Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 6:54:03 PM EDT
So I think I've got shin splints.  Anyone know of a miracle cure?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Stretch hamstrings/lower back?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Asian massage parlor.

You will feel better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
bathtub full of ice.

and stopping running.

fatter is better
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of Bananas.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Three things you basically MUST do:

1. Take Tylenol like candy.

2. Wrap in ice, non stop.

3. Stop running. Shin splits don't just magically get better. You've gotta lay off running and start a little slower.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Staying off your feet as much as possible is the only real cure.  I had stress fractures in boot camp and rest was the only thing that would help them get better.

Shin splints are a form of stress fracture.  I had them too... It was a hoot!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Masturbate uncontrollably
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
My shin slits stopped when I got a better pair of running shoes.  

Now I just have to do something about this whole "running out of breath feeling like my chest will explode" feelling I get.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
damn, i really didn't want to stop running.  i'm finally getting in shape, and this will set me back a bit.  guess i'll have to switch to the stationary bike/elliptical.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never found a miracle cure. I have found new shoes help (if they are worn out) and walking around on your heals and also doing toe lifts (standing and lifting your feet up onto your heels to strengthen the front of your shins up)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Ice.  Stop running for a while.  Do some exercises to strengthen your tibialis anterior.

Shin splints come directly from the Devil himself.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty much all of the above, but Get a decent pair of running shoes if you dont already.  .  Find out your step style and get the type of shoes that match.  i.e.  do you steps pronate, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#13]
go to active.com or runnersworld.com and check the medical threads under the running section
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had them until I PCSed to APG where ALL the roads are 24" of solid concrete.  The worst surface to run on and I had the best running shoes available.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do some exercises to strengthen your tibialis anterior..

hmm, i looked up some exercises on youtube, and it looks like it's the tibialis posterior that's giving me trouble.  

point taken though.  i'll switch to the stationary bike and go heavy on ice/ibuprofen
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I had them real bad in Basic at Ft.Benning. Basically had to walk it off.

Pure agonizing hell but with the Sr Drill "motivating" me to drive on, I did just that. Honestly ever since road that  marching has been a joke to me. I looked forward to Fridays 12 miler. We did 6 on Monday. 9 on Wed and 12 on Fri. To me it was a fast stroll and I always left out last and came in first.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#17]
4-12 of these should work nicely.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you seen xrays?  They are vertical fractures in your shins.  Lots of them when you have a bad case of it.

I got arch supports for my boots, and spent some money on good New Balance running shoes, also got some good quality vitamins and took them religiously..  None of that would have helped, except that I also got two weeks off for Christmas, and that seemed to be long enough for my shins to knit themselves back together, somewhat.

They still hurt afterwards, but not nearly as much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Dont run for a month.

When you start again, ease into it. After you run, ice your shins and elevate them.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Running backwards strengthens your shins, this has helped for me. Staying off of them help as well, they need time to heal. I have been fighting splints for over 2 years and they are only getting marginally better. I play 2 baseball games on the weekends and 2 softball games on Sunday, it makes it tough to stay off of them. Good luck, I wouldn't wish shin splints on my worst enemy, they are awful.

Olycar15
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Run on the front of your feet, like little girls, like when you were a small kid... It helps some people, builds up your calf's to.

I had to do a run for something, I thought the distance was silly, but I had to do it. A doc friend gave me some stuff (not narcotics) and I got through the run okay, but my shins/legs were fucked for a few days and hurt for a while.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Duck walk on your heels, lots of ice and ibuprofen.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you seen xrays?  They are vertical fractures in your shins.  Lots of them when you have a bad case of it.

i haven't had x-rays, but i've heard that shin-splints are actually tendonitis.  that's certainly what it feels like to me.  i can press the shit out of the bone itself, but when i start applying pressure to the calf muscle (on the inside of my leg, near the back of the tibia) it hurts like a bitch.  massage, ice, and anti-inflammatory drugs seem to help temporarily.  during a my typical cardio workout, it (only happens on my right leg) hurts pretty bad at first, then loosens up and is easily tolerable for the rest of the run.  of course i take 3 ibuprofen about an hour beforehand...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Nothing really helps. Just enjoy the agony.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i haven't had x-rays, but i've heard that shin-splints are actually tendonitis.  that's certainly what it feels like to me.  i can press the shit out of the bone itself, but when i start applying pressure to the calf muscle (on the inside of my leg, near the back of the tibia) it hurts like a bitch.  massage, ice, and anti-inflammatory drugs seem to help temporarily.  during a my typical cardio workout, it (only happens on my right leg) hurts pretty bad at first, then loosens up and is easily tolerable for the rest of the run.  of course i take 3 ibuprofen about an hour beforehand...

I'm no expert. Maybe shit splints is a general term for pain in the shin area.  When I had them in basic training, they first gave me ibuprofin and told me to walk it off.  After it kept getting worse, they finally took xrays and it showed dozens (or hundreds) of vertical fractures in the shin bone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#26]
New shoes, good ones
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Shoes that are made for your running style will stop you from getting them. You will need time off to heal though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Mother Army would give you 800 mg Ibuprofen, and a profile.  The following day you would receive a huge dose of ridicule during PT for being a "Profile Ranger", and the shin splints would immediately go away.

Try changing shoes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top