Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 7:03:37 AM EDT
For some reason I keep pretending that I live in a nice neighborhood (small town, Indiana)...

So my neighbor is a man in his 50's who weighs about 350lbs and is on disability for a back injury.  This does not prevent him from working maintenance and grounds keeping at the local go-kart track off the books, mind you.  His fiance is a full time nurse, his daughter is recently unemployed, she and her somewhat "slow" son, about 9 years old, live with him.  Neighbor recently couldn't make his house payments, but, according to him, he worked it with HUD to declare his home section 8 housing and continues living there largely on the government dime.  Yipee.  Other than the disability scam and general fucked up'edness he's a fairly nice guy and keeps an eye on my place when I'm away, so I try to stay reasonably friendly.

Yesterday I was working in the backyard when he came up to the fence to chat.  After this, that, and the other he gets around to telling me that they ran completely out of food and went hungry for most of last week.  I was shocked and asked what the hell happened.  He said that there were some unexpected bills and it took a month or so for the daughter to start getting food stamps, which they had just received and used to restock the pantry.  Unfortunately they had to report that she was living at home, and apparently this screwed up some kind of gov't cheese scam the daughter was running, I didn't push for details.  I asked if he was familiar with the church food bank in town, he said "Oh yeah, [grandson] just loves it when Wednesday comes around, he begs us for permission to go to church and pick up some food".    

Now, I'm a prepper, and I have a shed full of long term storage food, so I feel a pang of guilt and consider volunteering to help out.  But then I realize that we're standing next to the very nice trailer he uses to take his go-kart to the track (a local kid drives it).  And his two golf carts.  And his two ATV's and a three wheeler.  And his four cars.  (All of these vehicles work, for a wonder)  And the pang eases.   And then the pang died completely when he said "Hey, you know guns, let me show you the Beretta I just bought".  He brings out a used 92FS in good shape that he paid $350 for, bought it last week.  The "starving" week.    I showed him how to strip it, congratulated him on his purchase, and ducked out of the conversation as quickly as possible to go ponder the sheer WTF and once again consider moving far, far away...

[P.S., yes, I do know what I'll have to do first if SHTF, it'll be sad]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I bet he voted for Obama.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Time to move...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe he won some money from his weekly dose of scratch-off lottery tickets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Effing sweet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If he tips the scales at 350, a week without food would be of benefit to him.
Probably tough on the rest of the family though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You're going to eat your fat neighbor?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure that family is full of epic stories like this you should start a news letter
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Food stamps + new gun = dinner pics?

Konger
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Sad commentary on humanity
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Food stamps + new gun = dinner pics?

Konger

Dude, that`s just wrong!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:33:12 AM EDT
[#12]
What kart track?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For some reason I keep pretending that I live in a nice neighborhood (small town, Indiana)...

So my neighbor is man in his 50's who weighs about 350lbs and is on disability for a back injury.  This does not prevent him from working maintenance and grounds keeping at the local go-kart track off the books, mind you.  His fiance is a full time nurse, his daughter is recently unemployed, she and her somewhat "slow" son, about 9 years old, live with him.  Neighbor recently couldn't make his house payments, but, according to him, he worked it with HUD to declare his home section 8 housing and continues living there largely on the government dime.  Yipee.  Other than the disability scam and general fucked up'edness he's a fairly nice guy and keeps an eye on my place when I'm away, so I try to stay reasonably friendly.

Yesterday I was working in the backyard when he came up to the fence to chat.  After this, that, and the other he gets around to telling me that they ran completely out of food and went hungry for most of last week.  I was shocked and asked what the hell happened.  He said that there were some unexpected bills and it took a month or so for the daughter to start getting food stamps, which they had just received and used to restock the pantry.  Unfortunately they had to report that she was living at home, and apparently this screwed up some kind of gov't cheese scam the daughter was running, I didn't push for details.  I asked if he was familiar with the church food bank in town, he said "Oh yeah, [grandson] just loves it when Wednesday comes around, he begs us for permission to go to church and pick up some food".    

