Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 5:48:23 PM EDT
I know, the subject title sounded "X" rated but this thread is for wing fanatics that have a problem.  I must have wings at least once a week or I get the shakes.  I bought a counter-top deep fryer to start making my own wings at home.  The problem - how to make the perfect sauce......

The perfect wing sauce (for me) must meet these basic requirements:

1. THICK.  Wing sauce is always too freakin' thin.  There should be "chunks" of hot sauce on the wings.  

2. SPICY.  I like to feel pain when I eat.  The next day, I should have to shit in the creek so I don't set the woods on fire.

3. TRADITIONAL. I don't like honey-BBQ-pepper-parmasean-peanut-wtfbbq wing sauce.  Simple is better, I will add chopped garlic, that's it.

So, who's got the best recipe?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
BW3's Mango Habanero Sauce...seriously.

These are "close". I just buy it by the bottle.

Mango-Habanero Sauce
Source: Recipesecret / Kitchenwitch

2 T peanut oil
8 ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into large dices
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrot
2 fresh orange habaneros
1/2 cup champagne vinegar (or other white wine
vinegar or white wine)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
salt to taste

Warm the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add mangoes, onion, carrot, and habanero chiles. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat, until onions are soft and translucent. Remove mango mix from pan. Deglaze* pan with the vinegar (stirring constantly), and then add ketchup and sugar. Return the mango mix to the pan and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 35 to 45 minutes. Remove from stove and season with salt to taste. Transfer to a blender, pulse sauce, and strain through a medium strainer. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water to thin.
*Deglazing helps loosen the browned bits on the bottom of a pan. The left over mixture is often used in sauces. Also, this recipe doesn't specifically say to remove the food from the pan before deglazing. But, by definition, deglazing requires that it (and excess fat) be removed first.

***************************************************************************************************************

Mango Habanero Barbecue Sauce
Source: Recipesecret / Kitchenwitch

3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 habanero pepper, diced with seeds and ribs removed
1 teaspoon diced garlic
2 cups diced mango
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

Place a 1-quart saucepan over medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and habanero pepper and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the lime juice and vinegar. Bring the pan to a boil then reduce the heat to medium. Add the sugar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt to the pan. Continue to cook the barbeque sauce until the mangoes are very soft, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the sauce to cool for about 15 minutes. You can leave the sauce chunky like this, or puree the contents of the pan in a blender on low speed for 1 minute, if desired. Reserve the sauce until ready to use. Sauce will keep up to 10 days in a non-reactive air-tight container in the refrigerator.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Mango Habenero is my favorite wing sauce, but it's not "use a fire extinguisher on your asshole" hot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...it's not "use a fire extinguisher on your asshole" hot.

Yeah. I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]
whats with the daily wing threads?
-heat corn oil, 375f

-add 20 frozen wings

-cook 18 min (or 15-16 min for thawed wings)(you will know they are cooked when they are golden, brown and delicious and the slim end of the drumstick is dark brown, and steam slows to rise from the cooker)

-remove, place into tupperware bin

-add sauce to wings in bin

-shake

-serve
sauces:

good old standard - Franks RedHot wing sauce

want it hotter - add more Franks

want it even hotter - Asian Style: 1/3-1/2 cup Sriracha(cock sauce), 1/2 cup butter and 4 cloves garlic, 1 lime juice. Puree into a sauce.

want it really hot - Use any of the above recipes, but add Daves Insanity sauce to it all.

want chunky sauce - Use the Siracha recipe, but add chopped habaneros or other peppers

want thick - fry for a few minutes less, then put sauce on, then slam them under a preheated broiler for a few minutes to dry out the sauce
serve

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
whats with the daily wing threads?

Wings are a food group. Part of the pyramid and all...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I wont release my exact recipe but here are the basics.

3-5 hand fulls of your favorite peppers.  I use the dry red pepper, habineros, pequins and serrano's.(spelling on all/)

cut the stems and soak in vinegar for at least a day, I usually go 3-4 weeks.

dump entire contents of pepper/vinegar mix into warm skillet, add 5 gloves garlic, 2 tsp. comino, 1/2 cup chili powder and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.  add 2 small cans tomato paste, 2 sticks of butter, and one can tomato sauce, simmer for 30 minutes.

strain peppers from pan, put in blender.  Blend and add fluid from pan until consistency is the way you like.

Allow to cool, fry the best part of the chicken, toss wings and sauce in bowl, put on gas grill for 5 minutes on med.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
basic wing sauce is pretty darn simple.. Add melted Butter to Texas Pete and your done.. you want the sauce thicker let the butter cool and congeal some. Shit aint rocket science. You want it extra thick you could try a slurry but i would not. just let the butter do its thing.

"In a large pot, place enough sauce and butter to allow the chicken to be submerged. I use 1 stick of butter for every 12 oz. of Texas Pete sauce."

If you like it hotter than texas pete then go find your favorite insanely hot sauce and heat up to taste. Avoid powders as they wont desolve and will only make the sauce gritty.. Personally i am a "da Bomb" kind of guy but use wiht EXTREME caution.

"Da' Bomb The Final Answer - The hottest of all of the Da' Bomb line. Rated at 1,500,000 Scoville Units. Not for direct consumption, use as a food additive only. Warning: Do NOT eat straight out of the jar! "

Da Bomb

use that shit at your own risk..
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
basic wing sauce is pretty darn simple.. Add melted Butter to Texas Pete and your done.. you want the sauce thicker let the butter cool and congeal some. Shit aint rocket science. You want it extra thick you could try a slurry but i would not. just let the butter do its thing.

