Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2002 9:54:01 PM EDT
I see a lot of negative comments about gun shops on this board. Just curious to see how many of you are unhappy with the service provided to you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't bought a gun from them yet...

Bought ammo and other stuff. Staff is usually friendly and helpful. Haven't really looked at guns yet (damn being poor sucks) but I would expect good things. I was happy with the old gun shops back in SC too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The only stocking local gun shop here is a Scheels. They screw you so bad on a trade in, They won't deal in any pseudo military rifles.

They are very over priced.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have bought quite a few guns from the local dealers. overall the prices are good, but you have to check each shop and compare.
Ammo is a little expensive, but thats ok.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#4]
In all but one of the local shops I've been to, the prices have huge mark-ups.  For new firearms, take the price you usually hear mentioned here and add 20-30%.  For mil surplus, take AIM's or Century's prices and double or triple them!  I haven't seen a Turk Mauser for less than $125 locally.  I saw a Mosin Nagant sell for $225 at the local shop with the largest stock of mil surplus.  I saw a Stevens shotgun, that had a $35 blue book price and AIM was selling them for the same, sell for $125.  In the one place I've found, about a 45 min drive from me) with descent prices and it's named Jack's Sons Guns, they're pig- headed about showing the firearms.  Their prices are ok, but if you won't show me something, I'm definately not going to buy it.  I haven't found anywhere yet that sells police trade-ins.  I'm very interested in a used pump shotgun, and I have a couple relatives interested in a used Glock, but I haven't found anywhere yet that sells them.z
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't complain a bit about mine. Good prices, good selection, nice staff ( one guy even helps me with my 3 position shooting ), indoor range, gunsmith on-site, always helpful with problems.
Guess I just lucked out?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I voted semi.  I get good deals at the local gunshops but only after a lot of haggling.  Most of the prices are just outrageous, many times above list.  Most shops are asking 700+ for a bone stock Kimber.  Traders has good sales but you have to buy on sale or you get ripped off, i.e. over msrp.  But I bought a NIB Sig 229 there for $550, but a week after the sale they wanted $895.  I just wish there were consistent reasonable prices without all the hassles.  Of course then I would be even more broke/in debt than I am now. [:P]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Mines are Okay.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
NO NO NO NO N!!

I just moved to a new city with no shop.  The nearest one is about 25 minutes away.

THEY ARE IDIOTS!!

The Provincial Gov HAD a law that required shops to record Pic ID for ammo purchases..Most people just used their Drivers Licence.

HOWEVER when the new FED law came it it over-ruled that PROV law.

The FED law says that you must have a Gun Permit to buy ammo... It says nothing about recording anything!

Well the shop has decided to combine the two laws..they say that the local Police "asked them to".

They input your Permit number and details on your ammo purchase " In case the Feds want it"!!!

When they tried it on me the first time I took the time to print out the laws and show them the error of their ways.....No DICE!  Thats our Policy I was told!  Well now that I have shown you where it is wrong are you going to review the policy?  NOPE!! I was told....

My response?.......Ok then what is your return Policy!!!  I then returned the $200 worth of ammo I had bought and supervised while they deleted me and my info from their computer.

The real scary thing is that due to a new computer system at the FED level all you need is someones Birthday, Permit number and city they were born in to register online......

So with the data in their computer they could register any guns in my name and I would not know......until it showed up at a murder scene and I find JBTs at my door.

I mean really its bad enough to have to fight the FEDs but to have to fight your allies?????

I now drive the hour to my old city for ammo.....they just want to see your money.  Sometimes they will ask someone they do not know if they have a permit.  If you lie...that is your deal not theirs.  The law just says you have to have a permit.  It says nothing about showing it!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#9]
My "local" gun shop closed about 4 years ago.  They were good people.

Now, I consider AimSurplus to be my "local" shop, even though it's about 1 3/4 hours away.  Anybody who's dealt with them knows how I feel - they're wonderful....great prices & very friendly, helpful people.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#10]
When I moved to Kommiefornia 20+ years ago, there were 22 places to buy guns within a 30 minute drive. For a shooter, hunter, collector, the world was our oyster. Now there are only 6.

