Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:28 AM EDT
The wife-unit and I just closed escrow on our first home and starting moving in this weekend.  We also bought a new car for the wife-unit.  A great weekend overall.

Now for the advice part:

I recently got a PS3 and wanted to do some online gaming.  We're getting Comcast in our new home and I wanted to know which of the following internet packages would be the MINIMUM requirement for decent online gaming.  I know that the faster the better, but I don't know if the wife-unit wants to spend $100 per month on teh internets...

Here is what Comcast offers:

http://www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow2/products.cspx?SourcePage=Cable&

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Won't let you see what they offer without an address.

If you are just gaming and not downloading movies and other really big files you can just get the slowest package games don't need alot of bandwidth at all ,it's latency that is important (how fast the info gets from you to server and back).
If comcasts network is ok in your area you will be fine without the 870000000Mbs connection.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the lowest package comcast offers and I have no prob with my 360 and COD.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have the lowest package comcast offers and I have no prob with my 360 and COD.

This.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Online gaming doesn't use much bandwidth, it has more to do with latency. Higher bandwidth will help if you have multiple people using the internet to download movies or other files while you're gaming. I just gave Xbox Live high Quality of Service priority on my router so it'll slow other stuff down before Xbox Live performance degrades.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
+1
the whole powerboost non-sense that they push IIRC only relates to download speeds.  it will boost speed up to a certain file size then fall back.

i.e.  you have a 30mb download.  the first 5mb will download at x rate and the last 25 mb will download at the slower y rate.  or some crap like that

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information, guys.  I appreciate it.  

Quoted:
Online gaming doesn't use much bandwidth, it has more to do with latency. Higher bandwidth will help if you have multiple people using the internet to download movies or other files while you're gaming. I just gave Xbox Live high Quality of Service priority on my router so it'll slow other stuff down before Xbox Live performance degrades.

So if I was killin' zombies and my wife was surfing the internet in the other room, would the basic high-speed package still be enough for both of us to do what we want?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top