If you like it hotter than texas pete then go find your favorite insanely hot sauce and heat up to taste. Avoid powders as they wont desolve and will only make the sauce gritty.. Personally i am a "da Bomb" kind of guy but use wiht EXTREME caution.

Da Bomb

http://www.insanechicken.com/images/P/DaBombFinalAnswer.jpg

use that shit at your own risk..

'da bomb is the only sauce I've found that I am scarred of, dave's insanity sauce runs from this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
dont forget the vinegar to add to the store purchased sauce.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

'da bomb is the only sauce I've found that I am scarred of, dave's insanity sauce runs from this stuff.

And thats a fact jack.. I use a tooth pick to add that shit to sauce. Fuck even trying to poor it.. I dip a toothpick in da bomb then stir the pick in the sauce then toss pick. Rinse and repeat until you get it hot enough. Also wearing gloves would help and for the love of god dont let it touch your skin or your face and if you touch your eyes then just be prepaired to go fucking blind.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

want thick - fry for a few minutes less, then put sauce on, then slam them under a preheated broiler for a few minutes to dry out the sauce

This, use to work in a pizza shop. After you put the wings in the oven the sauce will thicken up, then recoat the wings again. Delicious.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Simple.  The classic Buffalo recipe is nothing more than melted butter and Franks Red Hot Sauce.

I use the same recipe, but add a bit of cayenne pepper powder and some fine fresh black pepper to the sauce.  You can deep fry the wings, but I like cooking them in the oven first then finishing on the grill.  

Bake them naked until they're basically done, then remove and toss in a large bowl with the sauce.  Finish over a grill with a high flame to get the skin nice and crispy, then toss in the sauce again.

I let the sauce cool once it's made so it's nice and thick as the butter starts to thicken again.  It'll stick to the wings better that way.  

You can control the heat by the ratio of butter to Franks Red Hot.  I add the cayenne powder so I don't thin the sauce to much, but kick up the heat a bit more.  If you're a garlic fan, a spoonful of minced garlic in the sauce is great too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Dude.

Order some naga jolokia peppers online and start from there.

I ordered mine today...I can't wait.

And Buffalo mild wings wings are good but aren't that hot. I get the mango habanero and dunk it in blazin sauce to make a decent wing with some heat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
open bottle of franks.  pour franks on wings.  eat.  repeat as needed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to peppers.com

All your wing sauce (and hot sauce) fantasies will come true.
I prefer franks and butter (aka the original buffalo wing)

Be careful what you wish for. Blairs, Dave, Da Bomb, Armageddon, The source, Viscous Viper, pure cap, and others can literally wreck your life.

Georgia Peach and Vidallia is a phenominal sauce too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#16]
After a lot of trial and error here is my favorite - I use fresh peppers from my garden when possible.

5 - Large red Cayenne peppers diced

10 - orange Habenero peppers diced

1 - small onion diced (about a cup)

1 - Elephant garlic clove diced

2 - tbsp Cayenne powder

2 - tbsp crushed red pepper

1 - tbsp sugar

2 - tbsp fresh ground black pepper

2 - tbsp sea salt

About a cup of vinegar – just enough to boil the stuff - if you cover all the ingredients it’s probably too much

Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and simmer in vinegar at a slow boil stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes (this will stink up the house)

Remove from heat and let it cool

Add to a food processor and puree into a liquid - add vinegar to thin if needed

Put it in the fridge and allow it to age for 2 weeks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This, use to work in a pizza shop. After you put the wings in the oven the sauce will thicken up, then recoat the wings again. Delicious.

Hmm so that's why those wings are so damn good...my favorite wings come from a small college-town pizza place, and their wings come in an aluminum "to-go" tin which I figured they place in the oven for a short time to thicken up the sauce they usually partially float the wings in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I wont release my exact recipe but here are the basics.

3-5 hand fulls of your favorite peppers. I use the dry red pepper, habineros, pequins and serrano's.(spelling on all/)

cut the stems and soak in vinegar for at least a day, I usually go 3-4 weeks.

dump entire contents of pepper/vinegar mix into warm skillet, add 5 gloves garlic, 2 tsp. comino, 1/2 cup chili powder and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. add 2 small cans tomato paste, 2 sticks of butter, and one can tomato sauce, simmer for 30 minutes.

strain peppers from pan, put in blender. Blend and add fluid from pan until consistency is the way you like.

Allow to cool, fry the best part of the chicken, toss wings and sauce in bowl, put on gas grill for 5 minutes on med.

Enjoy!

Damn!  That sounds about spot on!  Will try soon!  Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#20]
lard/bacon grease- cut up hot ass peppers and cook out oils into it-hot as much you like, you can also add pepper powders here
add butter, vineger to cut oil a little, sometimes a pinch of sugar and season
add hotsauce-

pour on wings
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#21]
2/3 Cattleman's BBQ sauce to 1/3 Frank's red hot sauce.

Stir.....done.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]
If ya want hot, crush some of these up and add them to your mix.

http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/Pepper.worlds.hottest.html

AB
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Want hot?

Just use a tiny bit of this stuff.  It's all heat, not a whole heck of a lot of flavor to interfere with whatever other flavor you in there.

(heed the warnings, they are there for a reason)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Want hot?

http://www.hotsauce.com/v/vspfiles/photos/1155SB-2T.jpg

Just use a tiny bit of this stuff.  It's all heat, not a whole heck of a lot of flavor to interfere with whatever other flavor you in there.

(heed the warnings, they are there for a reason)

Da Bomb > the devils blood. Devils blood = 800,000SU.. da bomb = 1.5 million. thats almost twice as hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top