Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 12:59:56 PM EDT
Don't worry, this didn't happen here. I sent a guy $80 for some goods and he was never to be heard from again.

As you might know, paypal has a "buyer protection policy."

I never put much merit into it but since I got taken, I figured I would give it a shot.

I filed a dispute and it was ruled in my favor. I was awarded $33.68 which was less than half of the amount I am owed.

I just got off a 20 minute call with paypal and I learned the following:

Me: So ma'am, you're telling me that all one needs to do to steal someone's money through paypal is to empty their account in the time that it would take the item to arrive through the mail? (The answer is yes)

Rep: We take a variety of things into consideraiton when trying to resolve a claim.

Me: Well either you're telling me how someone can be robbed through your business or that you can recover my funds. I'm considering that the price you charge for your services isn't worth the risk. (Intentional false dilemma)

I got put on hold after that line and they'd like to settle with me by giving me $25 in addition to the $33 they recovered in an effort to keep my business.

I told them I'd think about it and she left a note of it.

I'm a pessimist and realistically, this guy isn't going to respond to any letters he receives in the mail trying to collect a debt. If he wants to keep using paypal, all he needs to do is open another account without any flagged information. Paypal isn't going to twist his arm any more than that.

By taking paypal's offer, I would be settling with them by getting 72.5% of my money back. I would then promptly close my account.

What would you do? ("Keeping it real" is not an option as he lives too far from me and I don't want this thread to break CoC #4)

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have listened to all the complaints people posted against paypal and decided that it was not worth the risk.

I know people will say "I use it all the time and never got burned",then they will come and whine about the service when it finally happens.

Your best option is to take whatever they are offering,and then run away from them as fast as you can.

It's not just gun stuff.Look into paypalsucks.com and see for yourself just how great paypal really is!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You should have listened to all the complaints people posted against paypal and decided that it was not worth the risk.

I know people will say "I use it all the time and never got burned",then they will come and whine about the service when it finally happens.

Your best option is to take whatever they are offering,and then run away from them as fast as you can.

It's not just gun stuff.Look into paypalsucks.com and see for yourself just how great paypal really is!

I agree. I'm glad I'm only out $20 though, could be worse.

I'll take the offer before their CS line closes most likely.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
take the money, close the account.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you use a CC with PayPal?

Because, FUCK PayPal, and your story is EXACTLY why, when I've had to resolve disputes about non-delivery or other issues (3 in my lifetime that involved PayPal), I learned early on to simply bypass PayPal and go right to my CC company.

They then replace the money, and it's up to PayPal and the thief to prove they delivered or otherwise upheld their end of the deal.

Regardless, I always get my money back if someone fucks me.   PayPal has NEVER, EVER, EVEN ONCE been helpful in a dispute, and as a result, I simply don't rely on them to get resolution.  Ever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Next time use Citi credit card.  Somebody tried to screw me out of $1k on a copier. They sent the wrong one and PP left me out to dry.  I called Citi and they promptly took my money from PP and gave it back to me.

PP locked my account but so what, I got my $1k back.

PP said that if I ship the machine back to Shitcago at a cost of $300 they'd refund me my initial $1k but not the $300 shipping fee.  Yeah, like I'm going to spend more money.  I told them I'd put the machine on the porch and they could pick it up.  They never sent anyone to get it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They've already collected their fees. I doubt they could give less of a care to your problems. Take the settlement.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They've already collected their fees. I doubt they could give less of a care to your problems. Take the settlement.

Yup...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Gaypal is a bunch of theiving anti-gun nazi shithead fucktards!

Take the offer and EJECT!

I will NEVER use Gaypal again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
PayPal is nothing but a bunch of thieves. I suggest you file a complaint with IC3 and your state AG. All of their "protection plans" immediately become invalid the instant there is any fraud involved.

You're probably going to be better off just taking what they will give you and chalk it up to experience. Google PayPal scam. 2,470,000 hits. PayPal knows about all the holes in their system and still does nothing about them.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Take the money, and never do business with those thieving bastards again.  Paypal is run by Satan.  Google Checkout ftw.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because, FUCK PayPal, and your story is EXACTLY why, when I've had to resolve disputes about non-delivery or other issues (3 in my lifetime that involved PayPal), I learned early on to simply bypass PayPal and go right to my CC company.

They then replace the money, and it's up to PayPal and the thief to prove they delivered or otherwise upheld their end of the deal.

Regardless, I always get my money back if someone fucks me.   PayPal has NEVER, EVER, EVEN ONCE been helpful in a dispute, and as a result, I simply don't rely on them to get resolution.  Ever.
Ding, ding, ding.

I only use paypal through my CC, I would never, ever, ever, never, ever think of giving those idiots access to my bank account.

In a dispute (which I have never had to do), it would be through my CC company.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah that sounds all great and good (and it's what I did) but wait until paypal can't recover the funds from the thief and declares that YOU owe them what was backcharged.  I can't have a paypal account again unless I pay them $4300...the amount that my CC company backcharged from them and that they couldn't recover from the thief.  The only good news, they don't send you to collections or anything, you just get a message any time you try to create a new account saying that you are banned.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If you paid with your credit card you wouldn't have an issue....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The only way to not have a bad experiance with paypal is to never use them in the first place.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top