Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2009 6:35:50 AM EDT
Have any of you ever been stung by a scorpian? I just recently moved and had some stuff in storage for about a month. I've been finding these little brown bastards around the floor and in a couple boxes of the stuff that just came out of storage. Reading up a little it seems not all scorpians are deadly and more like a bee sting. It's the first time I've actually come across them though face to face being from the east coast.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
were those in Georgia?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
About like getting hit by a red wasp.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#3]
yes we have them in GA.  They are pretty small but it hurts like a mother when they get you.

Had one get me in the lower back when it came out of the seat on a golf cart a few years ago.  Not really dangerous unless you are allergic.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
See them all the time but never been bit by one.  I know that would suck even if they are harmless.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My first KIWF post.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
where at in GA?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
i'm waiting for a dinner pic
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
This is something a member i forget who posted awile back i saved it cause i thought it was hilarious

We bought a house cheap once. One of the reasons it was cheap was probably because it was built on some kind of Scorpion Heaven and we couldn't even get an exterminator to go underneath and try to kill them off. So, we got used to seeing them everywhere inside the house.

One morning I woke up, put on my robe, fetched my first cup of coffee and sat down in front of the TV to catch up on the early news and felt an itch.... uh... how shall we say, "between my legs." Being an average guy, I scratched. I thought I felt the itch move. I pulled my robe open and looked down to see one crawling from testicle A to testicle B.

The official ARFCOM adrenaline dump followed. I slapped hard and fast, and yes it hurt, but not as bad as that damn bug would have.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#10]
2/3 ounce of Cyper WP per gallon takes care of these.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Scorpions are aggressive little fuckers that like to live in the house. No good.
BUT:

Black Widows eat them like candy, and they tend to keep clear of people if you keep a clean house and toss a bug bomb in the crawl space once a year.

+1 for Black Widows.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, I've found a little tiny black one here in SC once.

The bigger ones were in Texas.  And whip scorpions are just weird.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]

I got nailed by a small one here in Florida.  Felt like an electric shock, and my arm swelled up like a sausage.  No long-term effects, although I did feel a bit nauseous for a day.  I'm trying not to get stung again...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I got nailed by one in AZ right on the underside of the forearm.  I got a rash and it itched for a month or better.  The strange thing is that I lost feeling in my hand for a week or so.  I could tell if I was holding something or touching something but I couldn't tell how hard I was grabbing it.  I would crush a plastic cup or break eggs picking them up.  The docs said to keep them informed but couldn't do anything for me.  It was a waiting game for sure.  Sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Scared to death of them.

I have a mild to moderate allergy to their sting/venom. Been stung a couple of times by little wood scorpions about the size as those in the photos.

Felt pain shoot up my knee and for only a couple of minutes I had trouble breathing.

Oddly enough wasp and bee stings have absolutely no effect on me. Sure, I feel the stinger go in (kind of like being pricked by a needle) but the actual sting/venom doesn't hurt a bit. Been stung multiple times in a row by a red wasp and never bothered me.

Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:14:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I got nailed by one in AZ right on the underside of the forearm.  I got a rash and it itched for a month or better.  The strange thing is that I lost feeling in my hand for a week or so.  I could tell if I was holding something or touching something but I couldn't tell how hard I was grabbing it.  I would crush a plastic cup or break eggs picking them up.  The docs said to keep them informed but couldn't do anything for me.  It was a waiting game for sure.  Sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn! I see them all the time. I've even had one fall off the ceiling and land on my foot in the shower, but I've never been stung.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm in upstate SC, they are around here in spring and fall...
I've had one stuck in my foot, hanging by the stinger before...
itched a little, but that was it.

Not dangerous unless you're allergic...

Don't eat them though...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:30:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
were those in Georgia?

Yep. I'm just outside Atlanta.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is something a member i forget who posted awile back i saved it cause i thought it was hilarious

We bought a house cheap once. One of the reasons it was cheap was probably because it was built on some kind of Scorpion Heaven and we couldn't even get an exterminator to go underneath and try to kill them off. So, we got used to seeing them everywhere inside the house.

One morning I woke up, put on my robe, fetched my first cup of coffee and sat down in front of the TV to catch up on the early news and felt an itch.... uh... how shall we say, "between my legs." Being an average guy, I scratched. I thought I felt the itch move. I pulled my robe open and looked down to see one crawling from testicle A to testicle B.

