Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2009 2:47:42 AM EDT
Anybody watch the practice or qualifying?  Jesus fucking Christ...  That track is decked out!

Ferrari World.  A massive indoor theme park.

The Yas Hotel, overlooking the track.

And of course, some of the biggest yachts in the world sitting right alongside the track...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I watched some of that.  Hey, they gotta spend our money on something.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome facility, but watching McLaren beat out Ferrari for P3 in the Constructors Championship will make the Baby Jesus cry.

This has been a horrible season for F1, even worse than last year.  I can't wait for 2010.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm iterested to see how this track works out for F1.  I'd think that big 3/4's of a mile straight will be good for passing.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Awesome facility, but watching McLaren beat out Ferrari for P3 in the Constructors Championship will make the Baby Jesus cry.

This has been a horrible season for F1, even worse than last year.  I can't wait for 2010.

I'll miss half of next season due to Marine Corps training..  Which sucks because i'm more excited about next season than I've been for F1 in a LOOONG time.  Preseason testing won't start till after I leave anyways thanks to the bullshit rules.

You never know, Hamilton could pull a stupid and go off entering the pits again like 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
When I lived there I'd see wrecked Ferraris and Lambos on the side of the highway all of the time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I lived there I'd see wrecked Ferraris and Lambos on the side of the highway all of the time.

Being rich doesn't make you a good driver.  Neither does having rich parents.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
All built with money out of our pockets.

Makes my blood boil. If we developed our own oil resources, the riches displayed in those CGI pics would be spent here.

We are buying their bling for them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
It'll be interesting to see what they do if a car catches fire in the tunnel exiting the pits or under the grandstands in the runoff area.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Makes my blood boil. If we developed our own oil resources, the riches displayed in those CGI pics would be spent here.

And they spend it 10x smarter than our government would.  Instead of pissing it away on the lower class they build things that create jobs and will generate gobs of revenue.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a mighty phallic hotel!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:09:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm iterested to see how this track works out for F1.  I'd think that big 3/4's of a mile straight will be good for passing.

Further back in the pack, the long straights will be nice, but the McLaren with the KERS is going to be tough to pass.

But like you said, Hamilton could always stuff it on the parking garage pit exit.  I'm convinced someone will.

I'm just bummed that Button probably won't get stuck behind Kobayashi again.  His whining was the second best part of Brazil (first best part being Trulli making an ass out of himself over his accident with Sutil).
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Further back in the pack, the long straights will be nice, but the McLaren with the KERS is going to be tough to pass.

But like you said, Hamilton could always stuff it on the parking garage pit exit.  I'm convinced someone will.

I'm just bummed that Button probably won't get stuck behind Kobayashi again.  His whining was the second best part of Brazil (first best part being Trulli making an ass out of himself over his accident with Sutil).

If 3rd place in the Constructors Championship wasn't up for grabs I'd almost rather see Button stuff it in the wall and Hamilton take the inaugural win there than Button.  God willing neither one will, though.  Maybe Kimi will pull one out of his ass somehow and win it before he leaves next year for rally racing.  That is if he starts putting fast laps up before the race is 80% over like usual...

Yea Hamilton won't be passed unless he's in the pits.  Unless Vettel can get the jump on him off the line(which isn't going to happen with KERS).  Hopefully this track will at least bring some action from back in the pack, though.  That long straight is nice because you can really tuck in there without worrying about losing down force since... well... it's a straight line...  Since the FIA still can't figure out how to reduce the affect of drafting on downforce and control...

Not that I want the FIA making any more fucking rules anyways...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:17:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Middle Eastern infidels.  Did you ever wonder about the double standard?  You can bet there are some hot females decorating various parts of that complex; hot according to Western notions.

Meh, Abu Dhabi is a different beast than places like Iran.  They do serve a non-alcoholic drink instead of champagne on the podium though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It'll be interesting to see what they do if a car catches fire in the tunnel exiting the pits or under the grandstands in the runoff area.

