Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/1/2009 3:11:25 AM EDT
Would a Jeep Wrangler make a good daily driver?

Probably will not be any 4x4ing in the near future.

Just wondering if they're pigs on the highway, handle like a 72 Powerwagon with a plow, etc.

Other option is an F150.

Going back to school next year, and don't trust my F250 diesel to be break-down free.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:15:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the straight 6. Was pretty quick but sucked the gas. Around 15 MPG.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had the straight 6. Was pretty quick but sucked the gas. Around 15 MPG.

Was looking now, and all they offer is the V6.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:18:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If you like a horrible ride, shitty highway handling, and poor mileage, then they're right up your alley.

If you're looking for trail vehicle, the Jeep is great.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, they drive well. However, they are not car quiet and car smooth. The F150 is far more comfortable and capable AND will return better overall fuel economy if you choose engine/trans wisely. If you go for the biggest F150 engine, you will get 14.5.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:23:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you like a horrible ride, shitty highway handling, and poor mileage, then they're right up your alley.

Kinda what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This

I'll get slammed for this but.....

For highway driving the Jeep Liberty (08+)is a far better driver
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, they drive well. However, they are not car quiet and car smooth. The F150 is far more comfortable and capable AND will return better overall fuel economy if you choose engine/trans wisely. If you go for the biggest F150 engine, you will get 14.5.

I really like my 2007 F250 diesel, and will get another one eventually. Or maybe another manuf.

Good info about the F150 engine - thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For highway driving the Jeep Liberty (08+)is a far better driver

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:27:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I am a serial Jeep Driver, I have driven them since I was in high school.  I have had other SUVs but keep going back to Jeeps.

There are better rides out there, but like saying goes it is a Jeep thing, if I have to explain it you wouldn't get it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I sure you're right, but I don't give a damn.  I've wanted one since I was about twelve and I'm gonna have one before I die if it harelips the Pope.

Jane

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And any/every thing in the vehicle will eventually get rained on, pawed through by 'inquisitive fucks with no sense of personal boundaries' or stolen.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:35:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Just go get one,you'll be happy .
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:35:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sure you're right, but I don't give a damn.  I've wanted one since I was about twelve and I'm gonna have one before I die if it harelips the Pope.

Jane

HAHA!

I've owned a Land Cruiser - the old style - IIRC FJ40, and F250s - the bumpy ride isn't a problem.

But I just want to know what I'm getting into.

And that poor Pope.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:36:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And any/every thing in the vehicle will eventually get rained on, pawed through by 'inquisitive fucks with no sense of personal boundaries' or stolen.

Wondering about that.

I'll get the Hard Top - but the rain issue...?

As above, I had a Land Cruiser while in FL, and did take the top and sides off.

First few times it didn't leak - but then started to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:37:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The new JK makes a great daily driver. It can break 20 mpg. The ride is a lot better than any older jeeps as far as the road goes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats was a real factor that made me re think getting a Wrangler
I was parking downtown a lot and knew it would be screwed with.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:51:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I went through the same decision a few years ago. I purchased a jeep wrangler for a daily commute of about 40 miles each way. I had always wanted one, and finally bought one and had the jeep experience. I have to say that absolutely loved the jeep, but it is completely impractical for almost anything except going to the beach or going offroad...but I loved it.

The gas mileage is horrible. It is loud on the interstate. It has almost no storage space. It is not secure. However, I absolutely loved it. I had to sell it as a result of a divorce, but would have kept it indefinitly if I could have afforded to.

The funny thing is now I have been issued a jeep liberty to drive at work. I never thought I would it, but it pretty much has the same feel as the wrangler, but is a little more pratical...we will see how it does.

Hope this helps...

GD
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:53:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hope this helps...

GD

Yep, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:53:55 AM EDT
[#19]
As someone who currently daily drives an 08' Wrangler.. I like it. Not sure if it matters but my last vehicle was a 350z.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

and if that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:57:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just wondering if they're pigs on the highway, handle like a 72 Powerwagon with a plow, etc.

Other option is an F150.

Going back to school next year, and don't trust my F250 diesel to be break-down free.

Thanks.

Mine was a DD but it only took a year to go from stock 30's to 35's....and it is no longer a good DD.  But I only drive it 1.6 miles a day.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:57:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Dub Tap
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:04:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

and if that ain't country, I'll kiss your ass.
'fess up.  You'd do that anyway.    

