Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:40:55 AM EDT
Unfortunately, not too many around here.  I would love to explore some like these.

There was an old house in the middle of the woods that my friends and I would explore when we were about 11 or so, lot's of fun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#1]
yes I like checking them out.  We still do it with permission on most places.  Sometimes it is not needed b/c we know certain people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I spend much of my work day in abandoned, crappy, delapidated buildings.

I see no fun in them. Sorry
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I spend much of my work day in abandoned, crappy, delapidated buildings.

I see no fun in them. Sorry

Yeah, I can imagine having to work in them must suck, but just exploring an old hotel or hospital would be fun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I love them. The creepier the better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.

Unfortunately most where I'm around now probably aren't safe to explore.  Rampant with two-legged vermin.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Always wanted to check some out. Thing is, they're all in the city. Not the best place to go poking around abandoned buildings.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as i don't hear banjo music or smell iodine...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Hotels and hospitals are the WORST!
We did an ENORMOUS mental hospital last year. Inspected it before we demolished it. Very freaky.
I'm over the freaky aspect of things (morgues are still tough though)
I'm mostly worried about mongo (scrap metal) thieves lurking around. Aside from some floors and roofs caving in (sending me into the basement or lower floors) it's a pretty non eventful job.
Been in some pretty cool places though. Nuke plants, Plum Island animal disease center, Armories, lighthouses, manufacturing plants, span bridges (yes..at the top) to name a few
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
ME!!! I love exploring them. There is a website dedicated to abandoned RI buildings (Most public––not homes)

http://www.artinruins.com/

There's also sites dedicated to old amusement parks (Google Rocky point, Hunt's Pier) and old drive in and walk in theatres.

Yeah...I'm kinda geeky.

ETA: There was a thread here with Pripyat photos a few months back...VERY cool.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ME!!! I love exploring them. There is a website dedicated to abandoned RI buildings (Most public––not homes)

There's also sites dedicated to old amusement parks (Google Rocky point, Hunt's Pier) and old drive in and walk in theatres.

Yeah...I'm kinda geeky.

Thanks for the link, I will check that out!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Plenty of abandoned factories in the Cleveland/Akron area.  You just have to watch out for the crazy bums who live in them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah...I'm kinda geeky.

Thanks for the link, I will check that out!  

Rob, do this one http://www.artinruins.com/arch/?id=rip: Specifically for Abandoned Properties...Sockanossett was the state boys' "training School." As a kid, if your parents threatened to send you there, You STOPPED misbehaving!

Bad Boy School link http://www.artinruins.com/arch/?id=redevelop&pr=sockanosset

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I love old abandoned factories/buildings, but abadoned homes have always made me a little sad.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Plenty of abandoned factories in the Cleveland/Akron area.  You just have to watch out for the crazy bums who live in them.

That is why I wouldn't do it alone, and I would have my CCW with me.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
You should see the website for the woman who rides her motorcycle through the old Cheyrnoble ruins.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is why I wouldn't do it alone, and I would have my CCW with me.  

Same with the banjo music and iodine odor...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Used to snoop around in here all the time around 1980 ,  a few other places as well around NC.
Alot of fun....

Asheville VA
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#18]
This place has some cool photos http://www.urbanatrophy.com/
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Used to snoop around in here all the time around 1980 ,  a few other places as well around NC.

Alot of fun....

Asheville VA

Interesting, I lived in Asheville from 3rd to 7th grade, went to Valley Springs Elementary.

That was an ancient school, I heard it has been torn down.

That would have been a cool old abandoned place to explore, I would remember where everything was.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh yes, I love them.  This is one of my favorite sites dedicated to abandoned buildings.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#21]
I love urbex, used to do a lot of it when I lived on Long Island. When I was a kid there was a lot of dormant manufacturing infrastructure left from the turn of the century thru WWII.

We used to explore drains as well.

Can't do it where I live now, pretty much everything is new and sterile. Plus with as liability and security conscious as everyone is these days, I don't want to risk a felony rap sheet for poking around in an old building.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag for later.  Cool thread, thanks.  Architrcts did this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hotels and hospitals are the WORST!

We did an ENORMOUS mental hospital last year. Inspected it before we demolished it. Very freaky.

I'm over the freaky aspect of things (morgues are still tough though)

I'm mostly worried about mongo (scrap metal) thieves lurking around. Aside from some floors and roofs caving in (sending me into the basement or lower floors) it's a pretty non eventful job.

Been in some pretty cool places though. Nuke plants, Plum Island animal disease center, Armories, lighthouses, manufacturing plants, span bridges (yes..at the top) to name a few

What was the deal with that place. Growing up on Long Island there was always tons of rumors floating around about the true nature of that little island..

Got any pics?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#24]
While I enjoy works of fiction based on the premise of old buildings,abandoned wrecks and the like I do not hanker to go blundering about in them seeking wild animals,rusty nails and rotten flooring to fall through...not my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

While I enjoy works of fiction based on the premise of old buildings,abandoned wrecks and the like I do not hanker to go blundering about in them seeking wild animals,rusty nails and rotten flooring to fall through...not my cup of tea.

