Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2002 9:17:22 AM EDT
I have been wondering what AR means and what Ak means.  Can anyone tell me.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
AR means ARmalite.  Others will tell you different, but ArmaLite was the original maker of the AR15 rifle and way back when, everything ArmaLite made had AR on it, such as the AR7 survival rifle and the shotgun was an AR but I can't remember the model.

I can't remember exactly what the A in AK stands for, but the K stands for Kalishnikov, the inventor of the rifle.  The A probably means assault, but I can't remember for sure.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]
AK= Avtomat Kalashnikova or Kalashnikov Automatic.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#3]
[b][u]A[/b][/u]vtomat [b][u]K[/b][/u]alashnikov Model of 1947
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I had heard AR was for Armalite Rifle, but since there is an AR shotgun, it makes sense that LARRYG is completely correct

as for AK, the K does stand for Kalishnikov, the inventor. The A is for automat, or autovat, something like that. I think it's basically russian for automatic
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the AR17 was the shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally...
AR = Armalite
AK = Automat Kalashnikov

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you.  I thought that is what it stood for but wasn't sure.  Didn't know what the "A" in Ak stood for, but guessed the "k" in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top