Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 7:58:41 AM EDT
This modern-day behemoth is 111 feet longer than her battleship namesake. She will carry sea-based platforms, including:

• The V-22 tilt-rotor Osprey aircraft

• Three types of helicopters

• 14 expeditionary fighting vehicles (EFVs) and/or several air-cushioned landing craft (LCACs) for across-the-beach deployments of U.S. Marine Corps and Special Forces personnel.

Goto the official ship website for more details of the mouseovers... here.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Capacity for 14 EFV, two LCACs, and 600+ Marines.  That is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a thread earlier today, when the FOX News live stream broadcast the ship saluting at the WTC location - someone mentioned the capabilities of the ship were pretty awesome.

Then I check out the ships website just now - I didn't realize that bottom deck had all that STUFF!!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Capacity for 14 EFV, two LCACs, and 600+ Marines. That is awesome.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
My little brother landing his CH53E on USS NY a few weeks ago.  He got promoted to Captain this morning.

He had to get out and pee so he got a deck shot of his bird.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Can she take Harriers? (or perhaps the F-35 in the future?)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can she take Harriers? (or perhaps the F-35 in the future?)

A Harrier COULD land on there, but not be supported.

Harriers go on the Flat tops because they still have to do rolling take offs when fully loaded.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My little brother landing his CH53E on USS NY a few weeks ago.  He got promoted to Captain this morning.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<snip pics>

Awesome post.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone else getting a "Pillar of Autumn" vibe from that pic?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip pics>

Awesome post.

Yes, it's amazing how far the ARFCOM wings stretch - it's like Fight Club, but better and no injuries (well most of the time).

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#11]
OST
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah...Our current C in C is considering a tour of the Middle East for the vessel....with "We're Sorry" written on the outside....stopping at all ports, and hosting Apology Parties on board for all the ROP'rs that want to check it out...

AFARR
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Fuggin A, awesome post

Wow, that is awesome that it can carry that much stuff!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
She looks fast.  What is the top speed?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#15]
14 EFVs is only good if the EFV actually gets funded/built (Not a given right now)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#16]
What is the tower in the middle of the ship for, if it is not classified?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#17]
The LPD-17 class give each ARG a great resource, it almost has as much hold capacity as the big deck in the three ship ARG.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The LPD-17 class give each ARG a great resource, it almost has as much hold capacity as the big deck in the three ship ARG.

I was wondering why this thing cost so damn much.  That explains it.  Not sure I agree with one big versus 3 smaller ones.  All your eggs in one billion dollar basket.  Are these things replacing the LPH class?  Or the LST, LPD, etc. battlegroups?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#19]
that is nice .

I could see that rolling up on any country in the world , like a pizza delivery van and shouting , ok who ordered a war .

john
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like fun to me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anyone else getting a "Pillar of Autumn" vibe from that pic?

I'm glad I'm not the only one

I never knew we operated boats like this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#22]
NY    FTMFW  (....for once...and probably the last)

i think the best part is she was built with some of the WTC steel
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
that is nice .

I could see that rolling up on any country in the world , like a pizza delivery van and shouting , ok who ordered a war .
john

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Your brother is our brother. Thank God for his service. Awesome pictures, I hope we build a hundred of those ships.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
that is nice .

john

I lol'ed.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Congrats to him!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#27]
When was the last time we used the Gator Navy to actually invade something?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#28]
The diagram makes it look like the entire ship is cargo/holds and the top/island is where everyone lives.
If thats the case, how do they fit the 360+ sailors and then 600+ marines on board?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They have antennas in the two masts. They are covered by material to present a low radar cross section.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The diagram makes it look like the entire ship is cargo/holds and the top/island is where everyone lives.
If thats the case, how do they fit the 360+ sailors and then 600+ marines on board?

The vehicle storage areas are on the ship's centerline, but on their sides and forward there is space for ship's force and Marines.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Operation Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom are just two that come to mind...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Let's hope that the USS New York brings osama bin laden back here as a doomed P.O.W. - it would be appropriate.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering why this thing cost so damn much.  That explains it.  Not sure I agree with one big versus 3 smaller ones.  All your eggs in one billion dollar basket.  Are these things replacing the LPH class?  Or the LST, LPD, etc. battlegroups?

They are replacing all the LPDs. I haven't seen ARGs with LPHs, most go out with a LPD, LSD and a LHA or LHD, so they have been taken out of service years ago along with the LSTs.

The big cost was all the redesigns, and repair while in production. LPD-17, took forever to get to sea and when it did, it had to go back into dry dock for substandard  construction.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Operation Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom are just two that come to mind...

