Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 10/28/2009 4:37:03 PM EDT
Boeing Moving To Charlestom, SC

“This is obviously a very disappointing day for all Washingtonians, particularly the more than 73,000 Boeing workers in our state.  We did all we could to demonstrate that Washington is the best place in America to build airplanes.  State and local government worked hand in hand with our capable Congressional delegation, business and community leaders, educators and countless others to show our collective support for locating the second 787 assembly line here."

“Unfortunately, the active and intense discussions between Boeing and the Machinists union did not result in an agreement acceptable to both sides.  My colleagues in the Congressional delegation and I worked tirelessly to urge an agreement if at all possible; ultimately the two sides could not come together."  

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Unions are awesome!
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The Chinese ain't happy either
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
HUGE blow to liberal Seattle , MS and Boeing really prop that area up. I absolutely love the scenery and food ,and the fisherman culture is great, however the hippies are stupid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Oops.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Three wins in one!  I live in South Carolina, I own a truck-load of Boeing stock, and I hate fucking unions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Updating resume as we speak...
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
You know that The One will intercede and attempt to destroy Boeing.  Planes are icky don't you know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Best State for the job.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Shit like this makes me smile.

Stupid fuckers...
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#10]
SC will lead the way...that is all I need to say.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#11]
good job Union leaders...you fucked yourself again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#12]
SC does A LOT to bring in these companies, hence why  Lockheed Martin and BMW are here already
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Seattle is gonna FEEL this one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
In befor the Unions got us a 40 hour work week blah blah blah.... Congrats SC

Fuck Obama and the Unions
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
If the Unions keep it up all the jobs will be in the Conservative South.

Hip Hip Hooray for Unions!

They've been doing a hell of a job at destroying the liberal states they've sunk their roots into.

Like Michigan where unemployment is the highest in the nation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Boeing, for not sending the whole shebang to China. Congrats SC.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I love unions...its becuase of them striking i got my job
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
SC does A LOT to bring in these companies, hence why  Lockheed Martin and BMW are here already

Tax breaks I'm guessing?

Which, of course, usually nets the state MORE in taxes. Everybody wins.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Where the hell was the Texas delegation on this one? We've got tons of space for a Boeing plant...
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Winchester (or FN) did the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Good, I love to the liberals get shafted.  Unfortunately a lot of good people are going to lose their jobs as well, but the big picture is a lot liberal piece of shit union goons and supporters are going to get fucked, including the local government.  HA fucking HA Seattle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tax breaks I'm guessing?

Exactly
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe you will rue the day?
And eat some hay?
In the month of May?

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Unions...Fuck yeah!

oh wait...

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Are the union apologists here yet?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Obama will hold a press conference tomorrow in the union HQ denouncing this obviously racist decision and state again that fox news is not a real news network.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tax breaks I'm guessing?

Oh no, no, no...tax breaks aren't the real reason it's the difference in Labor Laws. Some states are damn near right to work states, but you don't find that in the south.

Southern states have atmospheres that make it much more pro-business than pro-union.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And eat some hay?
In the month of May?

or maybe go play with some clay?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#29]
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#30]

The Unions and our Governor are absolutely CLUELESS.  

Washington State is in a World of hurt financially. We are trying to outdo California...

Every legislative session is a huge financial boost for Idaho....

ETA: congrats SC...

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#31]
congrats S.C.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And eat some hay?

In the month of May?

or maybe go play with some clay?

Hey, I just may!

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Where in the state is this plant going to be? I hadn't heard anything on the news at all about Boeing even looking at SC for a plant. My dad may be interested. He has a Masters in Aerospace Research and Design, his specialty is rotary wing, but who knows, maybe they are willing to hire a middle aged intellectual with a background in the classroom and cockpit.

Pretty sure the first line of the article.

The airplane maker Boeing is moving to North Charleston, South Carolina.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats SC!

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#36]
The company I work for erected the fuselage assy building months ago.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Unions and our Governor are absolutely CLUELESS.  

Washington State is in a World of hurt financially. We are trying to outdo California...

Every legislative session is a huge financial boost for Idaho....

ETA: congrats SC...

