foot pounds without dieseling.  With diesel, it would probably be faster than a .22 CCI Stinger

Springer scope mounts are far stronger than any centerfire rifle mount.  Plus it is quite easy for someone to put 30k rounds through a springer.  I'm at 24k and counting on my RWS 48.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I can put a sock on my penis but ya gotta understand.... It dont belong there.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

WRONG...  unless you are talking about one of the $20.00 air rifle scopes from Walmart.

A rifle scope is designed for one direction of recoil.  A spring piston air rifle has recoil in both directions and will knock the reticle out of a quality center fire rifle scope in short order.  Because of this the air rifle scopes are built to take recoil in both directions, making the internals stronger.

I have a quality air rifle scope on one of my Ruger 10/22T rifles.  The other one has a Leupold scope.  Both scopes perform well, and I would never dream of putting the Leupold on the air rifle.  It is too good of a scope to destroy that way!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG...  unless you are talking about one of the $20.00 air rifle scopes from Walmart.

A rifle scope is designed for one direction of recoil.  A spring piston air rifle has recoil in both directions and will knock the reticle out in short order.  Because of this the air rifle scopes are built to take recoil in both directions, making the internals stronger.

I have a quality air rifle scope on one of my Ruger 10/22T rifles.  The other one has a Leupold scope.  Both scopes perform well, and I would never dream of putting the Leupold on the air rifle.  It is too good of a scope to destroy that way!

AFAIK, Leupolds will work.  You always have the warranty

This is but one of the reasons for air rifle specific scopes.  Close focus/parallax is the other.  And when you are shattering aspirin at 30 yards, 12 power isn't too much.  

I would not hesitate to use a quality 1" or 30 mm air rifle specific scope on any center fire rifle.  They will easily handle the stress.  Some still have heavy duty steel tubes where most center fire scopes are aluminum.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top