Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2009 9:04:51 PM EDT
In Navy survival school I went three days without eating anything but 15 or so ants and some fried, sandy moss.

That was TEH HARD SUX.

I shudder to think what would happen if we went without food for a couple of weeks - how long have you gone without, and how long do you think you could last?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My mom had severe depression and went about 6 months on nothing but coffee.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#2]
No more than a day. I get REAL unpleasant the hungrier I get. I can usually put off eating if I'm doing something that really interests me, but if I'm bored and hungry, watch out.

I could probably go 2 or 3 days at the absolute maximum without eating and still keep from going crazy. After that, I have no idea what I'd be like.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I only ate once a week for a year or 2...
Didn't kill me.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

i thought 40 days was the limit?

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i thought 40 days was the limit?

I guess not.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Four days with nothing but Pepsi and cigarettes. Also had zero sleep in that period. I was kind of loopy by the end.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Five days. i was dehydrated and well on my way to hallucinationville. No drugs or alcohol involved.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I once skipped breakfast and was very unpleasant to deal with.  I had to take an early lunch before I snapped.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I went 4 days without eating and 2 days on a keg cup of water a day a few months ago when Mono made my tonsils explode. I didn't even think about eating, drinking was what I wanted to do, and I winced after every sip, even on pain meds.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Just 2 days because some genius fucked up the logistics of MRE distribution and we weren't allowed to get any more food by the SERE instructors as punishment.

Our blue falcon team mate had about 4 of them stored in his ruck and my element starve. The SERE instructor found out a day or two afterwards and smoked the shit out of him.

Besides that time I never go more than a day without food. Either I bring enough or I go kill something and eat it.

For the record this was not at SERE school just an event with SERE instructors in charge.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#11]
The crucible.  (sp)

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I go for 10 days once to twice per year.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#13]
i live on chips and salsa

but to not eat is bad i think.

thank God i have food and the capacity/means to get food.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#14]
30 days is about the limit for no food, assuming you have adequate liquids to hydrate with.

I've done 20, just to see if I could.  No problem.  The body shuts off the digestive tract after about 72 hours (my experience), and you don't really feel hungry anymore.  Those first 3 days suck though.

The easiest part of SERE was not eating.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just 2 days because some genius fucked up the logistics of MRE distribution and we weren't allowed to get any more food by the SERE instructors as punishment.

Our blue falcon team mate had about 4 of them stored in his ruck and my element starve. The SERE instructor found out a day or two afterwards and smoked the shit out of him.

Besides that time I never go more than a day without food. Either I bring enough or I go kill something and eat it.

For the record this was not at SERE school just an event with SERE instructors in charge.

I have a friend that did SERE school and said he was surprised what you can find to eat when your hungry enough.  In a month he ate cat, roadkill raccoon, and more slugs than he could count.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I've gone a couple weeks on one MRE a day but that is different. If my survival depends on it I think I can do a lot better than going "by choice" with out food. Since I've gotten out of the Army I've gone soft and everyonce in a while I go a day with out eating but that is only when I'm stressed and too busy all day to think about food. Usually if I don't eat I get real cranky. But like I said, I've gotten soft, mentally weak and lazy in my cushy American civilian college lifestyle.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I just went 3.5 days to make the weigh in. The first day I did have a hamburger for lunch though. It totally sucked ass and I was very hungry at first, but to be honest the hunger pangs weren't too bad towards the end.

BTW, not healthy and I REALLY don't recommend it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I never eat more than once per day.

Some weeks when I get really busy I'll forget to eat for 3-4 days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I just went 3.5 days to make the weigh in. The first day I did have a hamburger for lunch though. It totally sucked ass and I was very hungry at first, but to be honest the hunger pangs weren't too bad towards the end.

Actually it is quite healthy to do.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I shudder to think what would happen if we went without food for a couple of weeks - how long have you gone without, and how long do you think you could last?