I'd look at the Liberty again, if they made it an honest diesel like they were opting for.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Incorrect

Quoted:

The new JK makes a great daily driver. It can break 20 mpg. The ride is a lot better than any older jeeps as far as the road goes.

This.

I have driven my JK from Dallas to Miami three times since I bought in July 08.  I still have my kidneys.  The longer wheel base unlimited is even smoother and has enough volume for a week of camping/hunting.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I drive a 2000 TJ with the straight six. I get about 15-16 mpg. The ride is not bad but I run a soft top so it can get a little noisey.

My biggest complaint, especially with the soft top, is lack of security. I can't and don't leave anything of value inside.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:34:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I love my 98 TJ, I hope to keep it for years. I've driven it on many 8hr trips to TN.

I don't consider it a good daily driver though. Too high maintenance.

Why don't you keep the F250, and get a good compact beater like a Corolla to compliment it. A fuel efficient compact is much better for tight parking lots and if it gets dinged up by other cars, who cares.

What are you going back to school for? Your kind of an old Fart for that aren't you?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Been driving a Wrangler since 1999, liked it so much I have two now.  Just bought a new 4 door version.  Had one before the '99 too.   My other car is a Land Rover if i want a smooth ride.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:44:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I have an 08 Wrangler unlimited and it does very well as a daily driver. Have even taken it on several log trips and averaged 23 mpg with it. It handles well for a suv and is well manered enough. I also have an 01 wrangler sport that I use for trails and as a utility vehicle, it averages 17 to 20 mpg depending on how I drive it. Both are fairly quiet and you can hold a conversation goin highway speeds with no problems. People who by these types of vehicles and expect them to ride like a cadilac and handle like a sports car need to reevaluate their neeeds and expectations.

If it is what you want then go for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I drive a 2000 TJ with the straight six. I get about 15-16 mpg. The ride is not bad but I run a soft top so it can get a little noisey.

My biggest complaint, especially with the soft top, is lack of security. I can't and don't leave anything of value inside.

That's a problem.  If When I finally get a Jeep, I'm going to take the rear seat out and have someone fabricate a box out of diamond plate to fill in the entire area behind the front seats with an open side toward the tailgate.  At least I think that's what I want to do if no one convinces me otherwise.

Jane

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:50:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a problem.  If When I finally get a Jeep, I'm going to take the rear seat out and have someone fabricate a box out of diamond plate to fill in the entire area behind the front seats with an open side toward the tailgate.  At least I think that's what I want to do if no one convinces me otherwise.

Jane

Hard tops are way more secure.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Or just get a Tuffy box.  Several other styles if this one doesn't do it for you.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:52:14 AM EDT
[#34]
My 01 was my DD for ten years. Not great for road trips. Around town and short interstate hops around Denver and to the mountains it was great. Still have it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:00:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Get one and enjoy it. You only live once.

I'm with Jane. I wanted a Jeep since I was a little kid. I waited until I was in my mid 30's to get one.

Driven it every day for the last 6 years.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:06:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I own a 91 YJ w 230k miles and still starts up every time.  It is my 2nd Jeep.  The first one I sold 15 years ago and can honestly say it was the only vehicle I wish I ever kept.  About 6 years ago I ran across this one and had to have it.  Used it as a daily driver for about 3 years.  But when I felt that the mileage issue was going to cause a breakdown I bought a new car, but I kept my jeep for a winter backup.  I come across people all the time that tell me stories of their first jeep and how they wish they still had it.  It is a lifestyle!!!

Security concerns –– get a hardtop –– this will also quiet the jeep considerably

Mileage real world ––15 - 18 mpg

Ride –– no it doesn't ride like a car. It's a JEEP.  The TJ and JK coilover susp ride better than the older YJ and CJ leaf spring.

Capacity –– Yes these are not large suv's.  However my sister used to have a cherokee sport and when she upgraded she got a jk unlimited because it had more room (for her 100lb dog) than the liberty.

My "family" of jeeps
Mine - 91 YJ
Mothers - 04 Liberty
Stepdad - 05 TJ
Sisters - 07 JK unlimited
Friend and his wife - 04 TJ and 05 Liberty
Also M715 project truck
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:09:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I use an '88 Wrangler as a daily driver.  It's got 1800000 miles on it and going strong(after a weber carburetor upgrade, of course).
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why don't you keep the F250, and get a good compact beater like a Corolla to compliment it. A fuel efficient compact is much better for tight parking lots and if it gets dinged up by other cars, who cares.

