Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2009 8:19:21 AM EDT
I need to put an end to this.  I work for the Department of Transportation, on a specialty maint. crew.  We work out on the roads, usually in traffic.  The job involves a lot of driving, working with heavy equipment and power tools, ect.  Just the sort of things your NEVER to do when intoxicated.  We've had some close calls, work is getting dangerous, and last week he drove his truck into a tree.  Enough is enough.

He's my assistant manager and his "problem" has been steadily getting worse over the last two years.   I've tried talking to him, as have several other members of my crew.  We've looked the other way, even covered for him, because we had hopes it was a temporary problem.  It was a mistake to do that, and we were wrong to let it go on.  It will cost him his job, but something needs to be done before it costs a life.

Here's the catch, there WILL be retribution and retaliation for the person who turns him in.  Our manager knows about the problem, but is unaware of the depth or frequency of it.  He will catch a lot of hell from upper management, will be in tons of meetings, and will not be happy.  He's too close to retirement to want to deal with this.  He would prefer to just retire away and let the next guy deal with it, so if this all comes out he will be looking for heads.  The drunken boss also has friends at work who will have some hate for the snitch, so all in all it's going to be a rough life for me if it comes out that I turned him in.

I'm looking for advice here.  How can I turn him in or get him pulled over by the police without my name getting involved?  Upper management isn't an option, because they will name names.  The safety manager is supposed to protect workers who report problems, but he's a back-stabbing SOB and I've seen him roll over on pee-ons and name the person who called in a violation.   That guy has spent the last 3 years on the management shit-list.  I'm thinking the police would be the best option, because it would force the issue into the open, but can I make an anonymous call?  I'm in Oregon if it matters, btw.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Look for a new job or make powerful friends. You are proper fucked there.

Sucks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can make an anonymous call, and you should. If you want, you could make it sound like you're a random member of the public... It's good that you want to step up and do the right thing.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
anonymous cell phone call to popo about erratic driving with his license plate number and vehicle description?

ETA: too late

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Make an anonymous call (pay phone) to the local PD on Sunday evening.

Provide description of vehicle, driver, chronically drunk, etc.

Do not name drop - just say there's a county vehicle that is always swerving, etc and you think they're drinking on the job (whatever).   But you're just a concerned citizen who wants to avoid potential retribution, so can a trooper check things out on Monday?

Outside of something along those lines (or making the call over your lunchbreak to provide a location), it looks like it would be hard to remain annonymous.   A letter would probably get swept under the rug unless you send it to upper management - and even then it may eventually get back to you.

Lastly, delete this post.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, Oregon has a pretty strong whistle blower law.  Personally, I'd call the state police.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I gather you are a government worker?  Here's what you do:

Bypass everyone in your local "chain of command", since it sounds like you'll be screwed if you report it to them.

Instead, write a long letter to the State DOT Inspector General, telling him everything you told us above, including your fear of retribution.  Ask to remain anonymous.

There's a 99% chance that when you do this, action WILL be taken, heads WILL roll, and you will not suffer.

And on the off chance that no action is taken, contact the media.  I'm serious.  They love "government worker drinking on the job" type stories, and they'll be ALL over it like flies on shit.  Since you're here in Oregon, call Lars Larson.  Explain everything to him.  I guarantee he will help you out.  He LOVES to nail government workers when they are doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't there some sort of "whistleblower" law for government workers?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#8]

If this drunk boss of yours ends up killing an innocent - will you be okay with that?

I agree with the post above me, bypass proper chain of command, and mail written letter certified with receipt to the state department that can stop this nonsense.

Besides the liability issues this brings about - If I found out that someone who killed a loved one was known to have a drinking/drugs problem and wasn't taken care of before hand because of job politics, I'd coc violation.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make an anonymous call (pay phone)

Emphasized the important part in case you truly want to be anonymous.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Borrow someone elses cell phone and use it to call in the report when he is driving drunk.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's put it in perspective:

The guys you work for may hate you. The almost-retired guy may resent having to actually WOK in the last days before he retires. well, that's tough.

None of them wil hate you half as much as the father of the child that gets killed when this guys runs her over because he was durnk if it comes to light that you knew about it and turned a blind eye.

