Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2002 9:09:43 AM EDT
I do!

He writes great books and i can't get enough of them. It's crazy I read 400 page books in like 3 days because I can't put them down. I really enjoy his writing style, and agree with most of the things he says. I tries to read a another series of books written by a different authour, "Coney Man" series I think, and I couldn't even finish it. The characters were 2 dimensional and seemed really fake.

I don't know how much of his fiction books are actually fiction but I sure do enjoy them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I liked the first book but the others seemed to be more fiction than non-fiction.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
His first one "Rouge Warrior" is the only one thats non-fiction. I've read most of the other, pretty decent.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read just about all of his books...I like his foul-mouthed, no nonsense writing style.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
His first one "Rouge Warrior" is the only one thats non-fiction. I've read most of the other, pretty decent.
View Quote

Is Rouge Warrior set in a transvestite bar, or did you mean Rogue Warrior?  There was a science fiction book out years ago named Rogue Queen, and at least one paper back edition came out with Rouge Queen on the spine.  Attracts a different readership, I bet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#6]
"Coney man" might be "Stony Man" or the Mack Bolan series by Don Pendelton.  That series is ok, but it's full of gun-related mistakes.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks nsf!

it was stoney man, it just didn't seem as real.

i couldn't even finish "guerrila game" by ian padden. sorry ian but you just don't compare to mr. rick.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a hard time with Marcinko's credibility after reading a few pages into "Rogue Warrior" the statement that a 9mm Hydra-Shok round will decapitate someone.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyway, I like his stuff. He has a new co-authour this time around. I have to admit... I skip past the hand to hand struggles.

"..and then I grasped for my lanyard which was forgotten in the ! Suddenly the second one whose neck I have broken twice came back and demanded my passport(Which I have 30 of)...No worries I quickly dispatched him/her/it with a full dose of navy trigger group. After the whole deal, I was quick to improvise a new scenario since Johnny "Wicked Squirrel" /no last name/ for obvious reasons...came back to life...........And then the sub picked us up"

OK, I'm getting carried away. I have read 3 of the ? books and to tell the truth -- It's getting predictable. Good stuff tho.

Hey, Everyone's a critic.. right?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I loved it in the one book when his characters ripped off our national guard armory. The armory is actually over the boarder in Taylor, but he got everything else right.
We hoped for a whole year after that someone would clean the place out.
We had it all, A1s, A2s, 14s, 60s, 50 cals...
The really cool part was when the alarm broke and they took 6 months to fix it. No one ever ripped it off, though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got all (AFAIK) of them.  Most are actually fiction - only four are not:

Rogue Warrior
The REAL Team
Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior
Rogue Warrior's Strategy For Success.

All the rest are fiction.  Well written, not (too) far of the mark, but fiction.  I don't even find him as far out as observed here, and sorry Badseed - but that's hyperbole.  When he kills someone in a novel the dead stay dead.

Other books good for a read:

Point Man and Walking Point - two-part autobio of James D. "Patches" Watson III - Dick M's old pointman in Vietnam.  Good, solid reads.  I've talked to Patches a few times (our paths shall cross again soon, I hope) and he's damn good people.

About Face and Hazardous Duty - two-art autobio of David H Hackworth - most decorated American soldier living.  Not "most highly decorated," but "most decorated."  There's a retired Marine General that holds that particular honour...

The Price of Honor - another Hackworth, this time a novel.  Very well done - one soldier's quest to clear his father's name...

Code Name: Bright Light, by George Vieth.  An outstanding treatise on the Vietnam "Bright Light" POW/MIA Rescue programme.

SOG - The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam (MAJ John L. Plaster)  WOW!  A well-done documentary of the various RTs, their personnel, and the operating doctrine in Vietnam.

Give a few of these a try.  Also, don't forget "Delta Force" by Charles A Beckwith and "First SEAL" by Roy Boehm - very well done!

On the civilian side, look for a book called "Guilty" by Judge Harold A. Rothwax.  A former card-carrying ACLU member, even HE thinks we've gone too damn far in protecting the rights of the criminal and forgoing the rights of the innocent...

FFZ
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got all (AFAIK) of them.  Most are actually fiction - only four are not:

Rogue Warrior
The REAL Team
Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior
Rogue Warrior's Strategy For Success.

All the rest are fiction.  Well written, not (too) far of the mark, but fiction.  I don't even find him as far out as observed here, and sorry Badseed - but that's hyperbole.  When he kills someone in a novel the dead stay dead.

Other books good for a read:

Point Man and Walking Point - two-part autobio of James D. "Patches" Watson III - Dick M's old pointman in Vietnam.  Good, solid reads.  I've talked to Patches a few times (our paths shall cross again soon, I hope) and he's damn good people.

About Face and Hazardous Duty - two-art autobio of David H Hackworth - most decorated American soldier living.  Not "most highly decorated," but "most decorated."  There's a retired Marine General that holds that particular honour...

The Price of Honor - another Hackworth, this time a novel.  Very well done - one soldier's quest to clear his father's name...

Code Name: Bright Light, by George Vieth.  An outstanding treatise on the Vietnam "Bright Light" POW/MIA Rescue programme.

SOG - The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam (MAJ John L. Plaster)  WOW!  A well-done documentary of the various RTs, their personnel, and the operating doctrine in Vietnam.

Give a few of these a try.  Also, don't forget "Delta Force" by Charles A Beckwith and "First SEAL" by Roy Boehm - very well done!

On the civilian side, look for a book called "Guilty" by Judge Harold A. Rothwax.  A former card-carrying ACLU member, even HE thinks we've gone too damn far in protecting the rights of the criminal and forgoing the rights of the innocent...

FFZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top