Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 12:10:02 PM EDT

Angelina Jolie, who has spent a ton of time with our troops, allowed her adopted son Maddox to dress as a wounded soldier for Halloween. She has stated in past interviews that he plays with his Army toys on a daily basis and has said that he will be a soldier when he grows up. She has taken him on tours of Navy ships and to meet and thank troops before. He appeared to be 'in awe', according to witnesses.

Her other children were dressed as Supergirl (Zahara), a pilot (Shiloh), and a warrior (Pax). Some people feel that seeing a child with Asian features dressed as a dead or wounded American soldier is spitting on the graves of Vietnam Veterans. Liberals have stated that this costume was insensitive during wartime, inappropriate for Maddox's age, and mocking of our service men and women who are currently wounded.

As for me personally ... I think it's a great reminder that there ARE wounded and dying troops. I wasn't physically able to hand out candy this year, but I've been seeing little kids dressed as soldiers with blood all over them all over my friend's Facebook pages. *I* dressed as a soldier one year and then let my cousin borrow my ROTC uniform for her own Halloween party a few years ago.

Given that Angelina Jolie has consistently supported our troops and actually gone to Iraq to spend time with them ... I don't think she would intentionally set out to mock or belittle anyone. I think Halloween is Halloween and this kid did nothing wrong. Neither did she.

Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn that 1st Amendment!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
not really.
IBTP
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#3]
doesnt bother me. The world needs to toughen up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Americans weren't the only people to fight the NVA.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
He looks like a soldier turned zombie. I am fine with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know her politics - so I don't know.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#7]
He's a zombie.

So what?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Im a soldier and I dont mind. Its actually a pretty good costume.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
People need to get the fuck over it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://i33.tinypic.com/do8mlw.jpg

Angelina Jolie, who has spent a ton of time with our troops, allowed her adopted son Maddox to dress as a wounded soldier for Halloween. She has stated in past interviews that he plays with his Army toys on a daily basis and has said that he will be a soldier when he grows up. She has taken him on tours of Navy ships and to meet and thank troops before. He appeared to be 'in awe', according to witnesses.

Her other children were dressed as Supergirl (Zahara), a pilot (Shiloh), and a warrior (Pax). Some people feel that seeing a child with Asian features dressed as a dead or wounded American soldier is spitting on the graves of Vietnam Veterans. Liberals have stated that this costume was insensitive during wartime, inappropriate for Maddox's age, and mocking of our service men and women who are currently wounded.

As for me personally ... I think it's a great reminder that there ARE wounded and dying troops. I wasn't physically able to hand out candy this year, but I've been seeing little kids dressed as soldiers with blood all over them all over my friend's Facebook pages. *I* dressed as a soldier one year and then let my cousin borrow my ROTC uniform for her own Halloween party a few years ago.

Given that Angelina Jolie has consistently supported our troops and actually gone to Iraq to spend time with them ... I don't think she would intentionally set out to mock or belittle anyone. I think Halloween is Halloween and this kid did nothing wrong. Neither did she.

Poll inbound.
And they call us racist?

There is nothing offensive in that picture.  Heart warming, yes.  Offensive, no.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:14:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
doesnt bother me. The world needs to toughen up.

+1, they need to Harden the Fuck Up!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
you can just hit vote to see results......................................
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Zombie soldier?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Holy Shit!!!  Hamchunk!!!

"Was my Peter-san brarve????"
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm fine with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

People need to get the fuck over it.

This.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#17]
zombie VC
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Holy Shit!!!  Hamchunk!!!

"Was my Peter-san brave????"

Lol. You too?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Needs a lot less spray paint. I am not sure on the motive there...

Rob
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I dunno.

I would have to fish all the Milk Duds out of his bag of candy in order to form an opinion one way or the other.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks like the kid couldn't decide between zombie and soldier.  It doesn't look like he was going for "wounded soldier" at all.

On Halloween, I saw little zombie brides, zombie cheerleaders and even a zombie Captain America (though I think that was actually a story arc in the comics).  I asked him where his shield was and he turns around and yells, "MOOOOOM!  Am I supposed to have a shield?!"  

Halloween = dress up as whatever you want and then put fake blood on your face.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell, he looks like a zombie to me.  Let him be whatever he wants, from the sounds of it he likes/wants to be a soldier.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Who gives a rat's ass ?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I feel a bit hypocritical because I was one of the first to cry foul over Billy Ray Cyrus's youngest daughter flaunting her wares in her Halloween costume (she's nine and looked like a hooker).

