Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:53:15 PM EDT
Well, sometimes.  I'm talking to my SIL about Christmas presents.  I called my brother yesterday to ask him a question about buying his wife a present and he still hasn't returned my phone call and I don't suspect that he will anytime within the next 2-3 weeks because he's a flake like that.  Anyway, I'm on FB and I asked her if she wanted a Christmas present.  I said, if you do tell my bum brother to give me a call.  She said don't worry about it and I know why, they can't afford to give us anything back.  I don't expect anything back, ever.  I haven't gotten a present from my brother in years. He's just never had any extra money.  Then I started thinking about last year.  Last year he sends me an e-mail and says "sorry we didn't get you anything this year, we just couldn't afford to" ~sent from Joey's Iphone.  Sometimes I just don't get it.  I really don't care about him not giving us anything I just wish he could/would get his shit together.

<Title edit.  Please do not use the F-word in thread titles.  ––tbk1>
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Christmas threads are not allowed until after Thanksgiving Day!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
fine, I'll wait to bump it later. However, it's more of a "My brother is a dumbass who can't hardly take care of his family because his priorities are all sorts of fucked up." thread
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

fine, I'll wait to bump it later.

Team does not take orders from non-team.
You post about Christmas whenever the fuck you want to!

ETA: ARFCOM COC Compliant smilies:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Owned

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Owned

good fucking call. I hadn't noticed. Sorry, been up since 0300

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad I could help. Bed time maybe
?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Glad I could help. Bed time maybe
?

hmmmm, maybe

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Give folks whatever you think makes them feel good. Expect nothing in return.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Halloween crap will be 90 percent off at Target Wednesday,
get him a 14 dollar gargoyle for a buck forty
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
if they can't afford to give you something just talk to your bro and come to a mutual agreement to do a card or something instead.

I have been on both ends,  I have had extra money and I've been the broke guy. It's *INCREDIBLY* tough to get presents from someone who is better off financially than you are.  they can even say "nothing required in return" but you still feel bad.

so you may be trying to be a loving brother but it's probably stressing them out.

we had the same situation with my sis and bil, I like them both, but it got harder and harder to buy gifts for each other,  and we have been a little luckier financially,  they have to pay child support to his ex wife etc.

anyway, I talked it out with sis, and she still wanted to do gifts, so what we do now is draw names from a pool,  and weh ave a 25 dollar max limit. We have three couples in the mix,  The kids go into their own pool, and the adults do their own pool.

works really well and avoids a lot of expense and stress.  And frankly, I'd rather spend money on a gift for myself than a bunch of gifts that they won't really use or didn't really want.  

I spend a LOT of time in the year trying to maximize my 25 bucks for my gift target. Last year I found an HP printer on edealinfo.com  that was Free plus 10 bucks back.  So you basically made ten bucks.  

I ordered three of them .  One for me, one for a spare and one for the victim. Then I took the ten bucks, added it to the 25 and had 35.

i found a scanner (which they needed ) that was 5 bucks after rebate,  I bought that,  and had 30 bucks. I used that and bought a CRKT folding knife that was 50% off.  So they got a sweet photo printer, a scanner and a great knife.

they always think I cheat but I show them receipts.  It's a lot of fun watching the bargain sites and getting as much as I can.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
fine, I'll wait to bump it later. However, it's more of a "My brother is a dumbass who can't hardly take care of his family because his priorities are all sorts of fucked up." thread

Many brothers are dumbasses.  Thank god mine didn't procreate

sympathies
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Fuck Christmas.

And don't start bitching about your brother until you catch him stealing from you and your mom. Don't ask.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I lost my brother when I was 17. i would give anything to have him around this christmas. Just be thankful you have a brother to call  an asshole.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Christmas thread already!>!>!?????!

It's not even Thanksgiving yet!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#15]
wife unit is super thrifty. We don't spend more than 20-25 on each person unless it's the kids and there are 4 of them. Everyone from the Grandparents, parents, siblings and neices and nephews get at least one thing. I don't mean to harp and it's definitely not what Christmas is all about but a frigging card would at least be nice. It just pisses me off that he can say, sorry I didn't get you anything in an E-mail and it's tagged as being from his iPhone. WTF!?

I would pay anything to have my brother around. I haven't seen him at Christmas for about 4 years now and I won't see him this year either.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I refuse to joint any organization that would have someone like me as a member!!!!

(PS... plus there is that teeny fact that I have been unemployed for a year this month!)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1  (or don't give 'em anything at all...  )

But seriously, it ain't about the presents and all this other commercialized nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 (or don't give 'em anything at all...
)

But seriously, it ain't about the presents and all this other commercialized nonsense.

No, it's not and I understand that.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I buy for kids....................the end.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

perfect
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quit bitching, Grinch.

My wife's B-day is 12-5 and my Daughter is 12-25.  Grandson is 01-10.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
My extended family solved that problem years ago: Everyone draws one name out of a hat, and gets that person a present. The value of the present can't be more than 25 bucks. So, everyone shops for one present, wraps it up, and then sits back and enjoys the season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top