What are you going back to school for? Your kind of an old Fart for that aren't you?

I may be an old fart, but I still smell like a rose.

HA!

Going to apply to the local Physician Ass't Program.

I'm bored out of freaking mind at work, and I really miss the medical field and the quality of people in it.

Courtesy of the mil, I am a highly trained bedpan commando.

Spoke with the local PA Program, and they consider me a "very, very competitive candidate."

So I'm gonna run with it.

So far, it appears there are no - or very little - funds available to me for education.  GI is used up, I get a mil retirement, and I made a fair amount of money the last 2 years.  So I'm gonna have to foot the entire bill...I guess.

Coupla reasons for not wanting to keep the diesel:

1. Biggest:  It has left me on the side the road twice.  Not sure I trust it, and I will not have any time for monkey business if I get into the program.

2.  I get all the scheduled maint done, and that will be expensive while going to school.

3.  Parking - thing is kinda big for parking garages - which is where I'll have to park.

Where's my Geritol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:10:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I own a 2009 Wrangler (JK series),  The mileage is 15 city, 19 highway.  I use it as a daily driver for my job which is about 8 miles away.  I guess it all depends on what you can afford for vehicle and gas payments.

ETA:  If you don't have kids or take people with you alot it's better to take the back seat out and have the extra space.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm with Jane. I wanted a Jeep since I was a little kid. I waited until I was in my mid 30's to get one.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/txmhinton/Front.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/txmhinton/Dash1.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/txmhinton/Back.jpg

Now that is one hell of an off-road rig.  One day I hope my CJ7 looks like that.  CJ's FTMFW.

Tell us more about it?

LC
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:11:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use an '88 Wrangler as a daily driver.  It's got 1800000 miles on it and going strong(after a weber carburetor upgrade, of course).

HA!

Got it before you edited it.

Then again, maybe that's true.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:16:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why buy a 4x4 if you're never going to off-road the thing or drive it through un-plowed snow?

You're paying higher purchase price, higher maintenance, and higher insurance for 4WD.

I like...

1.  trucks because you sit up higher and can see traffic better - been driving them for a long time.

2.  vans because all of your stuff is inside.

3.  4x4:  they may not accept me, and if I do get in, the flunk out rate is around 40%.  I really miss going 4 wheeling, and will again after the school.  This way I'm just buying one vehicle.

As many times as I've said "fuck Toyota" around here, I'm staring to consider them.

I've owned 2 4x4 PUs, 1 Land cruiser, 1 Corolla sedan, 1 Corolla wagon (circa 1980) - and they were fine vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/txmhinton/Front.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/txmhinton/Dash1.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq151/txmhinton/Back.jpg

Very nice!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Other option is an F150.

Thanks.

I have a 98 TJ (2.5/4) with a hard-top, 122k miles.  The only thing I've put into has been wiper blades, tires, plugs/wires... plus the annual brake fluid change i do to all my vehicles.

The hard-top makes for a more practical option when you want more security or a quieter highway ride.  Most of the summer I put on the bikini top (half of a soft-top).

I get between 18-20 MPG per tank and I'm not gentle with the pedal.

They do have the aerodynamics of an upright brick... but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Heck, some days I choose it over the Porsche.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They do have the aerodynamics of an upright brick...

That's about what I figured.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#48]
The JK is a nice ride.
I have an 08, and like it much better on the long drives than I did my 97 TJ.

I use it as my daily driver, as well as anything else I need it for:
(just got it ready to take care of my parking lot this winter)

The gas milage isn't really that great, but I don't think that what most Jeep owners are looking for when they choose to drive one.
From the showroom I got about 15 mpg around town, and about 18 on the hghway. After I put on the 35s the milage dropped to about 11 aroound town, and 15 on the highway.
I'll live with it....
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I own an '08 Unlimited Rubicon and a '94 Wrangler. The JK is great on the highway... much smoother than you'd expect from a Jeep. The mileage isn't bad, but I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. I find it to be pretty practical vehicle for my needs, and that includes a move or two since I bought it. Plenty of storage space for camping gear, coolers, whatever. I love the shit out of my JK. The YJ? Well... let's just say it's fun to ride around and watch the GF's twins jiggle...

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Plenty of storage space for camping gear, coolers, whatever.

I would remove the back seat.

About how much room would that give?

I also hike, camp, shoot, etc.

Although with my plans, camping would disappear for a while, and shooting would scale back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top