Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 12:54:58 PM EDT
So who knew that silencers left land and groove markings on a bullet?

According to CSI Miami I am watching they do! Apparently they could tell that a bullet dug out of a crime scene came from a silenced weapon due to the markings on the bullet.

*groan*
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe it had a baffle strike?
I assume that does leave some sort of mark on a fast moving piece of lead...?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

According to CSI Miami I am watching they do! Apparently they could tell that a bullet dug out of a crime scene came from a silenced weapon due to the markings on the bullet.

*groan*

You might get something if it was an old school suppressor w/ wipes.  Especially if it uses screen instead of rubber.... lol

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude..... it's fucking TV fer christ sake.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
maybe it had a baffle strike?
I assume that does leave some sort of mark on a fast moving piece of lead...?

But what if it was a copper jacketed bullet?

All those shows are fucking stupid and the entire Crime Drama genre needs to fucking stop.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

*groan*

Let me edit this down to facts:

Quoted:

CSI Miami

*groan*

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*groan*

You might get something if it was an old school suppressor w/ wipes.  Especially if it uses screen instead of rubber.... lol

With CSI Miami it's more likely they made it up.  Specific knowledge like what you just displayed, is something they lack in that show GREATLY.

The odds are in favor of them just being idiots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

*groan*

Quoted:

CSI

*groan*

Exactly.

ETA: We can actually distill this down even more.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]
TV

Groan.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to enjoy CSI:Miami, but the sort of stuff described in the OP was so common that I couldn't enjoy watching it.

I like crime-dramas. Some are better than others. NCIS is my current favorite (and only one I watch) , but even it is lacking in the reality department sometimes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The only saving grace of CSI: Miami is all the "scenery"

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I recall that episode.

The premise was that the can was not mounted straight and the bullet grazed the endcap on the way out, therefore they had something to compare to. They showed this in an animation at one point.

Pretty much complete bull, yes... but at least they offered some setup to explain it.

Wait one... how sad is it that I can recall this much detail about a piece of mindless entertainment but I still can't recall my exact age?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Examine some recovered bullets from a suppressed AR sometime and tell me if you can tell.

Here's a hint: yes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Examine some recovered bullets from a suppressed AR sometime and tell me if you can tell.

I am curious.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

*groan*

Quoted:
CSI Miami

*groan*

Allow me to be even more concise.

Quoted:
*groan*

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

*groan*

With CSI Miami it's more likely they made it up.  Specific knowledge like what you just displayed, is something they lack in that show GREATLY.    

The odds are in favor of them just being idiots.

I know.  Was just pointing out it's *barely* possible you could have marks on a bullet made by a correctly functioning can.  Now the baffle/end cap strike is another issue but I don't know how you'd know that from a muzzle break strike or the like, or even maybe just hitting something like a car door right after leaving the barrel.  I suppose you could rule it out mostly by saying it was from a handgun based on the rifling which normally wouldn't have those features.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am curious.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#17]
CSI does not portray realism. I work in a biomedical research lab at a university and their techniques and speed at which they do things make me laugh because they are so unrealistic. Not to say we can't study the things they do, but it might take a day with a trained technician instead of 1 second with their magic CSI wand.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
and another.. these make me lol

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I think I've seen both of those episodes...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
CSI does not portray realism. I work in a biomedical research lab at a university and their techniques and speed at which they do things make me laugh because they are so unrealistic. Not to say we can't study the things they do, but it might take a day with a trained technician instead of 1 second with their magic CSI wand.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1551/revealingtraits.jpg

So do I... your photo essay made me ... so true!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top