But a wounded soldier is a far cry from this:

I've yet to hear any of the liberals get up in arms over THAT. I'm offended by THAT. I admit it. With all the little missing girls lately ... that's not a great image to put out there for the pedophiles.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]

I thought it was a Zombie soldier at first.

In any case it's a Halloween costume not a political statement and the kid probably likes camo.

You'd think Brangelina would have access to better cosumery, though . . .

-p.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I could care less, the butt hurt card as I propose we start calling it (like the race card) is played far too much anymore...  If you go to work and your boss tells you that you can't display an American flag in your office because it offends some foreigner, then yes that's something to raise some hell about...  You play the butt hurt card on this and the other side will play the race card...  Talk about looking for something to bitch about...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Offended, no. But it does make a person think. If Hanoi Jane dressed her kid like that, would we be offended?

Someone mentioned not knowing Jolie's politics...I think depending upon her politics, you'd get a different response, from both sides.

All that said, my youngest went out as a soldier: camo'd his face AND he had headgear.

No blood, no nothing. Just a soldier.

I'm sure he pissed some local lib off just by being one, too.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
As a mom, I'd probably frown upon the "wounded" aspect and just limit it to the "soldier" part for my own boys.  I'm not offended, but I don't want to make light of those who are wounded/killed in service to this country.  A Halloween costume of this nature cheapens it, minimizes it IMO.  Lacks the reverence/respect for the seriousness of the situation.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Holy Shit!!! Hamchunk!!!

"Was my Peter-san brarve????"

I love that movie!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a Halloween costume.  No biggie, IMO
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some people feel that seeing a child with Asian features dressed as a dead or wounded American soldier is spitting on the graves of Vietnam Veterans..

Like there are no "Asians" serving in our military?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some people feel that seeing a child with Asian features dressed as a dead or wounded American soldier is spitting on the graves of Vietnam Veterans.

Right, because no Asian Americans have ever fought for their country.....

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#33]
im not offended
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Zombie soldier= sweet costume.

I'm surprised she hasn't caught a shitstorm for allowing her kids to play with militaristic toys and therefore hasn't yet heard the calls to send him for re-educounselling because he wants to join the Army.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#35]
where's his rifle? no weapon your going to increase your chances of getting wounded.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some people feel that seeing a child with Asian features dressed as a dead or wounded American soldier is spitting on the graves of Vietnam Veterans.

That's exactly what I said when I first heard about it on the AM radio show en route to my doctor this morning. I HATE morning talk/radio shows, but my XM expired. Bah. Anyway, they're all liberals and they were going off about the Vietnam aspect of it. I tried of call in to point out that we did and currently DO have people of many cultures/races serving in our military, but I couldn't get through. All the callers were agreeing. And I live in a red state. :(

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Considering the context I have no issues with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks more like a zombie soldier with a nose bleed than a wounded soldier to be honest.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the 442nd Regiment was just a figment of somebody's imagination.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Plenty of Asians died fighting for our side in Vietnam. In our armed services, plus the ROKs, ARVNs, and all the tribes who fought and died alongside US servicemen....How is this disrespectful to Vietnam veterans?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#41]
http://www.celebitchy.com/72976/goth_angelina_jolie_takes_maddox_toy_gun_shopping_in_france/

http://x17online.com/celebrities/angelina_jolie/angelina_buys_shiny_toy_guns_for_maddox-09292009.php

He had his gun. Don't worry. He had that little pistol and a scary black rifle, but I can't find pics of him carrying the rifle. Only one of Brad Pitt with it slung over his shoulder while the kids were Trick or Treating.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Does it offend me? No.

However, perhaps still in poor taste.

Soldier, fine.
Wounded soldier while we are a nation at war, poor taste.

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Double Tap.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like the kid has some decent values. Nothing wrong with wanting to be badass soldier for Halloween. I'll give Angelina credit, she's actually stepped up to the plate when it comes to all the global activism and do-goodery, I can respect that. I haven't yet heard her say anything distasteful and anti-American.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

He looks like a soldier turned zombie. I am fine with it.
t what I was thinking
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#46]
he's fine. people need  to make make it their job to be offended by every little thing
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#47]
looks ok to me
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#48]

Fuck do people like to make something out of everything. Loosen the cheeks ya anal retentive shitbags.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't think that was done with any ill intent. My son is 9, as patriotic as anyone, and he likes to put bandages on when he plays soldier. No big deal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Can't cry about the country getting "Too PC" and then get butthurt about trivial shit like this
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top