Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 6:29:08 AM EDT
A guy at work told me about this last night.

He said it was a house converted into a restaurant. They cook the food and you place your order downstairs, and then you eat upstaris. he said the upstairs was all couches and Tv tables. sounds cool.

True?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
wut?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been to Bangor many, many times and I have never seen a converted house mcdonalds.

Just the usual style building.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a Ronald McDonald House in Bangor, maybe that is what he is talking about?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, but when I went to ME as a kid the local McDonalds had lobster on the menu
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know, but when I went to ME as a kid the local McDonalds had lobster on the menu

well yeah

blueberry shakes too
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
There's something similar in Pittsburgh. Its a typical downtown style 2-3 story commercial building. Downstairs you order and have limited seating, upstairs is the primary seating. Restrooms are in the basement. Looks like all the other buildings except for the signage.

ETA...found it...all boarded up for the G20

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I ate too much lobster as a kid when living in Maine .... I just cant believe that lobster cooked by the incompetent workers of McDonalds who cant even get NO MUSTARD right would be very good.  Although it is rather difficult to fuck up boiling a lobster and melting butter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure it's the one in Freeport you're referring to.

Wikipedia-
In 1982, McDonald's made plans to tear down an 1850s Greek Revival house to build one of its standard stores. Outcry from residents caused the town to adopt new ordinances concerning what businesses could and couldn't do with their buildings, and McDonald's built the restaurant inside the house, maintaining the exterior appearance. This was one of the first times that McDonald's had been forced to change its restaurant design to fit local requirements

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well yeah

blueberry shakes too

Gotta have a lobster roll if it's summertime in ME.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well yeah

blueberry shakes too

I don't eat 'em.

Bottomfeeders
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wikipedia-
In 1982, McDonald's made plans to tear down an 1850s Greek Revival house to build one of its standard stores. Outcry from residents caused the town to adopt new ordinances concerning what businesses could and couldn't do with their buildings, and McDonald's built the restaurant inside the house, maintaining the exterior appearance. This was one of the first times that McDonald's had been forced to change its restaurant design to fit local requirements

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/vicjmick/New%20England%20June%202008/NewEnglandTrip6-22-08-6-27-08069.jpg

Obviously taken before tourist season... no cars and no one jaywalking. We lived in Yarmouth for a while, and it's just as bad during the Clam Festival.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well yeah

blueberry shakes too

I don't eat 'em.

Bottomfeeders

Honestly though, you'll get the best lobster roll in the state at Reds Eats, basically a hot dog stand on the side of Rte 1 in Wiscasset, and that's the truth.

lanK- I don't remember anything too different inside the Freeport McDs restaurant, I don't recall anything out of the ordinary as far as ordering, don't remember ever being upstairs or couches or any of that stuff. There may be something like that in Bangor, but I'm not aware of it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#13]
They tried to make a Subway in the Oldest Home in Redding Ca. (Thompson House 1872) but economy tanked.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Note to self for next visit...

Now back to your regularly scheduled McDonalds in ME thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wikipedia-

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m106/vicjmick/New%20England%20June%202008/NewEnglandTrip6-22-08-6-27-08069.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/savage_winchester/2272065588_71bb3991c0.jpg

I've been to the one in Freeport quite a few times. I have been gone from Maine for a couple years but last time I was in Bangor
what you were talking about wasn't there....
If you go to Bangor make sure you skip across the river and go to Maine Military Supply in Brewer....! Place and crew kicks ass.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well yeah

blueberry shakes too

I don't eat 'em.

Bottomfeeders

Honestly though, you'll get the best lobster roll in the state at Reds Eats, basically a hot dog stand on the side of Rte 1 in Wiscasset, and that's the truth.

lanK- I don't remember anything too different inside the Freeport McDs restaurant, I don't recall anything out of the ordinary as far as ordering, don't remember ever being upstairs or couches or any of that stuff. There may be something like that in Bangor, but I'm not aware of it.

I think the OP just got the snobby towns mixed up...  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been in the Freeport Mcdonalds pictures there many times. Probably the cleanest and best Mcdonalds I have ever been in. Would not want to live anywhere south of Bangor, however.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wikipedia-

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/savage_winchester/2272065588_71bb3991c0.jpg

I just drove by that 2 weeks ago and it didn't even dawn on me that there was a mcdonalds in that mf'kn house!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been in the Freeport Mcdonalds pictures there many times. Probably the cleanest and best Mcdonalds I have ever been in. Would not want to live anywhere south of Bangor, however.

BAHHHHH I grew up in Gray .... havent been there in 18 years but I grew up there.  

Lived about a 1/10th of a mile from Crystal lake.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BAHHHHH I grew up in Gray .... havent been there in 18 years but I grew up there.  

Lived about a 1/10th of a mile from Crystal lake.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:57:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I ate too much lobster as a kid when living in Maine .... I just cant believe that lobster cooked by the incompetent workers of McDonalds who cant even get NO MUSTARD right would be very good.  Although it is rather difficult to fuck up boiling a lobster and melting butter.

Actually, it's pretty easy to mess up....just boil the lobster too long.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<>If you go to Bangor make sure you skip across the river and go to Maine Military Supply in Brewer....! Place and crew kicks ass.....

The place is pretty cool. IIRC, it's the largest mil-surp store in New England?

I've bought some stuff there, an AK several years ago, ammo cans, a Gadsden and Culpepper flag etc.

One heavyset guy in there reeaallly reminds me of this guy though.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#24]
McDonalds did this in Freeport too b/c of 'zoning'. In fact it might well have preceded any other location in ME. The town allowed McDs only if their store didn't look like a McD's.

ETA: LOL, the food didnt taste any better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top