Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2009 9:34:00 AM EDT

I remember seeing this story last year - but the verdict was just reached by plea bargain this summer.

What an inhuman scumbag.

Girlfriend/Wife was terrified of scuba-diving, but her "Rescue-Trained Expert Diver" fiance pressured her into taking lessons and going diving on their honeymoon - and then killed her.

Fucker had planned it for months. Even before their wedding.

In this photo supplied by Queensland Police, Christina Watson is
seen lying motionless on the sea floor as an unidentified diver poses
for the camera. A dive leader (l.) rushes to help Watson.

David Gabriel Watson (l.) and Christina Mae Watson in their engagement photo.

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in death of wife on Australia scuba diving honeymoon

An American man pleaded guilty and was sentenced Friday for the manslaughter of his wife, who drowned during their honeymoon scuba diving trip in Australia. Her body was found on the ocean floor.

In move that outraged the victim's family, David Gabriel Watson will serve just one year of the four-and-a-half-year sentence in the death of his wife of 11 days, Christina Mae Watson. She died in 2003 as the couple dove off the tropical coast of Queensland. The suspended sentence is not unusual in such crimes in Queensland.

Watson, of Birmingham, Alabama, was to stand trial in the Queensland Supreme Court for murder, which carried a potential sentence of life in prison, until the prosecution accepted the guilty plea to the lesser charge.

Prosecutor Brendan Campbell told the court the manslaughter plea was accepted on the basis that the 32-year-old Watson — trained to rescue panicked divers — failed in his duty as her dive buddy by not giving her emergency oxygen.

Campbell said Watson allowed his wife to sink to the ocean floor without attempting to retrieve her, and he did not inflate her buoyancy vest or remove weights from her belt.

"He virtually extinguished any chance of her survival," Campbell said.

Outside court, Christina's father, Tommy Thomas, said his family was in disbelief over the sentence.

"I'm sure that the entire Australian nation as well as our country back home shares in the shock at what we've just seen, because it's a total injustice ... it's ludicrous," Thomas said. "It's an embarrassment to everyone involved. We believe that Gabe Watson murdered our daughter."

Watson married Christina in a ceremony described by her friends as her dream wedding in Birmingham on Oct. 11, 2003.

Eleven days later, a dive instructor found her lying on the bottom of the ocean during a weeklong Great Barrier Reef scuba diving trip off the coast of Townsville city. Watson told police her death was an accident.

Coroner David Glasgow formally charged Watson with murder last June. Glasgow said it was likely Watson killed his wife by holding her underwater and turning off her air supply. The coroner said a possible motive was her modest life insurance policy.

Watson turned himself in last month to answer the murder charge in the northeastern city of Brisbane.

An experienced diver who has since remarried, Watson had said in videotaped police interviews that 26-year-old Christina, a novice diver, started having trouble a few minutes into their dive.

He said he decided to go for help rather than attempt a rescue himself. One of the dive leaders pulled the woman to the surface, but efforts to resuscitate her failed.

A fellow diver told Glasgow's inquest last year he saw Watson engaged in an underwater "bear hug" with his petite wife, after which he headed to the surface while she sank to the ocean floor.

Watson told police his wife knocked his mask off and then sank too quickly for him to retrieve her. But the prosecution rejected his explanation, saying it would not have been possible for her to sink rapidly.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, one year.  The legal system is just as broken here . . .
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Wheres the backstory where it says he planned it for months?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#4]
He's remarried?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He was tried in Australia.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Wait I'm confused. Did he "kill" her by pressuring her into diving and then she had an accident or by drowning her purposefully? This article is full of irrelevant information and just poorly writen
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Glasgow said it was likely Watsonkilled his wife by holding her underwater and turning off her airsupply. The coroner said a possible motive was her modest lifeinsurance policy.

Unfortunately while that may be true, unless someone actually saw THAT happen, or the guy confessed, how are they going to prove it. I had the same reaction when I first saw this story, but what proof is there that the guy killed her other than that he should have been able to rescue her?

Witness said he was in a bearhug with her, then left her to drop.

And there was several significant lies proven in the several stories he gave to authorities.

He told police the reason they got separated from their dive group was because he had to go back to the boat to change batteries on his dive meter. The dive meter was analyzed and it recorded NO change of batteries had occurred.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wait I'm confused. Did he "kill" her by pressuring her into diving and then she had an accident or by drowning her purposefully? This article is full of irrelevant information and just poorly writen

IIRC, he turned off her air from behind, and held her down.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

He made her get a life-insurance policy naming him beneficiary BEFORE they were even married. Her family wisely talked her out of it (though fatass didn't know that when he killed her).

