Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2002 9:39:16 PM EDT
I heard the 442nd mentioned on Brian Wilson's show last night and this morning I saw a car with a plate "442nd." What I gathered from the few minutes I heard was that it was a WWII unit of Japanese Americans that fought with distinction. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it is the 442d regimental combat team, made up of Japanese American soldiers in WW II. It fought in Italy and was the most highly decorated unit in the US Army. Senator Inowae (sp) of Hawii was in it and lost an arm.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The 442nd RCT (Regimental Combat Team) "Go for Broke" were made up of Japanese Americans, mainly from Hawaii and California.  They are still the most decorated unit for its Regimental size in United States History.  

Their most famous campaign was rescueing the "Lost Battalion", 141st Infantry....a Texas unit.  

18,000 Awards were bestowed upon the 442nd, 9,500 Purple Hearts, 52 DSC's, 7 DUC's but only one CMOH.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I knew someone who recently passed away who was in the 442nd.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone should be able to find the name of the movie made about that unit. I've seen it several times , all many years ago.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
seb127 espoused:

Someone should be able to find the name of the movie made about that unit. I've seen it several times , all many years ago.  
View Quote

The name of the movie was "Go for Broke"; a very good film, too.

details at [url]http://us.imdb.com/Title?0043590[/url]

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone. But now I am confused about "The Lost Battalion." I just rented the A&E movie by that name about a WWI unit in france, and they were from New York. Was there more than one Unit by that name? Another in WWII?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
THE MOST DECORATED!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top