C'mon. Where's your sense of adventure? It's FUN.

And creepy...which is part of the fun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Me as well.  There's a couple groups in the KC area that go around.  When I worked in land survey, I found all kinds of old houses and barns and such out in the countryside.  Way back in high school, there was an old mental hospital that was a common place to hang out, talk about creepy!  Old churches, office buildings.  Some of the creepiest though are the houses that look like the family just up and disappeared: clothes in closets, dishes in the shelves, kids toys lying around, very creepy.

And yeah, you always have to be on your toes on the look out for: animal vermin, people vermin, structural issues, nails sticking up out of the floor, etc etc.  

Do some searching on your local internet forums, you'll be surprised how many people are into it.  Search for Urban Exploration, hit your photography clubs, etc.  You'll find people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C'mon. Where's your sense of adventure? It's FUN.

And creepy...which is part of the fun.

Yeah, if you aren't freaked out at least once in there, then what fun is that?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Great site here Site
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I get a kick out of other people risking possible arrest, or falling into the cellar of an abandoned building so that their corpse can be found next to a digital camera with awesome pictures on it.

There is a whole abandoned town somewhere in NC or SC. Read about it in a guide book. an old mining town that is abandoned. However you either need to rent a boat or spend a few days hiking to it. Someone here said they weren't sure if it was still around, I forgot why, flooded or buildings were knocked over.

I also hear Centralia, PA is nice this time of year

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I get a kick out of other people risking possible arrest, or falling into the cellar of an abandoned building so that their corpse can be found next to a digital camera with awesome pictures on it.

There is a whole abandoned town somewhere in NC or SC. Read about it in a guide book. an old mining town that is abandoned. However you either need to rent a boat or spend a few days hiking to it. Someone here said they weren't sure if it was still around, I forgot why, flooded or buildings were knocked over.

You're such a damn killjoy sometimes.

Sometimes tours are available, smarty pants.

<<sigh>>

Life's dangerous. Get a helmet.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hellz yeah!

Fascination with local history + industry + architecture/design = MUST ENTER!

What is the deal with the lights on in that third pic?  

I placed a bunch of tea candles down there to light the area up. That's two stories underground and it's pitch black down there. I bag of 50 of them was all of $3 at Wal-Mart. The "effect" would be pretty damn cool if I was a decent photographer!

Next time I'm going to use a propane lantern and a relflector behind the camera!
I think it is a cool pic!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been on a mission for a while now; seeking out abandoned/run down property for *ehem* airsoft.

Flame all you want, I'm not going to debate the merits of airsoft in this thread.. just saying that nothing beats playing in an abandoned factory like the one we used to do. There was an old hospital around here too converted for a big game - Five story, no electricity.. talk about a rush kicking in doors with nothing but your tac-light to see and shoot the enemy

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#40]
These guys have some guts to do this in Detroit.

I can just imagine the two legged vermin that wonder around this place.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#42]
There was a furniture factory across the creek from my house that my grandfather worked in many decades ago. It has since been destroyed and all that's left on the surface is some grass covered concrete floors, but there's spot with stairs that go into what we assumed was the basement, but past the stairs was collapsed and you couldn't go any further.

I can't help but wonder what's behind that collapsed portion, as I know the rest of it is still intact.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

These guys have some guts to do this in Detroit.

I can just imagine the two legged vermin that wonder around this place.

An ABANDONED DPSS in Detroit? I would think that would be the one most populated bldg. on the planet!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#47]
yep, I love em!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm a sucker for old buildings and ghost towns. I wish I lived closer to the rust belt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I used to know some guys who partied and explored an abandoned nuthouse in Milwaukee.  Big Gothic looking thing with padded cells, locked rooms, hydrotherapy crap etc.. .

Mondo creepy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#50]
When I was a kid, I used to explore an old Veteran's hospital near my house in Jackson. I went alone a couple times but usually it was with a friend. We'd be "armed" with at least a slingshot, but usually a BB or pellet rifle (and always a knife). The place covered probably 30 acres or so in size. Most of it was single-story buildings with one long hallway and rooms on either side, but there were a couple buildings that were larger - the morgue, and the heating plant among them. Those were the most fun to explore. The morgue was spooky enough, but I think the heating plant was even spookier. It had a few large furnaces with heating ducts and catwalks high overhead. I went into one of the furnaces and felt very vulnerable knowing that if someone shut the hatch from the outside, I couldn't open it from inside and noone would ever find me there in a hundred years. (didn't stay long) A couple times we were scared by an unexpected person,usually a bum but sometimes it was a watchman or something wanting us to get outa there. I must have been about 11 yrs old at the time. The place was demolished soon after that and made into softball fields.

To me, old factories are the ultimate in spook-ness. Like that factory in "Hostel"...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top