Spray water on it.

ETA: Actually, probably foam but all the same.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spray water on it.

Foam, but if there isn't decent air movement through that long tunnel it will at least be filled with smoke for a substantial amount of time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:23:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Middle Eastern infidels.  Did you ever wonder about the double standard?  You can bet there are some hot females decorating various parts of that complex; hot according to Western notions.

Dude. I've been all over the world. The hottest women in the world are in Dubai and Abu Dhabi; imports and domestic. The UAE is where the rest of the Arab world goes to play.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:27:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spray water on it.

Foam, but if there isn't decent air movement through that long tunnel it will at least be filled with smoke for a substantial amount of time.

Maybe they have some sort of ventilation system built in.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:33:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Theres alot of money in that sport, especially overseas
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they spend it 10x smarter than our government would.  Instead of pissing it away on the lower class they build things that create jobs and will generate gobs of revenue.

Meh...

Abu Dhabi/Dubai have such a massive overcapacity/glut of buildings built during the oil/property bubble that the hulking skeletons of unfinished towers will be there for decades.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Towely, kindly refrain from TTLNIV in the future.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:16:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Dubai is an oppressive virtual-slave-state built on a foundation of worldwide human trafficking.
It uses exploited-labor imported from Africa and Asia as well as children as slaves in their camel-racing "sports".
It also is extremely oppressive to women, they have no rights there (similar to most of the Arab world).

Remember back in the '80s when there was a huge pop-hollywood movement to protest South Africa because of apartheid? Remember those idiots like Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Little Steven and a whole bunch of "stars" singing "I... I....I.... ain't gonna play Sun City"?

So where is Hollywood now? Where are massive Liberal-World protests against Dubai by Hollywood?
"I... I... I.... aint' gonna play Dubai"

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Your gas dollars at work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Culturally speaking that region of the world is still in mental adolescence.

What do you think would happen if you gave a bunch of 8 year olds 100 billion dollars to spend any way they wanted?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What do you think would happen if you gave a bunch of 8 year olds 100 billion dollars to spend any way they wanted?

That's because they didn't have to work for any of the money.... They just pumped their economy right out of the right out of the ground and spent all their money on the national equivalent of "Ferrari Cakes" and Ice sculptures.

Dubai's super-bubble was like watching "My Super Sweet Sixteen" on a national level. "DADDY, I want an Island shaped like a palm tree and the tallest tower in the world!"

Of course, the punchbowl is empty and Dubai is pretty much bankrupt now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's because they didn't have to work for any of the money.... They just pumped their economy right out of the right out of the ground and spent all their money on the national equivalent of "Ferrari Cakes" and Ice sculptures.

Dubai's super-bubble was like watching "My Super Sweet Sixteen" on a national level. "DADDY, I want an Island shaped like a palm tree and the tallest tower in the world!"

How do you figure?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you figure?

Yah, wtf? Dubai is far from bankrupt right now

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure?

Dubai World has $80 in debt it can't pay off.
Property values have more than halved in the last year.
The airports of Dubai are littered with the abandoned cars of thousands who just up a left.
All of the national builders are teetering on bankruptcy.
The other oil-rich Emirate (Abu Dhabii) keeps having to bailout Dubai to the tune of tens of Billions of dollars.
A huge percentage of the projects under construction are already underwater before being built and are being cancelled left are right..
etc, etc..

It's not new news...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure?

Yah, wtf? Dubai is far from bankrupt right now

Have you been reading any of the recent news from Dubai?

Take an extra concentration of Forida, California, and 80s Japan, and sprinkle it with a oil bubble and that's about how redicuous Dubai was at it's height.... now it's coming all down.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Great track!
KERS is out for 2010 I believe...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#32]
neat track, though i thought thered be a huge shake up after the season is over from teams leaving

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Towely, kindly refrain from TTLNIV in the future.  Thanks.

