Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/26/2009 8:45:02 AM EDT

Really, how hard would it be?  I'm sure there is not shortage of Muslims willing to get their "heavenly reward", and getting the men and materials into the country is really no problem.  150 people in Iraq got killed in an IED attack, and no one in America bats an eye.  If our enemies really wanted to strike at the US, why wouldn't they do resort to this?  With America defeated, they could do what they wanted in Iraq/Afghanistan or where else at their leisure.

I finished reading Black Hawk Down this morning and at the end of the book, it mentioned that for years after the battle, leaders of Aidid's clan still thought the world's attention was focused on them, as though we were still captivated by their war.  Of course, we know that most people forgot about it within weeks.  Are our enemies that delusional as well?  Do they really thinking killing 150 Muslims in Iraq hurts the American opinion of the war?

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The FBI is doing their job. They have arrested numerous terrorists in just the past few months.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#2]
150 people is a shit ton of folks.

Not to far off from Oklahoma City

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]
because they get here, see how good it is, and decide to live here
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Really, how hard would it be?  I'm sure there is not shortage of Muslims willing to get their "heavenly reward", and getting the men and materials into the country is really no problem.  150 people in Iraq got killed in an IED attack, and no one in America bats an eye.  If our enemies really wanted to strike at the US, why wouldn't they do resort to this?  With America defeated, they could do what they wanted in Iraq/Afghanistan or where else at their leisure.

I finished reading Black Hawk Down this morning and at the end of the book, it mentioned that for years after the battle, leaders of Aidid's clan still thought the world's attention was focused on them, as though we were still captivated by their war.  Of course, we know that most people forgot about it within weeks.  Are our enemies that delusional as well?  Do they really thinking killing 150 Muslims in Iraq hurts the American opinion of the war?

Don't know really.  You figure all it would take is a few massive car bombs on any clogged up highway during rush hour, and you mortify the region.  Either there really is a shortage of those kinds of assholes in the CONUS, or DHS really has their shit together.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#5]
dubtap
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
you will being seeing more and more of that shit in the states im afraid. good thing the feds and all law enforcement is aware and watching out for this stuff.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Whoops.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder the same thing sometimes, my guess is they're busy blowing themselves up over there. We're gullible to think we could stop every suicide bomb attack. If they wanted to they could pull it off.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wonder if that really happens.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

probably true
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It will happen soon enough. Nothing stopping them really.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A few beers and some wild sex with some females over here and maybe they will start thinkin our country ain't so bad
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Counterproductive.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess the main question would be......what would they use? IEDs elsewhere in the world are using old explosive shells and other surplus /new military explosive products cobbled together to make bombs. Here in the US, with the explosives industry so heavily regulated, it would be very hard if not impossible for the small-or large-scale use of explosive products to make IEDs. Home made chemicals probably wouldn't work too well for this mission. And as far as smuggling them in, this too would be very hard (at least for sustained IED operations) in light of the relatively heavy border/port/customs enforcement.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#15]
This has always bothered me as well. Even a few guys with AK's and explosives in the middle of a large metropolitan area could wreak havoc. The public would be absolutely terrified.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

150 people is a shit ton of folks.

Not to far off from Oklahoma City

How many died in the Embassy bombings?  Most weren't Americans, so that didn't register much at home.   Until its actually on US soil, I don't think there will be much impact.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Its too risky.  Bumbling errors aside, we've gotten pretty good at anti-terror operations in the last eight years.  Its not as easy to move/fund people here in the US as it once was.  

Plus, the beauty of the two wars we're fighting is that if someone wants to kill Americans, they go to Iraq or Afghanistan.  Why go through all the trouble of going the the US when you can fight the invaders in your back yard?  From the beginning I thought that alone was more than enough reason to start the Iraq war.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I've wondered about this too.

A few suicide bombers in scattered cities, say in a busy Mall the day after Thanksgiving would tie America up every bit as much as 9/11, worse, because we were able to focus on airline security in reaction.

This would require shutting down cities/public spaces to respond to it.

I think it's a combination of all things listed above in this thread.

The militant islamist mindset requires dramatic symbolic action and a sense of epic catharsis. They don't place the same value on safety/human life as we do, and believe IED's/suicide bombers are a waste, they don't really understand/believe that the same crap as Iraq and Afghanistan would be paralyizing over here.

DHS/FBI is indeed doing their job. Despite how natural it is to criticize, at least when it comes to LEO and MIL work, the fed.gov is pretty damned good at what they do.

Iraq and Afghanistan is having a "bug zapper/bug light" effect. "Over there, as opposed to over here..."

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Feds are doing their job, and it's easier to set IEDs in their host country
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I guess the main question would be......what would they use? IEDs elsewhere in the world are using old explosive shells and other surplus /new military explosive products cobbled together to make bombs. Here in the US, with the explosives industry so heavily regulated, it would be very hard if not impossible for the small-or large-scale use of explosive products to make IEDs. Home made chemicals probably wouldn't work too well for this mission. And as far as smuggling them in, this too would be very hard (at least for sustained IED operations) in light of the relatively heavy border/port/customs enforcement.