Now, I'm a prepper, and I have a shed full of long term storage food, so I feel a pang of guilt and consider volunteering to help out.  But then I realize that we're standing next to the very nice trailer he uses to take his go-kart to the track (a local kid drives it).  And his two golf carts.  And his two ATV's and a three wheeler.  And his four cars.  (All of these vehicles work, for a wonder)  And the pang eases.   And then the pang died completely when he said "Hey, you know guns, let me show you the Beretta I just bought".  He brings out a used 92FS in good shape that he paid $350 for, bought it last week.  The "starving" week.    I showed him how to strip it, congratulated him on his purchase, and ducked out of the conversation as quickly as possible to go ponder the sheer WTF and once again consider moving far, far away...

he's a leech. and worse he's a leech with a gun. guess what he's gonna do by the end of the 1st week of SHTF and he has no food?

1. he's gonna see you and your family chowing down.

2. he's gonna ask for some food.

3. when you tell him no or only give him a small amount he'll demand more

4. and he'll demand more with that pistol in hand.

my advise. sabotage him. give him some ammo with no powder in it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If he tips the scales at 350, a week without food would be of benefit to him.
Probably tough on the rest of the family though.

My first thought.  Ver batim.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
my advise. sabotage him. give him some ammo with no powder in it.

I was thinking I'd give him some snap-caps and tell him they're armor piercing high explosive boolits.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife and moved to a little town outside Austin that is in one of the poorest counties in Texas. The only industry is a mattress factory and a jail.

We also live on the main East West thoroughfare through town - Saturdays and Sundays are an endless parade of new SUVs and pimped out cars with expensive rims and tires and even more expensive stereo systems, exhaust systems - you name it.  If you drive around town you can see these same cars parked in the yard right up to the front door of shacks. Also these are the same cars that tons of groceries are loaded into after paying for them with dignity cards.

People have no shame, "my money is my money but your money is my money as well".
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
He fat?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#18]
9 pound blocks of cheese
bags of grocer      ees

We do whatever we can
Gotta duck when the shit hits the fan

(Circle Jerks)

ETA All the Lyrics!!

Shit Hits The Fan" Ringtone to your Cell  
in a sluggish economy
inflation,recession
hits the land of the free
standing in unemployment lines
blame the government for hard time

we just get by
however we can
we all gotta duck
when the shit hits the fan

10 kids in a cadillac
stand in lines for welfare checks
let's all leach off the state
gee!the money's really great!

soup lines
free loaves of bread
5lb blocks of cheese
bags of groceries
social security
has run out on you and me
we do whatever we can
gotta duck when the shit hits the fan
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Atleast they are not commuting more socially intrusive crimes in your community... I would keep an eye on men the daughter bring home.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#20]
A guy like that bought the house next door to me many years ago (assumed an fha loan, and paid a downpayment with bs lawsuit money).

First thing he ever asked me was if he could tap into the cable line at my house.

He worked under the table driving a truck, but still hit up the churches for Christmas toys for the kids (which they destroyed on their front lawn, just because they were free).

He had his kids drinking O'Douls at 6 or 7 years of age.

His wife shot him in the foot.

We moved shortly, and I heard later that the house had been foreclosed on.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Does this guy bumpfire the said M9?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welfare to work bacon
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Well after your shtf food runs out, you know who to eat.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does this guy bumpfire the said M9?

We've got a winner!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#27]

I've seen worse trailers.  Much worse.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen worse trailers.  Much worse.

So have i...
I've pushed them in holes and burned them because they were so bad (dog crap, attempted meth labs, etc)...
(now we no longer rent out trailers, just lots)...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#29]
You know the saddest part is the way this "family" lives is no longer the exception to the rule...