How much equipment for those operations came from an LPD/LST versus MPS or regular AKR?  Not much.  These vessels are meant for over the horizon, hostile beach/LZ, kick-in-the-door toe holds and yet have not performed such a role since like Inchon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Thats a lot of whoop-ass on one boat
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Thats a lot of whoop-ass on one boat

That sums it up pretty well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Er...the Gator Freighters are used all the time...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much equipment for those operations came from an LPD/LST versus MPS or regular AKR?  Not much.  These vessels are meant for over the horizon, hostile beach/LZ, kick-in-the-door toe holds and yet have not performed such a role since like Inchon.

There were several battalion sized landings during Vietnam, Grenada was saw a MAU using the ARG as a sea based platform for an air assault., There have been several smalls amphibious operations in recent years and a large Amphibious demonstration in ODS, they for most part in support of contingency operations, like NEOs and HA/DR.

The L platforms are meant as you said to provide transport and basing for amphibious forces and to provide that force in readiness that can be placed off any nations' show.

OEF saw the 2 MEUs come together to form TF 58 and than project much of their combat power ashore.  OIF 1 saw ATF-W and ATF-E deliver 2 RCTs worth of Marines to Kuwait, than the L Platforms become jeep carriers.  The AV-8 running off the ATFs LHDs and As, provided more CAS than any other force for quite a while during OIF I.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's a mast with radars and comms gear inside for better RCS and protection from the weather.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who said one big vs three smaller? R0N didn't. They are replacing the LPD-4 class ships. ARGs will still be three ships. One LHA/LHD, one LSD and one LPD, in this case LPD-17.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither time did we actually land troops from the sea. In OEF we did "land" Marines into Afghanistan from amphibious ships off the coast of Pakistan. We also put troops on the beach in Somalia and Grenada from amphibious ships. Amphibs also participated in operations during the tanker wars. They also landed troops ashore in Vietnam, when the Vietnamese ports couldn't handle the traffic.

Finally, we use these ships all across the world for many different missions. Their large size, long endurance, and open spaces allow them to be reconfigured for all sorts of non-combatant missions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were several battalion sized landings during Vietnam, Grenada was saw a MAU using the ARG as a sea based platform for an air assault., There have been several smalls amphibious operations in recent years and a large Amphibious demonstration in ODS, they for most part in support of contingency operations, like NEOs and HA/DR.

The L platforms are meant as you said to provide transport and basing for amphibious forces and to provide that force in readiness that can be placed off any nations' show.

OEF saw the 2 MEUs come together to form TF 58 and than project much of their combat power ashore.  OIF 1 saw ATF-W and ATF-E deliver 2 RCTs worth of Marines to Kuwait, than the L Platforms become jeep carriers.  The AV-8 running off the ATFs LHDs and As, provided more CAS than any other force for quite a while during OIF I.

Plus, word is the Marines want to get more into the raids and invasion business and leave the heavy stuff for the Army.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wonder is there any concern for them getting Torpedo'd if they have to slow down at all to allow some of the V-22's to land, or can they land in forward motion with great stability?

I just keep thinking about all the 'wrinkles' they had to iron out of the V-22 over the years, it makes me wonder if they'll have to slow the ship down at all during landings?

Otherwise it looks like a kickass boat, and I hope it has plenty of defensive weapons as well - I'm not too well informed on its defensive armaments.

BCW, thanks for posting the awesome pics, and tell your brother Thanks for Serving us!

You want winds over the deck, like a carrier, so you don't slow down to a stop. And the LPD-17 class can carry the SLQ-25 "Nixie" torpedo decoy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw a show on The Military Channel about LPD17 this very am.

Built in Mississippi.

Cool ships.
link to show schedule  on LPD17

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus, word is the Marines want to get more into the raids and invasion business and leave the heavy stuff for the Army.

Well yes and no, the primary amphibious task force we use today is the MEU and the MEU although it punches well above its weight is still based on a Battalion Landing Teams, and beyond raids they cannot do a whole lot.  Amphibious assault actually had to be added to the mission sets of the MEUs a few years back because its entire pre-deployment program was built around raids.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#48]
What I know?

Besides the Chief's Mess and good libbo ports, being on ship sucks.

<––––- Amphib Cargo

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#49]
The Military channel had a show on the The USS New Orleans today which is a sister ship of the USS New York. They showed it on it's shakedown cruise and one of its sister ships being built. They are built from cubes and it takes like 210 of them to build the ship. The ship yard is 2 years behind schedule. Each one replaces 3 other ships and they plan on building 9 of them. Amazing ships.

Build It Bigger - Navy Amphibious Warship.

The LPD17 is a new class of amphibious assault ship for the US Navy that can launch over 700 Marines and equipment on helicopters and hovercrafts. Join host Danny Forster as we explore the innovative 700-foot long and 25,000-ton stealth vessel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What I know?

Besides the Chief's Mess and good libbo ports, being on ship sucks.

<––––- Amphib Cargo

I hate the blue-green hours in the Gym, go during green and you have to wait to use any machines go during the blue and you can knock out PT in no time not having to wait.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top