The official ARFCOM adrenaline dump followed. I slapped hard and fast, and yes it hurt, but not as bad as that damn bug would have.

My biggest fear right there. To wake up and find one crawling on the family jewels would make me do a rain dance.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#20]
One reason I am glad I live in the North.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Scorpions are aggressive little fuckers that like to live in the house. No good.
BUT:

Black Widows eat them like candy, and they tend to keep clear of people if you keep a clean house and toss a bug bomb in the crawl space once a year.

+1 for Black Widows.

I live in a suburb of Atlanta here and I have some scorpions like those but I have an asston of Black Widows. It seems the Black Widows are winning out. Haven't seen many scorpions lately but at least one has managed to get in.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT:

+1 for Black Widows.

I live in a suburb of Atlanta here and I have some scorpions like those but I have an asston of Black Widows. It seems the Black Widows are winning out. Haven't seen many scorpions lately but at least one has managed to get in.

They decimate them.

One of the things we have in bounty out in Nevada, besides Coyotes and Rabbits, is Scorpions and Black Widows. The Widders will win that battle young Jedi. The fuckers get damn near the size of a Morgan Dollar, but they keep away from people and the house for the most part and run when they see you.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They decimate them.

One of the things we have in bounty out in Nevada, besides Coyotes and Rabbits, is Scorpions and Black Widows. The Widders will win that battle young Jedi. The fuckers get damn near the size of a Morgan Dollar, but they keep away from people and the house for the most part and run when they see you.

Which is never.  Black widows are, for all practical purposes, essentially blind.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#24]
you need to send them to RangerMonroe so he can scare the shit out of his wife.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They decimate them.

Which is never.  Black widows are, for all practical purposes, essentially blind.

they must have some kind of sense for distance though. i used to try and sneak up on one on my front porch by peeking around the corner. no matter how slowly and carefully I did it, it always popped back up into the  emergency drain for my AC. I ended up just rushing it and spraying a buttload of Dursban up the pipe. End of spider.
the biggest scorpion I've seen down here was about 2.5 to 3 inches long. that seems pretty big for here; they mostly run about an inch in length.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I have an on going operation against the little bastards right now. I've found a few in my house and a bunch in the yard - a black light is a very handy thing to have. I have a led flashlight that is like a black light.

They fluoresce under a black light. It's pretty cool and makes them easy to find.

Right now, my block fence (they love to live in the pilaster sections) is only slightly less toxic than Bhopal, India.

I've been on a two prong offensive against them and am about to introduce a third:

1. Spraying a highly concentrated insecticide on the block wall surrounding my yard. (normal mixture is 2 oz per gallon of water - think an order of magnitude difference in the concentration) Expensive stuff, a gallon cost around $200.00. I have also gone out on search and destroy missions at night, using the flashlight and the sprayer. Directly spraying them is entertaining, especially when they start stinging themselves.

2. insecticide crystals around the perimeter of the fence. Enough to do my entire yard twice, concentrated in a 4" strip along the base of the block fence. The crystals are intended to be sprayed with water so they dissolve and spread out. I have not sprayed them, nor do I intend to.

3. This will be done soon: I am going to spread a barrier of Diatomaceous Earth around the foundation of my house. D.E. get taken into their air holes (forget the exact term, but they are spira-somethings

) The D.E. then either tears up their innards or clogs the holes and they suffocate. Either way they die.

Since my offensive has begun, I went from finding a dozen of them in my fence / yard, to one or two, to zero. I have also been finding dead ones along the exclusion zone at the base of my fence. I don't care if they have gone to my neighbors yards or they are in fact dying in my yard - as long as we don't have them in our house or our yard.

I was forbidden to use any tactics that would destroy my house or any of the neighbors. I contemplated burning down the house to make sure we got them, but the wife wouldn't accept that as a viable option.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They decimate them.

True. I should have said sense or feel you... but you get the gist.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I have been stung 3 times here in Ga. it is over rated
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Opened the door to one of my cell sites near Homerville, GA one day and one bowed up like he was a badass.  Stomped his little ass.

Later I regretted it.  I should have gotten the camera, taken a pic, and THEN stomped his ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Cyber WP will kill those fuckers dead. Apply liberally where they are found.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top