Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 6:39:01 AM EDT
anybody who watches the show knows this guy gets to  go all over america and try interesting food .THATS what they say interesting food HMMMM
. i have been to 3 of his   picks  in the Chicago area and  2  out of 3 were were  disappointments  ,
A Mexican place has  good  food (cemitas publeas ) thumbs up on that , the other 2 who shall remain nameless a hot dog stand was so so and the pizza place  (recent visit) was the  greasiest pizza i have ever eaten .on the way home i was thinking they must feed this guy cat food for days before he does his  eye popping  ogling reviews . so anything he  eats  tastes great .last time i take this guys advice  ,nothing beats a Maxwell street polish  or a combo from Portillos
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
All about ratings - not legit good food joints.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#2]
He has the same reaction every time.  He almost falls over with how good he claims it is.  Some of it has to suck.  If you like, use his show as a first step then check chow hound and other reviews to see if the consensus is good or not.  Even then, I've been to famous places where the greatest "whatever" they are known for was mediocre at best.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
one of his   reviews was somewhere where they top donuts with bacon and he liked it  , better that cat food i guess
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Your have to wonder how honest a guy is when he NEVER gives a bad or even mediocre review.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Kinda like gun magazines.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Cattleman's in Oklahoma City was featured on the show last week.  I was there in '95, and it was great.  For me,  the show developed a little more credibility.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
different folks life different foods.  like some guys like 1911s and 45acp, others like glocks and 9mm.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I think Guy Fieri has a different idea of a "dive" than I do.  A mom & pop joint isn't a dive and doesn't even mean the food is good.  I like the kind of dumps that are shut down by the health department a few times a year.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
So far the closest option to me that I've seen is that hamburger joint in Ann Arbor, I might check it out, but the burgers didn't look all that special and the service will bitch you out if you don't order in the right sequence. Must be a Michigan thing where it's special to be bitched out by a burger joint cook for ordering wrong, I dunno but maybe I'll try it if I'm ever out that way, no special trip or anything though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been to the places that he went to in Southern California, Including Hodad's.  They were all amazing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:26:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I went to Red Mills burgers in Seattle and it was just as good as it looked on TV.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:55:47 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife is a regular at the Tea Shop in Memphis and we both are regulars at Leonard's BBQ.  Both were great before DD&D had them on the show and they still have the same quality as before.  The only change Leondard's did was put up a map of the US and later the world where you could mark where you were from.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Guy Was at T-Bone Toms BBQ Near my house in Kemah Texas a month or so ago. The episode will air on Nov 23 (I believe). I have eaten there in the past and never really found it to be a stand out BBQ restaurant. I picked up some BBQ from them yesterday and still wasn't impressed. It was over priced for what I got on top of being just okay BBQ. I look forward to seeing the DD&D episode. T-Bones now has a big sign up that says "as Seen on Diners Drive Ins & Dives". Good for them.

FWIW, I Think Sonny Bryan's up in the DFW area is a hell of a lot better.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#15]
He went to Hullabaloo's diner outside of College Station a couple of years ago. There is a bar on the same property

not owned by them, but built around the actual diner.  I hang out at the bar regularly and the food from the diner

is freakin' incredible.
Next time I go there (probably this weekend), I'll post a pic of what I get...
Diner website: http://www.hullabaloodiner.com/
DD&D Episode:

I recommend anyone within a 3 hour drive to try it out, and then head over to the bar for some beers

ETA: The pizza place there is beyond ridiculous as well...

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Your have to wonder how honest a guy is when he NEVER gives a bad or even mediocre review.

Probably paid by the restaurant. Our local reviewers here are paid to eat but they aren't bias.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So far the closest option to me that I've seen is that hamburger joint in Ann Arbor, I might check it out, but the burgers didn't look all that special and the service will bitch you out if you don't order in the right sequence. Must be a Michigan thing where it's special to be bitched out by a burger joint cook for ordering wrong, I dunno but maybe I'll try it if I'm ever out that way, no special trip or anything though.
Whoa you mean people pay somebody to bitch them out if they don't order correctly....they don't need my money bad enough....last time I payed somebody to bitch me out I divorced the bitch....

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#18]
You really gonna take food advice from a dude with a highlighted blowout?  I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoa you mean people pay somebody to bitch them out if they don't order correctly....they don't need my money bad enough....last time I payed somebody to bitch me out I divorced the bitch....

You sound like a man who needs to go to Philly and order a steak.

Excellent, polite, attentive service all around.  Your kind of city, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes. He went to the Marietta Diner. Sure the food is good but I'd never recommend it. A 1/2 a mile north and just east of the big chicken is a great hot dog joint that blows it away and within 3 miles is Christos which has GREAT gyros (7.5/10 stuff). Missed all the good spots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Kinda like gun magazines.

QFT

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
one of his   reviews was somewhere where they top donuts with bacon and he liked it  , better that cat food i guess

Voodoo donuts in Oregon has maple bacon donuts. I was visiting there with the family and ordered one. They all thought I was crazy till they tasted it. One of the best dounts ever.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#23]
his diner choice in jersey sucked - nothing home made - alll shit
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#24]
When I think Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, I think cheap food.  I have been to a couple of places that Guy has visited before they were even on the show and those places are not cheap by any means.  The other month he visited Kenny and Ziggys here in Houston and most of their sandwiches start at 15 dollars!  Albeit, they do make some of the best deli sandwiches around.  But 15.95 for a pastrami and corned beef sandwich is a little crazy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Sorry but there have been plenty of things he eats that he didn't like. It was great to see him eat calf brains and eggs
, and get grossed out. then he reaches for the first thing in reach to get rid of the taste and pops a lamb fry

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top