I've gone two days and I could last about....two days.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's been my understanding all my life.  There are smart ways to do it –– you need to stay well-hydrated, and I think vitamins are probably a good idea as well, but fasting for a week every now and then has all kinds of health benefits.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#22]
It's a mater of attitude; if you think you're starving, it's not at all pleasant. If you think you're fasting, it's easy.  

To answer your question, I've gone 6 days.  I think I could have gone somewhere around 2 weeks, but I couldn't say for sure without trying it - which probably won't happen, because I think that's a bit longer than is healthy.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I think 6 days.  I didn't sleep either so it is not a clear answer...  May have been 7..  
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's been my understanding all my life.  There are smart ways to do it –– you need to stay well-hydrated, and I think vitamins are probably a good idea as well, but fasting for a week every now and then has all kinds of health benefits.

No kidding? Cool, bonus. Still sucked though

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Eight Days without food.  

Plenty of water though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
For many years, I only ate once a day. Now I am up to twice a day. With that being said, I have gone several (3-4) days without eating. Mainly during stressful times, or road tripping, etc. Wasn't the end of the world.

ETA:

Hydration is really important though. I could go a long time without eating assuming I could keep a drink handy the whole time.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably about 12 hours.  It was rough.

If you count being sick then that is different.  When I had mono my throat was so swollen that I didn't eat for about 3 days.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Four days with nothing but Pepsi and cigarettes. Also had zero sleep in that period. I was kind of loopy by the end.

I take it you are a commercial fisherman?

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding? Cool, bonus. Still sucked though

Oh yeah –– the first 3 days are the worst.  The cravings start about 12 hours in, and don't stop until about the 60-72 hour mark.  Once you get over that hump, though, it's easy from then on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#30]
My last bender two weeks ago this weekend, after dinner on friday I didn't eat again till monday morning. Nothing but whiskey and beer. I'm done for a long long time.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Went two weeks a couple times. After about 3-4 days the hunger pains stop.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Five days. i was dehydrated and well on my way to hallucinationville. No drugs or alcohol involved.

Were you not drinking anything??  5 days without water is almost sure death –– you're very fortunate if that's what you did!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Honestly in 25 years of life I don't think I've ever went a day without food.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#34]
A couple days at most.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#35]
2 days. I sat at home all day on the computer to with plenty of food.

Didn't really feel hungry either.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]

Sadly, only about 20 minutes......

This is also the reason I have never been swimming in my life.....

J/K...In J.E.S.T. (jungle environmental survival training) we went for a few days on only what we could scrounge....needless to say it didnt seem like "food" that we were eating....

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#37]
40 hours no food or water. Felt nearly dead. About four days no food once.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#38]
In the hospital after surgery.  Went 9 days on IV's.  I was so sick that the SMELL of food sent me into dry heaves. Not pleasant at all.

Started on broth and progressed to more complicated stuff like lime jello after three days. It's amazing how nasty that stuff tastes.

Didn't get a full appetite back for about a month.   I STILL hurl the moment I smell microwave popcorn. (Goddamn night shift nurses)

Heck of a weight reduction program, lost 43 lbs before it was all said and done.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#39]
When I had the piggy flu a few weeks ago, I went 8 days without eating.  Lots of fluid, but no solid food.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Four days
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#41]
About 18 hours... I've never intentionally avoided eating.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#42]
72 hours, not sure how much longer I could go if I had to.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#43]
15 days. I was kept zonked out on morphine after major surgery.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I often go until 6 or 7 at night.  Never more than that.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I had really bad double pneumonia when in high school.

I didn't eat for 2 weeks. I drank everything in sight, including cranberry juice by the gallon.

I went from 253 lbs to 198 lbs in that time frame.

It sucked. Big time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]
5 days.

((shrugs))  The pangs start to fade on day 3; jest fyi.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My last bender two weeks ago this weekend, after dinner on friday I didn't eat again till monday morning. Nothing but whiskey and beer. I'm done for a long long time.

No one likes a quiter, get right back at it and be a man!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This, only 3 days though to cut weight. Only liquids, I could have shat through a screen door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top