Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 12:27:22 PM EDT
[url]http://sport.guardian.co.uk/olympics/story/0,10308,650452,00.html[/url]

You believe this shit?  Fuck 'em....  They can have their games!  They're pissed off that we have to many troops around the Olypics.  Bet they'd be pissed off if a bomb went off!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
sigh
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Pull the Americans then pull security.  

Afterwards let the games continue in their normal way (since 1924) "....a sedate, friendly festival."
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
they want bombs and kidnappings to occur fine, we won't host them again, or send players.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
tuff stuff hope we cant watch it on tv either.
look at all the money well save on security!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If they don't want to see troops, then why send the Olympics to China?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they don't want to see troops, then why send the Olympics to China?
View Quote

Good question...  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
(since 1924) "....a sedate, friendly festival"

I guess they forgot all about what happened during The 1972 Munich Games.

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole security thing has been over rated and is largely a kneejerk reaction to reduce the liberties and the rights that we enjoy.

Personally I don't care if the olympics ever comes back to the US.  They should have them in Uganda for all I care.  The IOC and the USIOC is more concerned with "Branding" than they are with amature sport.  They are both now a sham of their former selves.  They are both worthless and useless.  Good riddance!

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be nice! [>(]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Those Olympic festivals are always money losers. I would love them to set up elsewhere. I think Montreal is still paying for the 1976 Olympics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Notice where the article is from.  Some Brits are still pissed that they lost us over 2 centuries, and take every chance to piss and moan about us.

As far as the IOC is concerned, their credibility was shot years ago.

The only thing that keeps them going is the willingness of politicians (and those few who stand to profit) to throw our tax money at hosting of Olympic events.  

Maybe we can get them pissed off enough that they will take their friggin' ball and go home.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Notice where the article is from.  Some Brits are still pissed that they lost us over 2 centuries, and take every chance to piss and moan about us.
View Quote

The way I see it, the Brits better be kissing some American ass for the next hundred years.  If it wasn't for my father and grandfather, as well as yours, they'd be speaking German in London right now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell em we don't want no more stinkin French judges either!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#14]
If we're lucky, maybe they'll take the United Nations with them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I guess they've forgotten what happened in Munich at the 1972 Olympics.

Some of you will have NO clue of what I'm talking about.

Search for the keywords 'munich olympics 1972'
and you will soon find out.   It's a real eye opener.

Regarding that editorial:

Screw them. Given the situation, it's not hard for any rational man to understand why our renewed patriotism is reflected in the games.  

I seem to remember other olympics that were very locally flavored as well.  Recent ones.  

CJ

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess they've forgotten what happened in Munich at the 1972 Olympics.

Some of you will have NO clue of what I'm talking about.

Search for the keywords 'munich olympics 1972'
and you will soon find out.   It's a real eye opener.

Regarding that editorial:

Screw them. Given the situation, it's not hard for any rational man to understand why our renewed patriotism is reflected in the games.  

I seem to remember other olympics that were very locally flavored as well.  Recent ones.  

CJ

View Quote

"The IOC is embarrassed that the very public presence of the 15,000 police and military is projecting a tense and uncomfortable atmosphere for an event that, since its first staging in 1924, has been a sedate, friendly festival."

I concur with CMJ, the IOC must be nuts if they believe that statement!  

[url]http://www.sptimes.com/News/122999/Sports/Terrorists_turn__72_M.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#17]
The simplest thing to correct this would be for the FCC to make a blanket statement that any international competetion that bars the United States from being a POSSIBLE host would NOT be allowed to be broadcast in the United States, or, if broadcast would be subject to fines totaling 2x the advertising revenues it brings in.

Do you REALLY think the IOC could survive financially without the massive amounts of money they get from the US Media covering them, and the money they get from the US companies being an "official sponsor"?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
This is a better link. It includes details about the response to the massacre :
[url]http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/calahan.htm[/url]

Here is a sample:
Background: In 1972, the Israeli Mossad initiated one of the most ambitious covert counterterrorist campaigns in history. Golda Meir and the Israeli cabinet's top secret 'Committee-X' devised a campaign in retaliation for the massacre of eleven Israeli's during the Munich Olympic games. Meir tasked the committee with devising an appropriate response to the Munich massacre. The panel concluded that the most effective response was to authorize the assassination of any Black September terrorists involved in the Munich incident. The Mossad assumed the responsibility for implementing the panel's directive. To accomplish the directive, the Mossad developed several assassination teams, each with specific mission parameters and methods of operation.
View Quote

Check out the chart at the bottom.
Those guys really liked Beretta .22 CAL
pistols.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
While I was not born untill 1975, I know exactly what you are talking about cmjohnson.  And it makes me mad as hell that these terrorists think such actions actually bring them closer to what ever goal they intend.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[url]http://sport.guardian.co.uk/olympics/story/0,10308,650452,00.html[/url]

You believe this shit?  Fuck 'em....  They can have their games!  They're pissed off that we have to many troops around the Olypics.  Bet they'd be pissed off if a bomb went off!
View Quote

I read the article.

Olympics are not anymore sport, but business.

Olympic Committee don't give a damn about human rights: otherwise why they gave to Peking the Olympics?

It's a scandal. Personally I'll boycott the Chinese Olympics...
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Olympics are not anymore sport, but business.

Olympic Committee don't give a damn about human rights: otherwise why they gave to Peking the Olympics?

It's a scandal...
View Quote

Sour grapes from the article link above ([url]http://sport.guardian.co.uk/olympics/story/0,10308,650452,00.html[/url]):
A strong anti-American feeling has existed among many IOC members since 1998 when 10 of its members were forced to resign or were expelled after they were found to have accepted a total of $1m in cash, gifts, scholarships and other inducements to win votes for Salt Lake's Olympic candidacy.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Lets face it, the IOC is an illigitimate body of crooks who should not exist.  They'll justify their against the US because we're proud after the attacks?  I say fuck em, and I hope the US will boycott any olympics after this if they spite us by not allowing NY the future olympics.  If the jews can create guilt for 50 years after WWII, we are definately allowed a year of national pride and not allowing people to forget in the wake of 9/11.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#23]
It will be interesting to see just how much carping about China will be allowed when they go there.

Not that it makes a lot of difference since the Olympics are fast becoming irrelevant.

Personally, I'd rather watch X-games anyday.  All they need is hockey and a biathalon.
Oh yeah, the bikini team, too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top