Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 7:00:48 AM EDT
So, I live in Alaska. I am planning building a cabin. Place near me in Wasilla sells 40x24 8 inch "D" log cabin kits for 27k. What I am planning is putting in an outdoor wood boiler, solar and maybe a small wind generator for emergency/SHTF/lower electric bill power.

What I am wondering is if any of you can tell me if a outdoor boiler in the $5,000 range would be big enough to heat the slab for the house, and another 12x12 or so with a garage on it? Temps get into the -20s in the winter. Not any more cold than in Mn or Wi though.

I suspect I would have to put maybe an indoor wood stove in for additional heat for colder days in the winter. Maybe not though.

Also, can anyone tell me how water pumps and such for the in floor heat effect your electric bill?

Thanks for any info!

Aviator

Cabin Kit info
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You will need to do a heat load calculation for your cabin.  This is the standard method used to size furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, etc.  Figure out how many BTUs you will lose in an hour on the coldest night, size your heat system appropriately, and stay warm.  Google should bring up trial applications that can at least get you in the ballpark.  Plug in numbers for wall insulation, window sizes and insulation, attic insulation, spray or rigid foam insulation under the slab, etc and exterior dimensions.

As far as wind goes, don't bother with systems that don't have the turbine at least 30 feet above the nearest trees / mountains / whatever that are within 300 feet.  Also don't bother with systems that have a small rotor diameter.  2 meter (6 foot) is what I would consider minimum, 3 meter or larger will let you produce useful energy.  Higher system voltage is also a plus.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You might have more responses in the Survival Forum
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Cannot help you with the math, but I will caution you to take a VERY close look at your log cabin kit.  I've seen some pretty expensive disasters from those things.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies so far!

Aviator
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top