Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 10:08:18 AM EDT
The local gun show will be coming to town next week.  A friend and I are renting a table.  Plan to put up one of my AKs for sale.  It is a .223 Norinco NHM-90 (post-ban 84S).  It is in excellent shape.  I put on a very nice blond Bishop stock, a true AK-47 muzzle break and a red dot scope with side rail.  I'm including eight new hard to find Norinco 30 rd mags and one 40 rd mags.  It looks and shoots great.  No paper.  Do you think I could get $800 for the set?  Pre-ban .223 84S without the mags generally go for a grand.

I would like to sell it so that I can afford to buy a match grade M1A1 but I don't want to over price it.

You opinion on the price?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I am not familiar with a Bishop stock, but I assume it is a standard (i.e. not thumbhole) stock.  If you convert a post ban NHM-90 from a thumbhole confitguration, you MUST have 10 or fewer imported parts (i.e. it must be a non-assault weapon of domestic production--no flash hider, bayo lug, etc if it has a pistol grip and detachable mag0.

Is it a milled receiver gun or a stamped gun?

.223 NHM-90's are fairly rare, but I would bet you wouldn't get over $650 for the package, $50 more if the receiver is milled.  You may get the $800 out of it if you are lucky, but it depends on the competetion.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Why dont you try to trade it toward the gun you really want? You will save on sales tax that way too.

[beer]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Buying the entire State of Alaska would be expensive.  They have a goodly amount of natural resources up there.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The Chinese .223 guns are fantastic guns.  Worth far more than they go for.  That's a problem for you as the seller.  As you said a pre-ban is about a grand, so a post-ban is going to be roughly 50-60% of the price.  Most people that were interested in just having an AK that would shoot .223 bought SAR-3s at $300.  Most people will still link that price with any .223 AK.  I owned a pre-ban 84s, and currently have a post-ban Mak-90.223.  They are better guns than the SAR's IMO, but market is market.

The problem with the Chinese guns is the price of the mags.  If you create a package like yours, the mag price drives up the package price and reduces your market to some gun-nut (like me) who wants a Chinese .223 AK with 8 mags.  Most buyers settle for one or two mags to begin with.  I would recommend you sell the gun and one 30rd and one 15rd mag as the package for a reduced cost (that's worth about $400-450).  Then sell the mags separtately, or offer them to the guy buying the package.  

This approach gives you a wider market that might be interested in buying your gun because the initial price is lower, and many just don't want 8 mags.  It still lets that gun-nut (like me) who wants a butt-load of mags with each gun to get the "upgraded" package by buying the extra mags from you, especially if you cut a deal with the guy to take them all.

If you sell the gun and not the extra mags, you can sell them on the net without the FFL hassle of the gun, so getting rid of them is fairly easy.  Heck, even I need a few more.

AFARR had the price hit square you have about a $650 package, but it will probably sell faster if it's broken down into more affordable chunks.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure all the Chinese .223's are stamped.

Ross
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Ross, thats good advice.  I thought everybody were gun nuts like you and I and would appreciate the value.

You are right, the 84S is a much better gun than the SAR3.  I sold my pre-ban with 8 mags last fall for $1200.  Of course it was a couple of weeks after 911.  The market was hot for assualt weapons packages.  This NHM 90 was a 84S with a a tack welded sleeve on the muzzle threads.  Very easy to remove.  I cut it off and permanetly fixed a PC AK74 break and an American make trigger set.  The blond Bishop stock (oversized for Americans) makes the gun really look great.  I hate to get rid of it but without coming up with a little cash now I can't afford the M1A1.

I a lot of ways the 84S is a better gun than the AR15 for shooting .223.  I think it would take a lot more punishment and still keep on functioning.  The gage of steel in the stamped receiver is much better than most imported AKs.  All in all a very good weapon.

Again thanks for the advice.  If I don't sell all the mags then I will contact you at your E-mail and give you first chance at them for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the mag chance.  It will be easier for you to sell them out there, but I'm a magaholic[;)] so I'm interested if you have any left.  Also be patient, plenty of people will look.  It's a high ratio of tire-kickers to actual buyers.  Especially at shows.  

Ross
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The local gun show will be coming to town next week.  A friend and I are renting a table.  Plan to put up one of my AKs for sale.  It is a .223 Norinco NHM-90 (post-ban 84S).  It is in excellent shape.  I put on a very nice blond Bishop stock, a true AK-47 muzzle [red]break[/red] and a red dot scope with side rail.  I'm including eight new hard to find Norinco 30 rd mags and one 40 rd mags.  It looks and shoots great.  No paper.  Do you think I could get $800 for the set?  Pre-ban .223 84S without the mags generally go for a grand.

I would like to sell it so that I can afford to buy a match grade M1A1 but I don't want to over price it.

You opinion on the price?
View Quote

that's BRAKE!  [:)]  i think you could definitely rule out $800 with a broken muzzle.  [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top