Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:46 AM EDT
There was a small flock of chickens out in the middle of the road the other day that I almost ran over.

To my knowledge there are no farms around there, but they could have gotten away and been wondering around for a while.

Anyway, it got me thinking. Is there a breeding population of wild chickens around like there are turkeys?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd think predators like Hawks, Yotes, and feral cats would diminish their population pretty quick in the wild...

Don't think I've ever seen wild chickens.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:47:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you ever been to Kauai?  There are wild chickens everywhere!

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2008/07/07/why-does-kauai-have-so-many-wild-chickens/
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Have you ever been to Kauai?  There are wild chickens everywhere!

http://www.govisithawaii.com/2008/07/07/why-does-kauai-have-so-many-wild-chickens/

No I have not.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
They are EVERYWHERE in Kauaii HI.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If its anywhere near a processing house or an egg farm, you will have escapees. They aren't actually wild in the true sense of the word, just free. Fun to hunt though!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably escapees from somebodies backyard flock. I see them every once and a while around here. Have helped one of my neighbors round his up out of my yard a couple of times.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#7]
there is a flock of wild chickens living under the expressway in Los Angeles that have been there for ever...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:53:08 AM EDT
[#8]
My brother's neighbor has a shitload of Guinea Hens that he lets roam around. Not sure that I'd call them chickens but they are similar I guess. (chickenoids??)
Supposedly they eat ticks and whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#9]
They are allover the Florida Keys. We found one on top of our rental car in the airport parking lot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#10]
The real question here is… why did they cross the road?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:11:58 AM EDT
[#11]
What kind of chickens were they?

What did they look like?

Some go feral with some degree of success, others don't.

Guinea hens are a whole differerent kind of fowl, and they do roam around.  The neighbor down the road has some, and we routinely see them out foraging for insects.

Guinea hens are kind of plump bodied, but have a streamlined sort of head and overall teardrop shape to them, kind of like a huge quail.  They are black and white speckled.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#12]
damn. i though this was going to be a thread about Wildflecken (aka Wild Chicken)..
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Probably urban dwellers that realized TEOTWAWKI wasnt right around the corner and raising chickens is a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What kind of chickens were they?

What did they look like?

Some go feral with some degree of success, others don't.

Guinea hens are a whole differerent kind of fowl, and they do roam around.  The neighbor down the road has some, and we routinely see them out foraging for insects.

Guinea hens are kind of plump bodied, but have a streamlined sort of head and overall teardrop shape to them, kind of like a huge quail.  They are black and white speckled.

Didn't get a great look at them since they ran off pretty quick.

They looked kind of like this though. Definitely not Guinea hens.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The real question here is… why did they cross the road?

To get out of the way of my car.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in Maui County, Hawaii, and we have quite a few feral damn chickens running around.

I'm ready to get a air rifle and start harvesting the good free range centipede fed pullets!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I live in Maui County, Hawaii, and we have quite a few feral damn chickens running around.

I'm ready to get a air rifle and start harvesting the good free range centipede fed pullets!

Sounds like a good plan to me, be sure to post a dinner pic!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw them on 102 down in Exeter a couple of days ago.

They probably ran off from somebody's house around there.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#20]
That is a red star. It is a female. I raise Red Star for eggs and meat. Males are White with some brown spots. Have 14 hens and 5 roasters.  Gettin 12 to 14 eggs per day. Round um up and keepum.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I saw a wild rooster in Iowa once.  He escaped from the poultry swap at the fairgrounds and took up residence at the neighboring golf course!

The cool thing was he hung out with a bunch of bad-assed looking alley cats and they all seemed to get along great!

Some breeds of chickens are very cold hearty and good at fending for themselves.  Others are completely clueless.  RI reds would probably do well on their own, at least until the snow flies, when finding food could kill them.  Even then they could survive nicely with access to human garbage, etc...  You might also see them take up residence near other types of livestock operations under such conditions.  A feedlot or dairy farm would be a great food source for them to scrounge from, and they could even breed with fair success given the proper conditions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top