People manage to smuggle cocaine and people across our borders.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Just heard on FNC they arrested some 19 year old Jordanian who pushed the send button on a call he thought was setting off a bomb.

The feds knew and neutered his shit so nothing happened.

This episode has me thinking our domestic security is pretty solid.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE59P3JG20091026
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I think they realize that once stateside civilians start being targeted, even the soccer moms will have no problem opening a can of whoop ass in the middle east.  If we are no longer safe in America, all hell will break loose in the sandbox.  The generals will finally be allowed to truly destroy that region and congress will go along with it because that is what America will demand.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 8:59:11 AM EDT
[#23]
3 or 4 guys with AKs during the holiday shopping season at a mall would do more than enough damage for them....that is my worry.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This has always bothered me as well. Even a few guys with AK's and explosives in the middle of a large metropolitan area could wreak havoc. The public would be absolutely terrified.

No, it would take a lot more than that to terrify Americans.  When SHTF Americans generally respond pretty violently to stuff like that at first.  If I was a leader in a middle east country, I'd be pretty nervous about funding an operation against the US after what happened to Saddam.  Their hatred of America isn't stronger than their love of power.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You are kidding around, aren't you?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think they realize that once stateside civilians start being targeted, even the soccer moms will have no problem opening a can of whoop ass in the middle east.  If we are no longer safe in America, all hell will break loose in the sandbox.  The generals will finally be allowed to truly destroy that region and congress will go along with it because that is what America will demand.

QFTMFT

Something about a gun behind every blade of grass.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A cell was recently broken up that intended to do an active shooter thing. But they were a dumb ass crew.

I think the thing is cost vs benifit. Our security imposes costs, and the benifit of IEDs and active shooters does not appeal as much to the smarter terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Suicide bombers are very difficult to find. There are indications that many of the "purported" suicide bombers are often handcuffed to their vehicles, and many times don't even control detonation, a third party does. The poor, illiterate, often mentally handicapped people they get to do this job would have a hard time getting a visa to come to the U.S.

Over here they don't have easy access to high explosives. You need a ton of HME for good effect. Things like C4, or its equivalent, and arty shells are very common there. Here, not so much. And, one or two small attacks would galvanize America, result in more war and more sanctions, which isn't the effect they are looking for. I think even now many are regretting 9/11. I expect if they hit us they will go big, hoping to shift America over to a noninterventionalist strategy and doing severe damage to our economy. But they may think that the current administration is doing a good enough job of that anyway, and doesn't need the help of terrorists.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they realize that once stateside civilians start being targeted, even the soccer moms will have no problem opening a can of whoop ass in the middle east. If we are no longer safe in America, all hell will break loose in the sandbox. The generals will finally be allowed to truly destroy that region and congress will go along with it because that is what America will demand.

QFTMFT

Not really applicable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I don't think it's as easy as all that to get suicide bombers to do their thing.    They need to be highly controlled and reinforced.   There are a lot of distractions here in the US.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#31]
for all the people who bad mouth bush he did a good job of keeping us safe this may change now that odumbos in office
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe the typical US Muslim isn't as eager to kill innocent Americans as you thought?  I don't have much faith that .gov could detect or stop a well thought out plan.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I still think what happened in Mumbai will happen here. I don't care how squared away a police force is; an attack like that would result in the same numbers here: 200+/- killed, 300+/- injured.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Al-Qaeda is a victim of their own success.  They tried in 93 to bring down the towers/contaminate the site with cyanide producing chemicals..they miscalculated badly and failed miserably to even damage the towers themselves... the 93 bombing really WAS a WMD incident due to the chemical component.  2001 they managed to succeed and galvanized the world with their attack on the US.. they then went on to bully spain with the Madrid incident, and had great success in london.  Problem is, what do they do HERE to top 9-11?  If they di anything less, then they look weak in the eyes of the Muslim World.  Better to talk shit and keep looking for the next best BIG thing, than to go small, even with say 5+ separate coordinated incidents, and "jump the Shark" in the eyes of the other radicals.  they have to top themselves, problem is when they finally figure it out, it's gonna b BAD if we cant stop it like we;ve been doing with the small-timers.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

perhaps they'd be out gunned if they were in TX.  minus the explosives part.  unless if you cuold shoot their explosives as a reactive target.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#36]
remember the malvo sniper guy??? he had every agency there was looking for him,national guard, everyone.. people were scared shitless, and he shot 10 people i think....only reason he was caught was he decided to start writing letters, and gave a little too much info to the police......... imagine 20 sniper teams like him running loose around the us at once.......... single shot h&r rifle $150.00 bucks........ and a used car...... not much to organize.. it would be a nightmare...
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few beers and some wild sex with some females over here and maybe they will start thinkin our country ain't so bad

That does not seem to be the way it plays out in Europe. In the UK, is was 2nd or 3rd gen "Englishmen" who carried out the train attacks using suicide backpacks.