Turn the guy in. Better yet, go to the police and make sure they catch him. Habitual drunk driving isn't, in any way, funny, or to be taken lightly. It's a life-and-death issue.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:45:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's the catch, there WILL be retribution and retaliation for the person who turns him in..

Turn him in. Does your state not have whistleblower protection laws?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Get video if you can, write up a report and try to get a few signatures from other people who have seen him drunk.  Send the letter to the head of the dept and emphasize the fear of retaliation by management.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Call no matter what. I would find it hard to forgive myself if he hurt or killed anybody. If he does, you and those who know are almost just as guilty. Not trying to start shit, but you know it is true.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#15]
We had a problem at work where there was an "Illegal Activity" going on. Person comitting the crime was golf buddy of the boss. Both were very close to retirement. Nothing was ever done, both have moved on into retirement.  

Typical State system  
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Retribution and retaliation are illegal.  So if someone does get fired, they will be getting a nice lawsuit settlement not long afterward.  Do you not have random testing and some sort of integrity line where you can anonymously report such behavior?
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you've tried the in-house solution. Time for the police and/or the gov as mentioned above. I wouldn't send a certified letter though.
Get one of those disposable cell phones. Call the police if you see him drunk driving.
It might not be someone else who gets hurt. It could be you or someone on your crews. Heavy equipment tends to leave marks on people (and the ground).
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd tell everyone who listened. And if there was any retribution I'd sue everybody, take it to the media and tell them I was gay and jewish. It would be ALL over the news then.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#19]

"I am the liquor, Randy"
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Call the local TV Reporter, they live for this shit
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you all for the advice, and your input is apreciated.  OK, here are a few answers to some of your questions in no particular order...

Retribution is a concern, but not all retribution can be documented.  There's always the crappy assignment, getting passed up for the next opportunity, being the one who gets put on the night shift, ect.  There's also a strong "managers club", so if you cause problems for one manager the others will know about it.  Forget about a transfer or moving up.

Upper management, there's a joke.  The District Maint. Mangager got a DUI about 7 months ago.  She's going to do what?  

The biggest problem with catching him is that it doesn't happen every day.  In fact, it usually happens when we have a night work job to do, which just happens to be when all upper management is in bed.  We usually work Mon-Thurs., and then a Friday or Saturday night will come up for some random emergency or scheduled repair.  That's typically when he's drunk.  

We do have "random drug testing", and that's another joke.  The manager would have to schedule it for it to happen.  I've heard about random drug tests, but never seen one myself.  I think they are a myth.  Besides, they sure as hell won't happen on a Saturday night.  

I'm thinking about calling the Oregon State Police today and asking them about making annoymous calls.  I need to step up on this, but if I can in any way protect myself I will.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I gather you are a government worker?  Here's what you do:

Bypass everyone in your local "chain of command", since it sounds like you'll be screwed if you report it to them.

Instead, write a long letter to the State DOT Inspector General, telling him everything you told us above, including your fear of retribution.  Ask to remain anonymous.

There's a 99% chance that when you do this, action WILL be taken, heads WILL roll, and you will not suffer.

And on the off chance that no action is taken, contact the media.  I'm serious.  They love "government worker drinking on the job" type stories, and they'll be ALL over it like flies on shit.  Since you're here in Oregon, call Lars Larson.  Explain everything to him.  I guarantee he will help you out.  He LOVES to nail government workers when they are doing something wrong.

This is the correct action to take.  The act anonymous suggestions are wrong.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#23]
1. wait for him to drive drunk
2. anonymous tip
3. ...
4. get promoted to his spot
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#24]
BLACKMAIL
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Retribution is a concern, but not all retribution can be documented.  There's always the crappy assignment, getting passed up for the next opportunity, being the one who gets put on the night shift, ect.  There's also a strong "managers club", so if you cause problems for one manager the others will know about it.  Forget about a transfer or moving up.

It doesn't matter if it's documented. Talk to a lawyer who specialized in such things if you're nervous.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make an anonymous call (pay phone)

Emphasized the important part in case you truly want to be anonymous.

