Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 5:14:27 PM EDT
http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX.jsp?id=1202434856335&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Man let his finger get in front of the cylinder on a S&W 460 and lost a rather large chunk of offending finger. Sued S&W for making a dangerous product, judge ruled in favor of S&W.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
WARNING - DO NOT LOOK BACK INTO LASER WITH REMAINING EYE.

Amazing how many people are alive despite their best efforts...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#3]
WOW.  His finger was in front of the cylinder and it blew his finger off?  Never knew that could happen.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this the guy who posted his story here and it turned into a LONG thread? Or a different owner with the same mistake? I do know of a case of the same issue in my area, I'm sure there's more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WOW.  His finger was in front of the cylinder and it blew his finger off?  Never knew that could happen.

Yeah one of our members hear had this happen to his thumb with I believe the same gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
God Bless Texas!  

Common sense and personal accountability... What a concept.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Turns out that strap cutting thing works pretty good on fingers. Who would of thunk it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah one of our members hear had this happen to his thumb with I believe the same gun.

460's a big'un...

This is a freeze frame of my my brother shooting a 460 (Fieldsoverseer)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX.jsp?id=1202434856335&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Man let his finger get in front of the cylinder on a S&W 460 and lost a rather large chunk of offending finger. Sued S&W for making a dangerous product, judge ruled in favor of S&W.

ETA: Archived thread where the guy posted about the event. (I think it is the same guy, can anyone verify that?)

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=664580

Please tell me this wasn't our guy.  The S&W manual even has pictures for the illiterate demonstrating how properly hold and how to NOT hold the revolver when shooting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I watched the episode of Mythbusters where they confirmed It Can happen. Very interesting episode.

Roy
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
This isn't "our guy"  –– ours happened in 2008.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

phew, my faith in arfcomradery is restored.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I was next to a guy with one of these hand cannons at the range and when he fired, it blew fragments into my arm.  I showed him the bleeding spots on my arm and he didn't care at all.  He didn't even apologize.  I moved to another station.  Then he fired again and had his hand next to the cylinder and it bloodied up his hand.  He packed up and left.  I will not sit next to one of these again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Man who lost finger shooting a SW 460, also lost his lawsuit

Good.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the information. I removed the link to the archived thread.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]
God bless America!

DURR HURR HURR I'M A FUCKING IDIOT THAT BLEW MY OWN FINGER OFF!! TIME TO SUE!!!  

Glad he lost. Hope he dies.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I say it is that bastard's fault that I have owed a 460 for close to 2 years and have not fired it yet!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
We should all chip in and buy that guy a Glock, but only with the stipulation that he post pictures of any resulting Glockleg.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
God bless America!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Good.

Sorry he lost his finger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
God bless America!

You're not someone we need on this site.

HH
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Good.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Man who lost finger shooting a SW 460, also lost his lawsuit

Good.

I agree, Stupid is supposed to hurt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I fired a ruger blackhawk (.357mag) for my first revolver.

I had my hand close to the wrong position once and learned a lesson
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
God bless America!

HH

I am fairly certain that was sarcasm.

If you want to get pissing about the response there are plenty of threads everyday where people wish death and pain on the stupid and the ignorant. Or people  just plain posting funny response to the stupid, the ignorant, or the arrogant getting killed or gravely injured in undertaking dangerous or ill-advised activities.

I for one, hope the moron's attorney get the cosmic ban hammer for taking up the twit's case.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#26]
yeah but some bitch sues Mcdonald's for selling Hot Coffey and wins
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
yeah but some bitch sues Mcdonald's for selling Hot Coffey and wins

cause McD is the Wal-mart of fast food so they are greedy capitalist running dogs
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was next to a guy with one of these hand cannons at the range and when he fired, it blew fragments into my arm.  I showed him the bleeding spots on my arm and he didn't care at all.  He didn't even apologize.  I moved to another station.  Then he fired again and had his hand next to the cylinder and it bloodied up his hand.  He packed up and left.  I will not sit next to one of these again.

were the fragments and bleeding spots chunks of his bloody flesh?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I got pulled over for expired registration on my car, I'm not blaming the officer who pulled me over

I am blaming my state government though, after all they're the ones who made it a law  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Oh yeah man.  Get a package of hot dogs, hold one in front of the cylinder with your fingers clear and fire a round.  It will give you a healthy respect for proper hand position.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one and you can literally feel the heat on your face when you fire a .460 hornady round in it indoors.  It was also shaving off tiny pieces of jacketed .454's and sending them flying into my face, cutting my cheeck.  At first I didn't realize what was happening till I noticed I was bleeding.  Sent it in for repair and it's a little better but not 100% with .454's.

Another reason why you should ALWAYS wear shooting glasses!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
God bless America!