According to her dive instructor - she did NOT want to learn diving, and was deathly afraid of diving - but was pressured by her fat soon-to-be-killer.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Glasgow said it was likely Watsonkilled his wife by holding her underwater and turning off her airsupply. The coroner said a possible motive was her modest lifeinsurance policy.

Unfortunately while that may be true, unless someone actually saw THAT happen, or the guy confessed, how are they going to prove it. I had the same reaction when I first saw this story, but what proof is there that the guy killed her other than that he should have been able to rescue her?

Witness said he was in a bearhug with her, then left her to drop.

And there was several significant lies proven in the several stories he gave to authorities.

He told police the reason they got separated from their dive group was because he had to go back to the boat to change batteries on his dive meter. The dive meter was analyzed and it recorded NO change of batteries had occurred.

Sounds like he turned off her regulator and then squeezed all of the air out of her BCD me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Pretty much impossible to turn off your own air from behind by accident.

Very easily of you're held in a bear hug by a guy twice your size.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if his current wife has a life insurance policy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. Pretty much impossible to turn off your own air from behind by accident.

Very easily of you're held in a bear hug by a guy twice your size.

Turning off your own air is easy to do, not that anyone would do that on purpose without breathing from another regulator first.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He created the means (pressuring her to scuba dive)

He created the motive (made her get a life-insurance policy)

He created the opportunity (lied about why they were separated from the rest of the dive group)

And there was a witness.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Yea, depending on the story you read she may or may not have been afraid of diving.  I do remember that I read an article (I think on al.com) about how he had shortly before the wedding convinced her to increase her life insurance policy and make him the sole beneficiary.  Additionally he made several inquiries concerning dive related insurance coverage immediately before the trip.  And, he tried to sue the travel agency for all his expenses over the trip in addition to punitive damages.  If I remember correctly, local law enforcement and the coroner’s office didn't believe his story . . . too many conflicting statements.  Basically he's a fuckstain piece of shit that I think has dodged his way out of a 1st degree murder conviction.

E-95
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#20]
One year served means he's vulnerable to retribution that much sooner.

I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yea, depending on the story you read she may or may not have been afraid of diving. I do remember that I read an article (I think on al.com) about how he had shortly before the wedding convinced her to increase her life insurance policy and make him the sole beneficiary. Additionally he made several inquiries concerning dive related insurance coverage immediately before the trip. And, he tried to sue the travel agency for all his expenses over the trip in addition to punative damages. If I remember correctly, local law enforcement and the corroners office didn't believe his story . . . to many conflicting statements. Basically he's a fuckstain piece of shit that I think has dodged his way out of a 1st degree murder conviction.

E-95

If Bama is correct, he won't be dodging shit for long

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:05:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I could think of some fun ways to play in the water with that fat smug fuck
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ex Girlfriends father was just convicted in the 1976 bbeating / strangulation murder of his wife (ex's mother) and concealing the corpse for three decades. Hr got three years. Wisconsin court.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:15:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I could think of some fun ways to play in the water with that fat smug fuck

I can too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ex Girlfriends father was just convicted in the 1976 bbeating / strangulation murder of his wife (ex's mother) and concealing the corpse for three decades. Hr got three years. Wisconsin court.

W T F????????????
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#28]
How'd that fucking goober get a cute girl like that?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#29]
The fact that he killed her using a method that she was so terrified of to begin with makes the whole thing even more fucked up.

I don't see how the male members of her family can let this go...I surely wouldn't.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

W T F????????????

Yup, it was truly fucked up.

http://www.wisn.com/news/15339966/detail.html
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#31]
his so called "rescue diver" training flys in the face of all those who are rescue diver certified (such as myself)

"go for help" (~)  what kind of crap is that?  best person to help is the one that is right there. (I'd like to know how deep this was out of curriosity)

always dive with a buddy.. you don't leave a buddy behind

always check your gear before you get in the water (low power in his computer my ass)

masked knocked off - please.. basic OW divers are checked out on dealing with that.

out of air situation is also something taught to basic OW students
sounds to me, just based upon what he did/didn't do that he let her (caused her to) die.  so much for "love".

heck, I don't know of any diver I've met that wouldn't do everything they could to help someone underwater who needed it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How'd that fucking goober get a cute girl like that?