Sorry but I don't hold the same morals as you do apparently.  I don't see it as the end of the world.

edit:  not trying to be a smartass so I'm sorry if that came off dickheadedish, but when you're on the internet you can't expect everyone else to follow the same rules as you.  I'll try and keep it in mind but it is part of my regular vocabulary so it'll happen again.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
neat track, though i thought thered be a huge shake up after the season is over from teams leaving

Actually, with all the new teams getting in, they have one too many teams trying to get in as is and they are going to have to decide if they want to expand the grid 2 more cars by letting a 14th team in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#35]
how does places like that not be a terrorist target...payoffs/protection money?

makes you wonder...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you figure?

The airports of Dubai are littered with the abandoned cars of thousands who just up a left.

The other oil-rich Emirate (Abu Dhabii) keeps having to bailout Dubai to the tune of tens of Billions of dollars.

A huge percentage of the projects under construction are already underwater before being built and are being cancelled left are right..

etc, etc..
It's not new news...

here's a sad sad F40 in Dubai abandoned...

http://blog.newsok.com/thebusiness/2009/02/25/more-proof-of-global-nature-of-recession/

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#37]
That's badass!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure?

etc, etc..

It's not new news...

http://blog.newsok.com/thebusiness/2009/02/25/more-proof-of-global-nature-of-recession/

http://blog.newsok.com/thebusiness/files/2009/02/ferrari.jpg

It's a shame Ferrari can't come in, take those, fix them up in their restoration wing, and resell them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've seen more Lambo's and Ferrari's in Miami than I ever have seen in all of Italy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
how does places like that not be a terrorist target...payoffs/protection money?

makes you wonder...

Partially that, partially the fact that the Emiratis take security VERY seriously. Two of my closest local friends I had there were in the security services. I was never exactly sure what they did if you get my drift, but they had been trained at Ft. Bragg and always had weapons in their SUV's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, I don't agree with 2009 being a horrible season. BrawnGP, out of nowhere, (ex Honda GP) challenges the old guard with Red Bull. Force India gets second at the European GP. McLaren starts the season like it's 2004 again. (With the MP4-19)

I love that the 'Old Guard' were unable to match Brawn/Red Bull, and I hope USF1 kicks ass in 2010. Having Alonso in a Ferrari for 2010; I have great hopes for next year as well.

m
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#42]
... yeah but Vettel won!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Anybody watch the practice or qualifying?  Jesus fucking Christ...  That track is decked out!

Ferrari World.  A massive indoor theme park.
http://www.ameinfo.com/images/news/large/4/79704-Ferrari_World_Abu_Dhabi.jpg

The Yas Hotel, overlooking the track.
http://i38.tinypic.com/2v10oeg.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/xlbgr9.jpg

And of course, some of the biggest yachts in the world sitting right alongside the track...

That's were some of that $150/ barrel oil money went.  It is almost enough to make you go out and buy a Prius.
Boring race though, the only good pass was by Kobayashi going around Button.  (I think it was Button)
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#44]
I was supposed to go but I left Dubai 3 weeks early
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I don't agree with 2009 being a horrible season. BrawnGP, out of nowhere, (ex Honda GP) challenges the old guard with Red Bull. Force India gets second at the European GP. McLaren starts the season like it's 2004 again. (With the MP4-19)

I love that the 'Old Guard' were unable to match Brawn/Red Bull, and I hope USF1 kicks ass in 2010. Having Alonso in a Ferrari for 2010; I have great hopes for next year as well.

m

Brawn's domination wasn't exactly 'out of nowhere'.  They ran a trick diffuser.  Although I have to give Ross Brawn credit for that, he played the FIA perfectly - he knew that the FIA wasn't going to boot Brawn from the grid because F1 was short of teams, so he basically strong-armed them.

I do have to point out that characterizing Brawn as being outside of the 'Old Guard' is a but off - he's won seven championships since 1994.

Even Red Bull had Adrian Newey, another guy with some pedigree.

The main thing I hate about this season is the way Button backed into the WDC.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure?

etc, etc..

