Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 6:44:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
OMG!!!

I just spewed hot tea all over my keyboard!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Last boar I took I used my Para Ordnance .45. Things got pretty exciting after the first shot! I think the boar was pissed! Shot number two put it down quickly though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, the one I took (280lbs!) took off like a rocket, and eventually "tree'd" me in the bed of an old pickup truck after chasing the rest of the party around. Shot #2 was nearly point blank, shooting down vertically right between the shoulder blades. Of course, then the rest of the guys razzed me for the rest of the trip, saying stuff like "you capped it on a drive by", etc.. Boar is some of the best tasting meat there is. I highly recommend it!
Hint: if you plan on taking a boar with a .45, use ball ammo only. HP's will not likely penetrate enough to do more than get you chased around.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Call me a pansy but I refuse to purposefully go hunting wild boar without my AK and a full 30rnder at least.  Screw this pistol junk...

Those boars are mean SOBs...
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
the nuge carries a glock in 10mm, thats probably what he shot it with and not a 45acp
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the nuge carries a glock in 10mm, thats probably what he shot it with and not a 45acp
View Quote

I heard that is what he packs too. Glock was really pushing the G20 and optional 6" barrel as a hunting gun a couple years ago. Too bad they didn't use him to promote the thing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to go Boar hunting alone in the Florida swamps.  The only gun I would use was a 30.06 with a .44 mag backup.  Problem was, down there in the deep woods, the only thing I would see most times is a literal explosion of brush in front of me.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Call me a pansy but I refuse to purposefully go hunting wild boar without my AK and a full 30rnder at least.  Screw this pistol junk...

Those boars are mean SOBs...
View Quote

One of the guys on our hunt (an ex-Marine) had the balls to chase one down, tackling it from behind, and impaling it with a very large bowie knife.
Yes, they are VERY mean! I had a .44 Mag for a backup in case the .45 jammed or was insufficient. Boars will definately do a number on you if they get the chance!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
no such thing as an "ex-marine" if he's alive he's still a Marine, hence chasing down the boar and sticking him...just yanking your chain though [:-)] boars are NASTY. i shot one in south GA with my AR and he turned towards me and took 2-3 steps like he wanted a piece of me before he fell.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[u]no such thing as an "ex-marine" if he's alive he's still a Marine[/u], hence chasing down the boar and sticking him...just yanking your chain though [:-)] boars are NASTY. i shot one in south GA with my AR and he turned towards me and took 2-3 steps like he wanted a piece of me before he fell.
View Quote

I was JUST getting ready to edit my post to reflect that fact!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Nuge is cool. I just watched the whole show my self. But I hear from one of his neighbors he is very stingy about his land. I would love to hunt his place. 900 acres of exotic stocked paradise. the thought just stirs my...soul.

[:)>]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nuge is cool. I just watched the whole show my self. But I hear from one of his neighbors he is very stingy about his land. I would love to hunt his place. 900 acres of exotic stocked paradise. the thought just stirs my...soul.

View Quote

Well, it [b]is[/b] his land. He might be like me and not really have any use for 95% of the rest of humanity, so why invite them onto his land?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Just had to chime in.  There is a difference in feral hog and wild boar..........even more so than a snot nosed golden gloves teen and Mike Tyson(in his prime or not).  The teen has a chance to become a champ while a feral hog can never be even closely rated as a wild boar.  It's in the genetics from a different continent.  Hunting feral hogs is fun and can get exciting in a scary sort of way.  

Dave S

Anyone that hunts wild boar with a cavalier attitude is an ass.  Again, had to chime in out of respect for the king of pigs, feral hogs are peasants.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#15]
McUzi is smiling in the recesses of outcastedness and chanting, "Long live the 10mm!!  Long live the 10mm!!  Long live the 10mm!!  Got any carrots?"
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone that hunts wild boar with a cavalier attitude is an ass.  Again, had to chime in out of respect for the king of pigs, feral hogs are peasants.
View Quote

The ones we hunted were Russian wild boar. They were not peasants by ANY stretch! During the hunt I had the unsettling feeling I was being hunted too! Definately not for the faint of heart, and not for someone who cannot pull themselves up to safety if needed. Thankfully, they cannot climb trees.  I might go again next year. We usually go to Telico Plains in Tennessee.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it [b]is[/b] his land. He might be like me and not really have any use for 95% of the rest of humanity, so why invite them onto his land?
View Quote

True True, But the neighbor in question has invited him to hunt his land, and I know that my hunting club has invited many of our neighbors to hunt our place, hunting is a bond that mortal man should share with every body. as much criticism as we get we've got to stick together, so if the Nuge is reading this, come on down to the cabin.

Link Posted: 2/17/2002 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is my hog hunting story.  Feral hog for you purists.  Two weekends ago, I was hunting with my Uncle and came upon a boar at sundown.  I was hunting with my Remington 700 PSS .308 so I was desperately praying for a shot where I could use a tree, fencepost, or the ground to steady that heavy beast.  It didn't quite end up that way.  I ended up chasing after the thing for about 3-400 yds. and taking a shot offhand from about 50 ft. as he was facing away, but at a slight angle.  

He dropped, squealing, but wasn't down for the count.  I had shot 3 inches to the left and got him in the right buttcheek, shattering his hip.  I put a fresh round in the rifle and approached with my 92fs drawn in one hand.  He was hurting, but did see me and attempted a charge.  Sheesh, talk about immediate danger alarms going off in my brain!  I shot him once in the head from about 15 ft. with a Hydroshock above the right eye.  This put hime down for the count.  We loaded him up and went back to camp.

Here is the neat part that I had to recall on the way back to camp:  When I first squeezed the trigger on the 9mm (my hand was shaking like a leaf from the run and the adreniline) there was...NOTHING!  I racked the slide, pointed and shot (probably missed), then remembered FRONT SIGHT, FRONT SIGHT!  I re-aimed and fired the fatal shot.  All of the training came back to me and I didn't even have to think about it.  I was able to deal with the fail to fire and first missed shot rather quickly.  Good to know all the practice pays off.  I can also guarantee that I will check the condition of my pistol next time.

Of course, this story may have ended differently if the boar HAD been able to charge.  We had hot and mild breakfast sausage yesterday morning.  Yum yum and I win!

-White Horse
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top