Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 2:46:02 PM EDT

The title says it all.

Can I get a pair of cheap sunglasses ($12-$25) that I can order replacement parts for?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#1]
insert joker not sure if serious here
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the cheaper Wiley-X?  I think they can be had for about $50 or less depending on model.

The model SG-1 would probably be cheap enough.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

insert joker not sure if serious here

serious
Why would I not be serious?

I'm tired of killing a $12 pair of sunglasses just because the pin on the arm hinge has broken.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had my Oakley Juliets for 8.5 years now.

Yes, they were $300, but I'm betting you've spent at least that much over the same time period.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Try industrial safety glasses, they're inexpensive and durable.  I like the Uvex brand with the "espresso" brown tint lens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've had my Oakley Juliets for 8.5 years now.

Yes, they were $300, but I'm betting you've spent at least that much over the same time period.

You lost your bet.

I've had 2 pair of 12-17 dollar pair of sunglasses break or get run over by my lawn mower in the last year.

Is there a pair of sunglasses that I can buy replacement parts for that don't cost over $20?

I've had oakleys before and I have owned zippos and other expensive things.

They just get lost or stolen.

I'm trying to go a different direction.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had my M Frames for over a decade now.
Last set of replacement lenses I bought for $25 from Dick's 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've taken to buying a few copies of whatever cheap ($15 or less) glasses I like and using them until they get scratched/lost then opening the visor storage and getting out the spare. I average a year or two per pair.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for safety glasses.  I've been wearing Nemesis glasses for awhile.  I forget what they cost, but it's less than $10.

I don't know of any cheap glasses with replacement parts.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought 2 pairs of Oakley Fives about 5 years ago. I'm still using the first pair, haven't worn the spare ones yet. The lenses are a little scratched, after probably 50 drops onto floors, driveways, parking lots, etc.

I might see about getting some new lenses, if they still make them for these frames.

ETA:

I usually wash them in dish detergent about once every couple of months, and pop  the lenses out and really deep clean them about twice a year.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#11]
uvexs safety glasses ftw!!I  have worn the same model for over ten years. Just replace the lens when they are scratched. the nose pieces do ware out also. I carry a few in my truck, work van, bob, and in stock at the shop.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I order Radians sunglasses from Midway by the dozen. Get a scratch? toss or give away.

$6 a pair I probably have spent $60 in the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I would bet it would cost you more money to buy replacement parts than to just buy 3 or 4 pairs of the same glasses at the same time..

Break a pair. switch to #2 pair..

Break #2, repair using first pair OR move on the pair #3,

break #3 repair with #1 &/or #2, OR move on to #4 -

at some point you should be able to make a pair or two just using the broken pairs..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I would bet it would cost you more money to buy replacement parts than to just buy 3 or 4 pairs of the same glasses at the same time..

Break a pair. switch to #2 pair..

Break #2, repair using first pair OR move on the pair #3,

break #3 repair with #1 &/or #2, OR move on to #4 -

at some point you should be able to make a pair or two just using the broken pairs..

the sunglass tree at the truck stop doesn't have 3 of the same pair
Your logic is sound in princaple but fails in reality
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top