Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 10:55:25 PM EDT
For the second time in a few weeks our alarm panel has started beeping in the middle of the night.  This time it occurred at 2:30AM.  We set the panel to STAY at night. I believe this arms all the door sensors and the two motion detectors we have in the basement.

Last time I was unable to see what the panel displayed.  This time the panel was beeping (beeeep beeeep beeeep beeeep beeeep), the red "armed" light was on and the panel simply displayed "STAY".  Is this the case of a motion detector downstairs picking up a rodent?  If I let it continue to beep would the alarm have gone off after 60 seconds (or less)?  I disarmed the system, and armed with my streamlight and Mark23 I bladed and swept the area. I checked the doors/windows/rooms and all was clear.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
is there anyway for a human to get in the basement, if not could be rodents or hot air, are your sensors near heat outlets or uninsulated ducts?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
get a "voice alert" system, it will tell you over a loud speaker what door or sensor is tripped

"Beep...Back Door"
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
No air ducts/heat sources near the sensors.  The only way for a human to get in would have been detected by my sweep.  So the panel beeping was the precursor to the alarm going off?

I got a message out to the security company to get more info as to how the system works.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Fixed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
 Thats right - it WAS the Mark23 not the USP Tactical
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:39:31 AM EDT
[#6]
On our system "stay" alarms the door/window sensors but not the motion detectors (because you are staying in the house) and "away" sets everything.

If the alarm panel is still showing armed and "stay" then I doubt anything tripped a sensor, does it have a history/log you can access?

You can probably look up the model number online and find the manual which should tell you what the beeps are.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:50:35 AM EDT
[#7]
How old is the battery? They last about 4 years then need to be replaced.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup.

Alarm beeps when back-up battery will no longer hold a charge.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Alarm beeps when back-up battery will no longer hold a charge.

This.  Usually, alarm backup batteries & smoke alarm batteries will cause the systems to beep during the night b/c the house normally gets cooler over night causing stress on the battery...
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:35:22 AM EDT
[#10]
mine tells me what zone has tripped...let her go then reset when alam goes off.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah.  The stay on ours arms doors and the motions in the un occupied basement.

I will look into the battery.  It is coming up on 5 years with this system.

Thanks all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top