Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 10:47:48 AM EDT
Considering  switching to the Droid. Any feedback from current owners?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it out now?

I've been waiting so I can go take a look at one, I'm eligible for a handset upgrade so I think I can get one for a discount.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it is released until later this week.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't think it is released until later this week.

Ahh. Guess I won't be getting a lot of feedback then.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have the Droid, but I have the HTC Hero running the Android platform.  The Android OS is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
What is the Motorola Droid?

Google is my friend.

That looks like a nice phone.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I may or may not have had the chance to play with one...

The functionality is amazing, my only complaint is the weight and size of it.  But when you pack that many features and that much power into it it's going to be much heavier than you're simple phone.  

If you don't mind just having a virtual keyboard though I would wait a bit longer.  Good things are coming.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#7]
<3 my G1 droid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The functionality is amazing, my only complaint is the weight and size of it.  But when you pack that many features and that much power into it it's going to be much heavier than you're simple phone.  

If you don't mind just having a virtual keyboard though I would wait a bit longer.  Good things are coming.

From what I have "heard", it's going to sell like hotcakes...   I'm still holding back my desire for an HTC though...

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I have "heard", it's going to sell like hotcakes...   I'm still holding back my desire for an HTC though...

I definitely expect it to sell very quickly.  My only concern is that they mess up on distribution and don't get enough out there come release date which has been released for Nov. 6.

Well this one is not an HTC, so I would suggest waiting for a possible HTC in the future.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll gladly shitcan my wimo phone for a droid. I'll have to wait until the 11th, though, as that's when my contract is up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll gladly shitcan my wimo phone for a droid. I'll have to wait until the 11th, though, as that's when my contract is up.

VZW does allow you to upgrade 4months before the end of your contract.  Just for your info if you are already a customer.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#12]
my contract ended last month....
gonna go get one as soon as they come in (I hope) if not I'm getting one for christmas....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:18:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

VZW does allow you to upgrade 4months before the end of your contract.  Just for your info if you are already a customer.

My "new every 2" date is 11-NOV.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Tele sales will pull you ahead, that 5 days.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I just switched to TMobile, but there's a good chance I'll switch to VZW next year when this contract is up.  They've got better service most places, and since I don't travel internationally anymore I don't have to worry about GSM.

The Droid looks to be the best Android offering out there right now –– we'll see when it's released.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes...it depends on the situation.  

My thinking on getting upgrades has always been go into the store, play with them, find out what you like, then go order on the website for instant rebates and occassionally lower prices.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just switched to TMobile, but there's a good chance I'll switch to VZW next year when this contract is up.  They've got better service most places, and since I don't travel internationally anymore I don't have to worry about GSM.

The Droid looks to be the best Android offering out there right now –– we'll see when it's released.

One thing you can almost guarentee come next year when Verizon starts to launch LTE (which runs off GSM) is that there will be many phones which will be what they call "Global" phones which will use both GSM and CDMA.  I would definitely expect an Android "global" phone soon after LTE begins to launch, that way you won't even have to make that choice if you do need to travel internationally again in the future.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing you can almost guarentee come next year when Verizon starts to launch LTE (which runs off GSM) is that there will be many phones which will be what they call "Global" phones which will use both GSM and CDMA.  I would definitely expect an Android "global" phone soon after LTE begins to launch, that way you won't even have to make that choice if you do need to travel internationally again in the future.

That is my hope.  I also hope that VZW doesn't lock the GSM portion of the phone the way they do their international BB –– I have always bought local SIMs for my phones to avoid paying the roaming fees.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my hope.  I also hope that VZW doesn't lock the GSM portion of the phone the way they do their international BB –– I have always bought local SIMs for my phones to avoid paying the roaming fees.

All you have to do is call and request an unlock code.. I'm running a BB Storm on T-Mobile right now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:47:27 AM EDT
[#20]
check these videos out..'

droid demo
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All you have to do is call and request an unlock code.. I'm running a BB Storm on T-Mobile right now.

Ah –– excellent.  That wasn't what I had heard when they first came out with them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I pre-ordered the Droid yesterday at BestBuy. I'll be picking it up first thing Friday.

From what I have seen this is the best Android phone on the market.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm getting the HTI Hero from Sprint. When the Droid comes out you get the new 2.0 droid software for free.  Since my contract with Sprint is up it only costs me $175 vs $500 without.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm getting the HTI Hero from Sprint. When the Droid comes out you get the new 2.0 droid software for free.  Since my contract with Sprint is up it only costs me $175 vs $500 without.

It might be worth waiting.  The HTC Hero isn't that great of a phone (I personally think the G1 is significantly better), and there are a whole bunch of good Android phones coming out this year.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I called and they would not. I'll call again on the sixth and see if they will at that point.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Its not out yet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I got one and its so damned awesome its the best thing ever.

I may be lieing  about all of this post
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I almost went with the HTC Tilt 2 with AT&T, but I think I'll wait until my contract is up in February so I can move to Verizon and get a Droid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Keep an eye out for the new HTC Passion (the name may change upon release).  Verizon is going to release 3 Droids before the end of 2009.  This coming thursday is the Verizon holiday announcement date.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm back to a backup 'dumb' phone (Moto SLVR or V551 depending on mood) since AT&T changed the rules for smartphones.

Think I'm going to bail on them and just get a boost prepaid.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#31]
The Droid looks awesome.

My contract with AT&T has been up since August, this phone might make me jump ship to Verizon.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I stopped by the Verizon store here, and they had a demo model. Pretty impressive. Then I started looking at all the available apps. Gonna pick one up Friday.

The store I was at is getting a hundred in Friday, sounds like there'll be plenty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#33]
As it turns out, to finish up my AT&T contract it will cost me about $230+/- based on usage.  To cancel my contract and switch to Verizon, it will cost me about $200 in termination fees and to pay off my billing cycle to date.  So it looks like I'll be switching to Verizon sooner than I thought.  I can't wait to play with the Droid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top