Thats what Id like to know.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#33]
two sides to every story, and you are only reading one side of it.  He was an asshat, but I dont think he planned it.  I met a EMT who freaked out at a accident site, when he saw one of the injured was his sister.  He completely lost all his 8 year training and became an idiot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#34]
As a father of a beautiful daughter...  

I'd be waiting for this mother fucker on his release date.  The cops would find him dead in his bathtub where he presumable slipped, hit his head, and drowned in three inches of bath water.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

his so called "rescue diver" training flys in the face of all those who are rescue diver certified (such as myself)

"go for help" (~) what kind of crap is that? best person to help is the one that is right there. (I'd like to know how deep this was out of curriosity)

always check your gear before you get in the water (low power in his computer my ass)

masked knocked off - please.. basic OW divers are checked out on dealing with that.

sounds to me, just based upon what he did/didn't do that he let her (caused her to) die. so much for "love".

heck, I don't know of any diver I've met that wouldn't do everything they could to help someone underwater who needed it.

Fuckin A

I know 2 divers who risked their own life by trying to catch up to their dive buddy who was ascending like an arrow to the surface to try and slow em down
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly my point.  It's not like criminals aren't coddled here in the U.S.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, depending on the story you read she may or may not have been afraid of diving. I do remember that I read an article (I think on al.com) about how he had shortly before the wedding convinced her to increase her life insurance policy and make him the sole beneficiary. Additionally he made several inquiries concerning dive related insurance coverage immediately before the trip. And, he tried to sue the travel agency for all his expenses over the trip in addition to punative damages. If I remember correctly, local law enforcement and the corroners office didn't believe his story . . . to many conflicting statements. Basically he's a fuckstain piece of shit that I think has dodged his way out of a 1st degree murder conviction.

E-95

If Bama is correct, he won't be dodging shit for long

The Attorney General wants him bad.

Enough to go for a death sentence or at least life in prison?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]
D*mn, just d*mn.    May she RIP and may he rot in hell.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#40]
That is so sad. She looks very happy in that picture. He on the other hand looks like a fkn criminal. If he is guilty I hope he rots in hell and has a bad trip getting there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He made her get a life-insurance policy naming him beneficiary BEFORE they were even married. Her family wisely talked her out of it (though fatass didn't know that when he killed her).

OMG BBQ.

I put my wife on my life insurance as a beneficiary BEFORE we were married.  

Pretty sure that's not evidence of murder.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to her dive instructor - she did NOT want to learn diving, and was deathly afraid of diving - but was pressured by her fat soon-to-be-killer.

Then she shouldn't have gone.  She's an adult.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I went scuba diving on my honeymoon.

I didn't have any prior training until right before the dive.  I was scared, but wanted to "get the most out of the deal."  

We had a quick training in the pool.  Then we went down.  I could NOT control my bouyancy.  I was sinking and hitting the sea floor, then rising separately above the rest of the group.  I cut my leg against coral.  Started to panic then calmed myself down.

I'm a pretty calm guy.  Imagine a freaked out, spastic girl.

Simply no proof this guy did it.  I'm not saying he didn't.  Just saying no jury would ever be able to convict him.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#45]
One of the worst ways to die is by drowning...crap, that picture is going to give me nightmares.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:33:46 PM EDT
[#46]
That is a very attractive woman, whom he apparently was able to impress enough for her to marry him...and he threw that away for a bit of insurance money?

I guess some people are just scum.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Here being AUSTRALIA

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG BBQ.

I put my wife on my life insurance as a beneficiary BEFORE we were married.  

Pretty sure that's not evidence of murder.

Evidence, no.

But certainly a motive. A common one at that.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

"go for help" (~)  what kind of crap is that?  best person to help is the one that is right there. (I'd like to know how deep this was out of curriosity)

sounds to me, just based upon what he did/didn't do that he let her (caused her to) die.  so much for "love".

quite fucking true.
i am open water certified, and every diver knows that your buddy is your lifeline if something should go wrong.
you should always be within arms reach of them, as if your air goes tits up, you need ot get to them before you can breathe again!
this guy deserves far more than a year.
hopefully he will have an accident while on his next dive...
im glad that karma got him and he did not get to collect on that insurance pollicy
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I've followed it since it happened. I'm a fan of diving and always wanted to dive at the Great Barrier Reef.

If you look at all the evidence and review the statements given that day and how Gabe acted ... there's NO doubt he's guilty.

http://tinasstory.googlepages.com/

And this is the transcript of the episode of Dateline NBC:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24713499/

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top