+1

Union: Better to lose everything than not get what you demand.

Yeah!  Unemployment & lost revenue is a winning option in this economy.  They need to stick to their guns & be defiant to the last unemployment check.  That'll teach 'em over yonder in SC.

You know Olympia wants a state income tax so bad they're already spending the "projected revenues".  I swear they're aiming to "beat" Kali's $28B+ debt, & we're ~1/2 way there.

Vote "yes" on 1033.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

“This is obviously a very disappointing day for all Washingtonians, particularly the more than 73,000 Boeing workers in our state.  We did all we could to demonstrate that Washington is the best place in America to build airplanes.  State and local government worked hand in hand with our capable Congressional delegation, business and community leaders, educators and countless others to show our collective support for locating the second 787 assembly line here."

“Unfortunately, the active and intense discussions between Boeing and the Machinists union did not result in an agreement acceptable to both sides.  My colleagues in the Congressional delegation and I worked tirelessly to urge an agreement if at all possible; ultimately the two sides could not come together."  

http://media.wspa.com/wspa/images/uploads/boeing-787-dreamliner_thumb.jpg

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good, I love to the liberals get shafted.  Unfortunately a lot of good people are going to lose their jobs as well, but the big picture is a lot liberal piece of shit union goons and supporters are going to get fucked, including the local government.  HA fucking HA Seattle.

Maybe I'm not understanding this the way some of you are, but the big red letters I quoted doesn't look like Washington workers are out of jobs.  They aren't moving the operation out to SC, they are opening a second production line there.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
good job Union leaders...you fucked yourself the members again.

FIFY

Remember, Union Leaders ALWAYS get their money FIRST.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Oh yeah fuck the unions.....

Oh wait I am a member....

There is a lot more to this than what is reported......

IUOE #428 AZ
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yeah, like they led by pushing McCain over the top in the primaries?

Good job, South Carolina.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Here a lot of surprise, not me saw this coming after the last strike.

Get ready Carolina, when the replacement for the 737 is on the drawing board watch for more building around that area to accommodate it!

Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where in the state is this plant going to be? I hadn't heard anything on the news at all about Boeing even looking at SC for a plant. My dad may be interested. He has a Masters in Aerospace Research and Design, his specialty is rotary wing, but who knows, maybe they are willing to hire a middle aged intellectual with a background in the classroom and cockpit.

Probably outside of Charleston.  The Port Facilities and Military airport are close by, good power, great workforce, low cost of living.
I think large parts of the old Naval Base are still available.
Lockheed has/had a plant there.  Bosch was there for ages.
The folks there are generally hard workers, and can learn assembly skills quickly.  

Probably not a lot of design engineering (maybe project engineering), not rotary wing stuff.   For rotary wing, check sites for Huntsville Alabama.  The military is consolidating the rotary wing stuff here, sounds like a better fit.  Check monster, and the government job sites.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.wspa.com/wspa/images/uploads/boeing-787-dreamliner_thumb.jpg

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I'm not understanding this the way some of you are, but the big red letters I quoted doesn't look like Washington workers are out of jobs.  They aren't moving the operation out to SC, they are opening a second production line there.

Its the first step, Open a "second" Line and then close the first.  You dont want to loose production capability during a move..plus ramp up and learning curve delays.  The washington one will close
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Wait until Congress gets involved before counting your chickens. Alabama was awarded a tanker project, Boeing and their union lost, cried to Congress, Congress made them rebid, and now looks like Boeing will win
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Goddam unions struck the last couple of contracts and couldn't see this coming?

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Outstanding!   South Carolina FTW!

Congrats to the Union for sticking to their guns.  

Wave goodbye to the jobs.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#48]

Awesome.  I love being in a Right To Work state.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#49]
The only other comment I will add to this is that bids are not solely up to to unions and as far as labor cost are involved in manf. they are ill if none in manf. bids.  I've been involved on both sides for over 13years now.  Business is business as they say and as a business owner and organized labor supporter I will say no one ever sees all sides including me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I take it a lot of the smarter ones will move to South Carolina to keep their non-union jobs.

I'm glad the job didn't go overseas to the Chinese.  The wings will fall off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top