That was pretty uncalled for.......
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
God bless America!

Oddly enough, there is a part of your post that kind of describes you. I'll give you a hint. It's not in the first sentence, or the last two.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God bless America!

HH

I am fairly certain that was sarcasm.

If you want to get pissing about the response there are plenty of threads everyday where people wish death and pain on the stupid and the ignorant. Or people  just plain posting funny response to the stupid, the ignorant, or the arrogant getting killed or gravely injured in undertaking dangerous or ill-advised activities.

I for one, hope the moron's attorney get the cosmic ban hammer for taking up the twit's case.

You're entitled to your opinion, and so am I.

HH
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#35]
That's great news, maybe he'll sue his parents for raising a dumbass?

ETA, I think this was the finger in question:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have one and you can literally feel the heat on your face when you fire a .460 hornady round in it indoors.  It was also shaving off tiny pieces of jacketed .454's and sending them flying into my face, cutting my cheeck.  At first I didn't realize what was happening till I noticed I was bleeding.  Sent it in for repair and it's a little better but not 100% with .454's.

Another reason why you should ALWAYS wear shooting glasses!!

That does it.  First through mine will be a box of .45 LC.  Then +Ps.  Next the .454s.  I need my fingers.  And my face.....what would I do without it?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
God bless America!

HH

Perhaps he should have stated it more clearly, such as "I hope darwin's theory proves true with this guy"?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
God bless America!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Isn't this the guy who posted on a motorcycle forums that was cross-posted here or linked?   That picture above seems to have come from that.  I remember the guy asking questions saying that he was not interested in suing, but towards the end of a very long, multi-page thread, it became clear that was his intention.  

Somebody even posted a picture of the S&W manual where it said do not hold the revolver that way due to the risk of injury.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Isn't this the guy who posted on a motorcycle forums that was cross-posted here or linked?   That picture above seems to have come from that.  I remember the guy asking questions saying that he was not interested in suing, but towards the end of a very long, multi-page thread, it became clear that was his intention.  

Somebody even posted a picture of the S&W manual where it said do not hold the revolver that way due to the risk of injury.

Not our guy as GonzoAR15-1 stated the time frame is wrong and in the pick you'll notice that is a thumb and the article linked in the OP states the guy lost his left index finger.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, should have worked with the litigant in question here ... we might have had a chance if it was a class action

Just kidding of course, and that's my thumb pictured above.  Still hurts looking at it.  The difference is I quickly realized it was my own damn fault for making the mistake, and as such took full responsibility.  I didn't try to capitalize on my own mistake.  However, it would have been nice to learn the lesson with a 38 Special instead!  But then again, my 'freak thumb' as my daughter calls it is a great conversation starter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're too stupid to keep your hand away from the kaboom part of a firearm while firing it, then you get what you deserve.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://www.hatfirearmstraining.com/images/s_w460thumb.bmp

Damn.  Ow

Gas cutting can be a real bitch
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

He should have sued a baseball bat manufacturer instead
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#45]
First time i shot one was at an indoor range and it was epic win. Anybody who doesn't really take a hard look at their grip before shooting one of those has it coming. It's pretty damn obvious that gun is not something to be F'd with.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I remember some genius who had a Five Seven shot his reloads (5.7 is more finicky than a Garand in this respect) and wouldn't you know it blew up the guy and screwed his hand up,

So he asks FN "I shot my own reloads in this gun even though the manual says no reloads can I get a new pistol"?

FN say "Yeah.....No we don't do that for reload incidents"

He then goes on pretty much every internet gun forum (Here,THR,and The FSF for sure) and proceeds to go off on FN until they gave him a new gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I say it is that bastard's fault that I have owed a 460 for close to 2 years and have not fired it yet!

When an out of battery Barrett .50BMG detonation does less permanant damage I can understand.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Wow, should have worked with the litigant in question here ... we might have had a chance if it was a class action

Just kidding of course, and that's my thumb pictured above.  Still hurts looking at it.  The difference is I quickly realized it was my own damn fault for making the mistake, and as such took full responsibility.  I didn't try to capitalize on my own mistake.  However, it would have been nice to learn the lesson with a 38 Special instead!  But then again, my 'freak thumb' as my daughter calls it is a great conversation starter.

How's everything going with that?  Things heal up as well as could be expected?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Earth to Space:  If hot gas will cut a revolver's topstrap –– It will sure as he!! cut your flesh.  

Be safe.  Wear full-fingered LEATHER gloves.  Thick ones.  And stay behind the cyl/bbl gap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hatfirearmstraining.com/images/s_w460thumb.bmp

Damn.  Ow

Gas cutting can be a real bitch
Yep. This pic was with .460 ammo.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top