The 1st gen to move to Western culture tend to enjoy the upgrade, their children or grandchildren become radical. It is worse in Europe for three reasons:

1) Can't move to Germany (France, Italy, etc) and become German.

2) Due to the welfare state, you don't have to become a productive member of society.

3) Muslim immigration is much higher per capita in Europe than the US.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#38]
We are destroying ourselves just fine.  All they have to do now is sit back and watch and wait.  Why would they want to do something that might break Americans out of the sleepwalk they're in, and get them awake, aware and pissed off?

They may be goat herders.  They may live in caves, but they aren't stupid.  Just like the North Vietnamese, they are watching our media.  They know they are winning the ideological war.  In a few more years, the Americans are going to pull out of the ME and go home.  Our media and Hollywood are doing a better job destroying America than the terrorists ever could.  An IED on an interstate, or a mass shooting at a school could change all that.  They don't want Americans awake, they want them to keep watching American Idol while they slowly infiltrate our government and Judicial system.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#39]
When I see convenience stores an 7-11's closing up in unison, I'll  be freaking out.

But in the mean time, all the terrorist types are to busy making money and living a life they never had, and never will have if they had to repatriate.

They really like their BMW's, Lexus , and MB's...and do not want to part with the bling.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, didn't those moslem bastards from 9/11 do the strip club thing before hand?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Al-Qaeda is a victim of their own success.  They tried in 93 to bring down the towers/contaminate the site with cyanide producing chemicals..they miscalculated badly and failed miserably to even damage the towers themselves... the 93 bombing really WAS a WMD incident due to the chemical component.  2001 they managed to succeed and galvanized the world with their attack on the US.. they then went on to bully spain with the Madrid incident, and had great success in london.  Problem is, what do they do HERE to top 9-11?  If they di anything less, then they look weak in the eyes of the Muslim World.  Better to talk shit and keep looking for the next best BIG thing, than to go small, even with say 5+ separate coordinated incidents, and "jump the Shark" in the eyes of the other radicals.  they have to top themselves, problem is when they finally figure it out, it's gonna b BAD if we cant stop it like we;ve been doing with the small-timers.

With our economy the way it is, and a shitty upcoming retail season, two or three groups of 2 or 3 people staging attacks in shopping malls across the country could shut down all holiday spending.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Give it a few years, Birth rates will go up for them as are's dwindle. We will be over run.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still think what happened in Mumbai will happen here. I don't care how squared away a police force is; an attack like that would result in the same numbers here: 200+/- killed, 300+/- injured.

Possible, but also quite possible police or even civilians would end it (or part of it, taking out some teams) very quickly.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they realize that once stateside civilians start being targeted, even the soccer moms will have no problem opening a can of whoop ass in the middle east. If we are no longer safe in America, all hell will break loose in the sandbox. The generals will finally be allowed to truly destroy that region and congress will go along with it because that is what America will demand.

QFTMFT

Not really applicable.

Not for IEDs or suicide bombs, but for active shooter situations it does apply.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Counterproductive.

QFT.

Why mess up a good thing. They have a dedicated and effective 5th column and fund raising apparatus in the USA, why bring additional scrutiny here.

Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder the same thing sometimes, my guess is they're busy blowing themselves up over there. We're gullible to think we could stop every suicide bomb attack. If they wanted to they could pull it off.

This, We train for it but our training is mostly about the clean up
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#47]
It's Bush's fault....
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#48]
there are reasons to want to actually live here
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

remember the malvo sniper guy??? he had every agency there was looking for him,national guard, everyone.. people were scared shitless, and he shot 10 people i think....only reason he was caught was he decided to start writing letters, and gave a little too much info to the police......... imagine 20 sniper teams like him running loose around the us at once.......... single shot h&r rifle $150.00 bucks........ and a used car...... not much to organize.. it would be a nightmare...

Shit, during my military science class - we listened to a LtCol of Marines plan a terrorist attack that involved two cars, two bombs, two rifles, three people, and a few hundred casualties.

It wouldn't be hard and I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

The only way to prevent it is to make the people that are most likely to do this value their lives.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, didn't those moslem bastards from 9/11 do the strip club thing before hand?

They were too cheap to pay for prostitutes.

I'm convinced the root of Muslim anger is the belief that they are superior and should be dominate, and reality is very much the opposite. They will enjoy fucking the blond chicks, then they will plant their bombs. Hell, IIRC the Lockerbe bomber used his unsuspecting Western girlfriend as the bomb delivery agent.

The US has had something of a pass, since we have a relatively small muslim population, they can assimlate to our culture, and with less welfare they are pushed to assimilate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top