Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 7:42:16 PM EDT
You will win 10 internet points if you can name the company of this car alarm. And any info on or about this type of alarm.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u67/darkknight0999/IMG_2350.jpg

and no. I do not know how to embed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You will win 10 internet points if you can name the company of this car alarm. And any info on or about this type of alarm.

and no. I do not know how to embed.

It's not an embed...it's posting a pic.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Look on the back of the brain.  There should be more tags back there, including the FCC ID, which would help.  Or do you already know it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevermind.

It's a Prestige, by Audiovox.  

ETA:  Rotate your image 90 degrees to the right, and compare to this:

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Star Trek
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nevermind.

It's a Prestige, by Audiovox.  

You sir are the lucky winner!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
question now is... are these any good.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
question now is... are these any good.

They've been around FOREVER.  I've never heard of anyone having any problems with them.  IIRC, I had one back in ~1994.  It worked just fine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I question its ability to do its job though. Its on a stolen recovery vehicle......
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I question its ability to do its job though. Its on a stolen recovery vehicle......

Was it armed when the vehicle was stolen?  If not, well, it might as well not have been there.  Mine had a starter disable.  It worked like it was supposed to.  The only way to override it would be to cut and splice wires.  If that hasn't been done, the alarm wasn't armed or was installed improperly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#10]
to be honest were not even sure about anything. It appears they tried stealing as much as they can while they could. Pretty amateur shit to be honest. They tried to rip alot of the trim out. The door trim was ripped off.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

to be honest were not even sure about anything. It appears they tried stealing as much as they can while they could. Pretty amateur shit to be honest. They tried to rip alot of the trim out. The door trim was ripped off.

what kind of car?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I worked as an installer for a few years.

the alarm is only as good as the installation. What type of crimp connectors did they use. Did they strip and solder? Did they use scotchloks?

In any case, the Prestige alarms were not very expensive at the shop's price (under $20 for the whole unit, IIRC), but they charged a pretty penny to sell you one. They were as reliable as any other brand, though the remotes weren't the most attractive compared to others.

If I were going to get another car alarm, I'd buy a Directed Electronics Viper brand alarm. They were the best.

As for the cheap prestige ones, I actually used one to make a remotely operated paintball mine. I had a pressurized canister of paint hooked up to a lawn sprinkler solenoid valve and spray head. This was connected to a relay on the siren output of the alarm.

The whole thing was powered by 2 lantern batteries inside a tupperware container spray painted camo.

I had a piece of rebar driven into the ground and strapped the alarm's shock sensor to it.

When armed, anyone running within a few feet of it would set it off. You could also manually trigger it with the panic button on the remote, or disarm it to allow friendly players to pass.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

what kind of car?

Dodge Ram.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I worked as an installer for a few years.

the alarm is only as good as the installation. What type of crimp connectors did they use. Did they strip and solder? Did they use scotchloks?

In any case, the Prestige alarms were not very expensive at the shop's price (under $20 for the whole unit, IIRC), but they charged a pretty penny to sell you one. They were as reliable as any other brand, though the remotes weren't the most attractive compared to others.

If I were going to get another car alarm, I'd buy a Directed Electronics Viper brand alarm. They were the best.

As for the cheap prestige ones, I actually used one to make a remotely operated paintball mine. I had a pressurized canister of paint hooked up to a lawn sprinkler solenoid valve and spray head. This was connected to a relay on the siren output of the alarm.

The whole thing was powered by 2 lantern batteries inside a tupperware container spray painted camo.

I had a piece of rebar driven into the ground and strapped the alarm's shock sensor to it.

When armed, anyone running within a few feet of it would set it off. You could also manually trigger it with the panic button on the remote, or disarm it to allow friendly players to pass.

Lol, creative ways of using such things.  Yea, I had a viper alarm system on my previous car. It was fairly expensive too to be honest.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Audiovox remote start

EDIT DOH Already answered. I just replied lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Audiovox remote start

EDIT DOH Already answered. I just replied lol

Do you think its just a remote starter? Or is it a alarm / remote start combo.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:15:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Without a pic of the other harness I would guess it is a remote start/keyless entry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Without a pic of the other harness I would guess it is a remote start/keyless entry.

Thats what im thinking, the 3 pin molex with the red and green wire is usually door lock outputs. But if the wire for the third pin is Red/black then its the input wires to activate the RS. If your truck has factory keyless push lock/unlock/lock to activate the RS.

More pics would help. I could give you a better idea what you have.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top