ETA: - pay phones are not nearly
as prevalent as they used to be and to find one in working order, in
just the place you need it - good luck.

get a prepaid cell phone from wal-mart, or give your kid 20 buck the next time he goes to the quickie mart to pick one up, pay cash.  dont turn the phone
on until you are ready to use it and never call anyone you know with
it.  after its done throw it in a river.

the 911 calls will be recorded - be sure to give the vehicle details, "erratic driving", lisc plate #, and WHERE on the road you are (ie on XX road, just past exit # XX traveling north/south/east/west).   you don't have to give your name if you dont want to  (they will ask) - tell the operator you have to go and hang up, turn off the cell phone and take out the battery.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let's put it in perspective:

The guys you work for may hate you. The almost-retired guy may resent having to actually WOK in the last days before he retires. well, that's tough.

None of them wil hate you half as much as the father of the child that gets killed when this guys runs her over because he was durnk if it comes to light that you knew about it and turned a blind eye.

Turn the guy in. Better yet, go to the police and make sure they catch him. Habitual drunk driving isn't, in any way, funny, or to be taken lightly. It's a life-and-death issue.

Huge +1, and StephenNW has some good advice a couple posts above as well.  And take it from someone who used to drive drunk––-you are not only helping out anyone this guy might injure/kill/damage the property of in the future––––-you are helping him out as well, whether he knows it or will see it or not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Cal the po-po.  You dont have to be identified for the stopto happen.  In all my DWI stops, I have NEVER been asked why I happened to be in the area when I observed the suspect driving and even if I was to get asked my answer would be that I was on routine patrol inside my jurisdiction.  Even when I knew the caller was, they were never listed in report because it wasn't important.  All they do was point me in the right direction and it was up to me to develope PC for the stop.  Lets just say that I have towed many a vehicle with bags of fresh, hot food in them.

If it makes you feel better, the only person who will know who you are will be the officer and they will never divulge that information.  The better communication you have with them will net better results.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#29]
There are these things called beds. You make them, and then you sleep in them.

You're Asst mgr, his manager and the guys you work with... they've each made a bed for themselves.
Just so happens, it's time for night-night.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:36:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yes, you can make an anonymous call, and you should. If you want, you could make it sound like you're a random member of the public... It's good that you want to step up and do the right thing.

Do this! If you do it right when you suspect he's toxic then the police will confront him and take it from there, excluding you from any further part in it. Though they may ask you some questions if your around him when they show up. If so just make sure when you are giving your statement you are out of his ear shot. You could also simply call an investigator and explain what's up and they could then wait for your next call when you suspect he's toxic, and that way when they show they will know your situation before hand.

You evidently have a conscious. Be proud of it because most today either don't or are highly selfish and avoid it. The feelings you have now wandering if you should do the right thing will be nothing compared to the guilt you will feel if he does something that causes serious injury or death. The life you save here could ultimately be yours. I was on a paving crew for almost 4 years during high school. I know how dangerous it can be.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Phone call with his car/tag/route home info.  He is a threat to anyone traveling in or near the roads...

AC
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#32]
That Pre-Paid cell phone idea is a great one!  Going to go buy one now, pay with cash, dump in river when done.  Got it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This sounds like the thing to do. Call cops tell them you were driving by a work site and saw a guy working drunk and staggering around. How would you feel if the guy killed someone and you knew if you had of turned him in the person would be alive.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Next time he is drunk, arrange for him to hit you with his truck.  Or hit your truck, if you lack a sense of adventure.

Then call the cops.  Game over.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Call OSHA or your state equivelant if his behavior is making your job dangerous.  Heads will roll from the top down.  You must act, lives depend on it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I need to put an end to this.  I work for the Department of Transportation, on a specialty maint. crew.  We work out on the roads, usually in traffic.  The job involves a lot of driving, working with heavy equipment and power tools, ect.  Just the sort of things your NEVER to do when intoxicated.  We've had some close calls, work is getting dangerous, and last week he drove his truck into a tree.  Enough is enough.

He's my assistant manager and his "problem" has been steadily getting worse over the last two years.   I've tried talking to him, as have several other members of my crew.  We've looked the other way, even covered for him, because we had hopes it was a temporary problem.  It was a mistake to do that, and we were wrong to let it go on.  It will cost him his job, but something needs to be done before it costs a life.