There are more of "them"(takers) than "us"(producers) anymore.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#30]
at first I was thinking WTF but then I decided hey at least he will have his own gun when the SHTF
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
at first I was thinking WTF but then I decided hey at least he will have his own gun when the SHTF

The one thing the gub'mint won't be handing out...
"spread the guns around.."
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#32]
just please say it wasn't Wanamaker of the surrounding area ... Acton , Shelbyville ???
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#33]
what happened to good old fashioned shame?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a friend who gripes about being broke, and 20 minutes later will brag about the new gun/laptop/Tivo he bought.  

I just ignore his griping now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Did he have any ammo ?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#37]
We've got a version of these people on ARFcom as it is.  You know the guys that have threads along the lines of:

"Hey, I finally got my paycheck.  What gun should I buy?"

They may not be on the take now, but you can bet the paycheck to paycheck crowd who view ever dollar above and beyond bills as discretionary are going to be sucking government tit the second they hit retirement age.  How many people in this thread have spent money on vacations, toys or recreation this year but haven't put a dollar towards their IRA, 401k or other alternative savings plan?

I know some people are doing everything they can just to keep their heads above water and can't afford to save at the moment.  I'm not talking about those people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Time to move...

This
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Board the doors and windows up with him inside and torch it  It'll help him lose weight!

I keed i keed
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

We've got a version of these people on ARFcom as it is. You know the guys that have threads along the lines of:

"Hey, I finally got my paycheck. What gun should I buy?"

They may not be on the take now, but you can bet the paycheck to paycheck crowd who view ever dollar above and beyond bills as discretionary are going to be sucking government tit the second they hit retirement age. How many people in this thread have spent money on vacations, toys or recreation this year but haven't put a dollar towards their IRA, 401k or other alternative savings plan?

I know some people are doing everything they can just to keep their heads above water and can't afford to save at the moment. I'm not talking about those people.

Thats why i put 10% of my check into my 401k.  When i first started working, my dad's advice was "you gotta pay yourself first".  That has always stuck with me.  So, I put my 401k contrabution as high as I could comfortably.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a plan.

I'd make sure to have a large supply of gravy.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh...you though of it too? glad to know there are others on here as sick as I am.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a plan.

I'd make sure to have a large supply of gravy.

Just add flour to some the deluge of drippings that will come off this guy when you roast him. You can skim some of the lard off and into a container to use for deep frying as well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh...you though of it too? glad to know there are others on here as sick as I am.

Considering the way he described him, you're looking at not only food, but the grease to cook it in, as well.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#45]
First give him some 380ACP or 40S&W ammo for his new Beretta, tell him never to load it till SHTF.

and when SHTF,........... congrads on the new Beretta you will be acquiring.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Time to move...

You can't move away from GOV't moochers.They're everywhere. Come down to NOLA and you'll see them all day long. The ghettos are full of nice cars. Bemmers, new Mustangs, Chargers and Escalades. Even when I moved to the country, on the Northshore we lived across the street from a nice black couple. They both worked and drove brand new cars. Then I found out the gov't was paying their rent (section 8). They got food stamps and welfare as well. Each one of them were making more than I was making, yet my GF (single mom) applied for it and couldn't get it before I moved in with her.

Some people just know how to use the system. Honest people get screwed when they fall on hard times because of people like that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

350 lbs.  Smoke that shit for emergency jerky rations!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
First give him some 380ACP or 40S&W ammo for his new Beretta, tell him never to load it till SHTF.

and when SHTF,........... congrads on the new Beretta you will be acquiring.

Go one better:

Tell him you'll refinish it for him for $20.00. Take it apart, use a torch to heat the breech end of the barrel up until it's red hot. Let it cool and then polish it up, then lay a coat of paint over the whole pistol and bake it to harden the paint.

Give him some +P+ ammo to run through it.

This description of the above procedure is intended for entertainment purposes only, and is not an endorsement of any such activity, legal or otherwise, and should not be construed as such.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate it when taxpayers are the victims of fraud.

Photos of him working + SSA Fraud line = maybe some pangs of guilt, but a little peace of mind as well

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:03:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Soylent Green Bacon FTW!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top