Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 7:05:35 AM EDT
Has anyone tried on of these yet?

Is it accurate?

What is the muzzle velocity?

How could this still be legal in town since you are still discharging a primer?

223/22 pellet conversion

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting never even seen that before. Pellets are alot smaller than the bore so not sure how it picks up rifleing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Pellets generally have skirts.  I'd expect they should expand to engange the rifling.

Quoted:

interesting never even seen that before. Pellets are alot smaller than the bore so not sure how it picks up rifleing.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Price primers AND pellets before buying.  Must be single shot.  You can make your own conversion with a drill and a spent case.  Why buy?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I would ask the guys in the reloading forum. They might have better answers...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=42
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Pellets generally have skirts.  I'd expect they should expand to engange the rifling.

Quoted:

Pellets are slightly smaller, just like .22 RF.  Most RF are 0.2225" as are pellet rifles.  

Pick a pellet based on head diameter like Beeman FTS which has a 0.219" head.

http://www.straightshooters.com/documents/pelletcomparison.html#22

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Are 209 shotshell primers common? What are a good price on these? I might just turn down some brass stock for fun and giggles and drill out for pellet and primer...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:09 AM EDT
[#8]
double post.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I've seen those before for 1911s as well, they're supposedly a cheap alternative to shooting pellets with the ghey of airsoft. Good luck finding cheap primers though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know the point of that.    For the cost of a few months' primers and quality pellets you could have a real break barrel pellet rifle that is meant to drive the projectile in question.

Plus, your linke uses shotgun primers and that thing isn't going to be quiet.

Also:  I would expect that the skirt of the pelet gets deformed passing over the gas port.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Are 209 shotshell primers common? What are a good price on these? I might just turn down some brass stock for fun and giggles and drill out for pellet and primer...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00129209A

FYI... There is a $22 Hazmat fee when you order primers/powder.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't know the point of that.    For the cost of a few months' primers and quality pellets you could have a real break barrel pellet rifle that is meant to drive the projectile in question.

Also:  I would expect that the skirt of the pelet gets deformed passing over the gas port.

Certainly, and the air rifle will be more accurate.

The pellet quiets the primer but it is still louder than a springer.

Pellets don't get deformed over the gas port, pressure there has dropped to where there is very little deformation.  I have done this, using an old case drilled out.  Want to bet that is what this thing is?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Shotshell primers are readily available in my town.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Check this out. Beeman Crow Magnums

200 pellets for 8.50

Pellet .22                    Adv. Wt     Head Dia     Skirt Dia       Length     Head Type         Qty/Tin
Beeman Crow Magnum 18.20          0.217           0.228         0.305       HollowPoint         200
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pellets don't get deformed over the gas port, pressure there has dropped to where there is very little deformation.  I have done this, using an old case drilled out.  Want to bet that is what this thing is?

Probably.

You ever get a temptation with yours to throw a little bullseye in the case there with that pellet and see what happens?    

I'd probably fuck with it to the point that it would just be shooting a couple liquefied molten drops of lead out of a giant fireball before I was done.

(Don't get me started about high school where my buddy the chemistry geek would show up with a Kodak film canister full of fun stuff to stick in Pellet hollow point cavities!).

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#16]
31 bucks for a 1000 primers plus 43 bucks for a 1000 rounds of crow magnum puts it at 7.5 cents per discharge.. Not a cost alternative for shooting 22lr but an interesting way to sling some lead in the back yard in town...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like the equivalent to my glue bullets.

Drill out flash hole in case. Insert fresh primer. Seat rubber bullet. Fire. Retrieve glue bullet for reuse.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Works in all calibers.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Ceiner kits are about $159 at midway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably.

You ever get a temptation with yours to throw a little bullseye in the case there with that pellet and see what happens?    

I'd probably fuck with it to the point that it would just be shooting a couple liquefied molten drops of lead out of a giant fireball before I was done.

(Don't get me started about high school where my buddy the chemistry geek would show up with a Kodak film canister full of fun stuff to stick in Pellet hollow point cavities!).

Yes, I have slung them out at over 1400 FPS and filled the waist of the pellet with cast bullet lube.  Craptastic accuracy.  Does not take but 3 grains of Bullseye.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#20]
is craptastic on the target? lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was a dumbass private in the Army we'd superglue BBs to blanks.  Not particularly accurate but fun anyway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Why can't you do this with a regular case and a regular primer?  Shotgun primers are LOUD.

Reminds me of the time way back when I fiddled around with buckshot pellets and a 30-06 case.

In any case, accuracy is going to suck and depending on the rifle and sturdiness of the pellet, may shed the pellet skirt in the bore.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#23]
This is a really neat idea. I’m gonna try it with regular CCI small rifle magnum primers and I’ll drill out the flash hole a bit. I wonder if it would be stable enough to use my Outback II on it without risking baffle strikes. I want to hear more about this.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I would love to hear a range report on your findings....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top