Here's the catch, there WILL be retribution and retaliation for the person who turns him in.  Our manager knows about the problem, but is unaware of the depth or frequency of it.  He will catch a lot of hell from upper management, will be in tons of meetings, and will not be happy.  He's too close to retirement to want to deal with this.  He would prefer to just retire away and let the next guy deal with it, so if this all comes out he will be looking for heads.  The drunken boss also has friends at work who will have some hate for the snitch, so all in all it's going to be a rough life for me if it comes out that I turned him in.

I'm looking for advice here.  How can I turn him in or get him pulled over by the police without my name getting involved?  Upper management isn't an option, because they will name names.  The safety manager is supposed to protect workers who report problems, but he's a back-stabbing SOB and I've seen him roll over on pee-ons and name the person who called in a violation.   That guy has spent the last 3 years on the management shit-list.  I'm thinking the police would be the best option, because it would force the issue into the open, but can I make an anonymous call?  I'm in Oregon if it matters, btw.

Sounds like abuse/neglect/destruction of state property.  Try these folks from a pay phone:

http://www.sos.state.or.us/audits/fraud/
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Call the police and have them "awaitin'" for them.  Nobody knows and they will be none the wiser.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Call the police and have them "awaitin'" for them.  Nobody knows and they will be none the wiser.
That is what I would do also.

Sorry to hear that you are in such a "pickle." I would do something quick before he gets killed or kills somebody, most likely somebody else will get killed(because drunk people are so relaxed).
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is what I would do also.

Sorry to hear that you are in such a "pickle." I would do something quick before he gets killed or kills somebody, most likely somebody else will get killed(because drunk people are so relaxed).

This
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Not that I've ever done or known anyone who's done this, you understand...

If the supervisor is involved in a workplace accident he has to submit to a drug screening.  The thing about it is the injury has to be severe enough to call for days of lost work and ambulance transport, just to be sure.  Retiring boss will have to cover his tail with a test.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#41]
there are usually whistle blower tip lines
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
If he kills someone while at work, you're almost equally to blame at this point.

Turn him in. Period. End of story.

Quoted:
anonymous cell phone call to popo about erratic driving with his license plate number and vehicle description?

No such thing as an anonymous cell phone call unless you steal the phone first.

Use a pay phone.

If you WANT to raise a stink though, you are protected by the "Whistle Blower" laws...and you can sue big time if your job is endangered by ratting him out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If he was drunk last week and drove his truck into a tree, was he cited for DUI ?

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd walk into the nearest Oregon State Patrol office, ask to speak to a supervisor, and tell them everything, including your concerns about retribution.

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got back from the store with my new TRACFONE and a 60 min card for it.  I also made a call to the Oregon State Police dispatch line and asked about making an annoymous report.  The dispatcher wasn't impressed that it was about an Oregon Department of Transportation superviser and assured me that they can take annoymous calls and that they will protect the information.  

The truck vs. tree incident didn't involve any other vehicles and only had side pannel damages so no drug test or police invovement.

It's sad that it's come to this, but I'm ashamed I've let it go this long.  Next time I see him staggering the calls are going out.  Thanks for the support guys.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just got back from the store with my new TRACFONE and a 60 min card for it.  I also made a call to the Oregon State Police dispatch line and asked about making an annoymous report.  The dispatcher wasn't impressed that it was about an Oregon Department of Transportation superviser and assured me that they can take annoymous calls and that they will protect the information.  

The truck vs. tree incident didn't involve any other vehicles and only had side pannel damages so no drug test or police invovement.

It's sad that it's come to this, but I'm ashamed I've let it go this long.  Next time I see him staggering the calls are going out.  Thanks for the support guys.

So if no other vehicle is involved and there is minimal damage the Police don't get involved or was this on Private Property?

Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tell them the DOT number on the truck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Good luck.

Call the state police from your track phone when you are sure he is drunk.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Give the police his time & route to work, car description & tag. Let him get busted off the clock. Specify why you are calling this in.
Anonymously!
Once he has the DUI, refuse to ride if he is driving. See what happens if they fire you for refusing to ride with someone that has a revoked license.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top