It's not new news...

I would have adopted that car if I had found it

google the Dark Side of Dubai. That place is really fucked up. It wasn't obvious when I first got there but it became blatant during my 7 months visit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#47]
As I understand it,  expensive cars that are abandoned/unattended in Dubai,  Saudi Arabia, etc. are generally very safe.  Nobody's going to dare

touch them without authorization in a country that routinely chops hands off of petty thieves.

I've heard that when one of these rich kids is driving and the car breaks down, they just leave it there and buy another one.

It might be possible for someone who has talent at schmoozing rich kids to make out very well by getting the guy to sign over the title to

the cars and then dispose of the junk for him.

CJ

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

Brawn's domination wasn't exactly 'out of nowhere'.  They ran a trick diffuser.  Although I have to give Ross Brawn credit for that, he played the FIA perfectly - he knew that the FIA wasn't going to boot Brawn from the grid because F1 was short of teams, so he basically strong-armed them.

I do have to point out that characterizing Brawn as being outside of the 'Old Guard' is a but off - he's won seven championships since 1994.

OK, you do make some points... and yes, Brawn has won seven world championships, but he did it this year without the financial muscle of Ferrari/Fiat. You have to respect that somewhat. Even Adrian Newey had to be working under budget constraints he's not likely to have had to deal with in over a decade.

Trick diffuser or not, Brawn read the same rule book as the other teams. He took a calculated gamble with the aero design, and he successfully beat the entrenched teams. Would we have had a different outcome if McLaren or Ferrari had chosen this path? We'll likely never know.

Still, you have to give Ross Brawn (and Red Bull to an a certain degree) the credit to pull the team out of the ashes of Honda F1 pulling out and being able to bring the fight to the top teams.

m

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you figure?

etc, etc..

It's not new news...

Who ever did that needs to be shot.. That car is to rare and is arguably one of the finest Ferrari's ever made.

I thought the track looked cool and i liked how they started at day time and ended at night, but i agree that it became a boring race except the last 5 laps.

Next year is going to be interesting because there are no more re-fuels and etc. I hope Ferrari is on top of thier game next season.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

OK, you do make some points... and yes, Brawn has won seven world championships, but he did it this year without the financial muscle of Ferrari/Fiat. You have to respect that somewhat. Even Adrian Newey had to be working under budget constraints he's not likely to have had to deal with in over a decade.

Trick diffuser or not, Brawn read the same rule book as the other teams. He took a calculated gamble with the aero design, and he successfully beat the entrenched teams. Would we have had a different outcome if McLaren or Ferrari had chosen this path? We'll likely never know.

Still, you have to give Ross Brawn (and Red Bull to an a certain degree) the credit to pull the team out of the ashes of Honda F1 pulling out and being able to bring the fight to the top teams.

m

They didn't necessarily pull Honda out of the ashes.  Honda made the right choice to give up last year and focus on '09.  Even Ross Brawn admits that was a huge reason they were able to pull it off this year.  Not to take anything away from it but it was a given that BrawnGP was going to be substantially better than Honda was last year.

The start of the season was exciting, seeing a "new" team do so well, but it was somewhat overshadowed for me with the whole double diffuser controversy.  Not that Brawn broke the rules, per say, but it wasn't very fun watching what amounted to 2 tiers of cars driving for the first few races.  It got really old by race four seeing BrawnGP dominate so much.  Then it got good again when Red Bull started to catch up and Vettel and Barrichello started to put the pressure on Button.

I'd say the inaugural Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was decent.  The battle between Ferrari and McLaren kept it interesting from the get go until it became painfully obvious that Kimi wasn't going to be able to pull it off.  No was was Fisichella going to be able to do it.  Not in that car...  Watching kobayashi give Button some more shit was entertaining and kudo's to him on scoring his first points.

The battle between Button and Webber was also excellent.  I was really glad to see Button still give it his all even though he had the championship locked away.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top