Of the six, 2 only deal in boring high-volume rifles (great if you're into 10/22s or Remington 710s). Two others also deal in high-volume pistols (add Springfields and Glocks to the boring list). The remaining 2 stores will do special orders and transfers, but at a premium price.

None of the six stores are very healthy financially.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#11]
My "local" gunshop?
Here is a reenactment of my first visit about 5 years ago.
Me: Do you carry any AR15s?

Owner: What, you mean,like M16s?

Me: Yeah, I guess.

Owner: I think they're illegal to sell.

Obviously my first and last visit there.
I won't even buy a target from the guy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm happy with my local shop's pricing on guns. Though their stock is usually small (except AR15s, which is a bright spot), they will order most anything, and have it in a couple of days.

On the down side, they carry virtually no ammo or accessories. I end up ordering ammo on-line because they don't stock it. Also holsters, lights, cleaning gear, sights, grips, etc.

Nice place, and I try to buy all my guns there, but can't help but believe they could make more profit by selling other stuff (and thus ensure they stay in business to sell me more cheap guns).
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got two local shops.  One caters primarily to the hunting crowd and the other to the trailer court commandoes (lots of Hesse ARs, SAR-1s and Century Frankenfals).  I haven't seen a price at either place that didn't appear to be a blatent rip off.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]

My local dealer is a great guy.  Will negotiate price on anything.  Limited inventory but this is a small town and money is hard to come by.  $10. per 4473 so what more can I ask?  Fun guy to shoot with - often brings broken boxes of odd ammo to shoot up too!

I buy a lot of my stuff at shows and mail order but still try to spend some with him even when he is a little higher.  Have helped him build several rifles so that helps some I guess.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I have three to choose from.

The first two are your average gun stores.  They rip you off, are ignorant, and have a crappy selection.

The guy I deal with is Ray Ciampoli.  He is a vet, and has a small shop out of his basement.  Great guy.  Honest, very helpful, and wonderful to deal with.  You can order a gun for dealer cost + 5% or so.  FFL transfers are dirt cheap.  He has been in business for a long time and has a group of regulars.  Real honest prices.  He got a batch of TEC-9's in awhile ago and sold them for $130 each because he found them at a good deal.  I just bought a L1A1 off him for $449, and got the gun, two mags, mag pouch, original box, and 200 rounds of ammo.  It has an Imbel receiver.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I sold a gun, on consignment, and told the owner to include the holsters.  Go back, after the sale, and low and behold a Galco I included in the sale is for sale as a used holster.  Asked the creep and he acted like I was talking Greek.  Ammo is high.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:49:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I wish we had a local gunshop, here we only have a sporting goods store that has some guns, and for some weird reason a ma deuce. It's not bad because the club I belong to has an FFL so they can order stuff at cost.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:50:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Austin has several.

McBrides
Just Guns (and Hank Fleming Gunsmith)
Tex-Guns
Austin Guns
Red's
Cook's Sure Shot
Heritage Guns
-plus the usual pawnshops and sporting goods.

I do my business with Heritage (best selection of evil rifles), Tex-Guns (friendliest staff, best pistol prices and selection), and Austin Guns (convenient location, and occasionally have real treasures to be had). Cooks is where I shoot most often, but I haven't bought there before.  Hank Fleming is my usual gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a local place here in McHenry, but they went under new management.

The good: They seem to be able to order anything. Prices are OK, not great, but not a rip off.

The bad: No ammo selection, they won't do any of the transfers I've asked about since "we can just order it for you". Not much inventory in store.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Austin has several.

McBrides
Tex-Guns
Austin Guns
Red's
Cook's Sure Shot
Heritage Guns

I do my business with Heritage (best selection of evil rifles), Tex-Guns (friendliest staff, best pistol prices and selection), and Austin Guns (convenient location, and occasionally have real treasures to be had). Cooks is where I shoot most often, but I haven't bought there before.  Hank Fleming is my usual gunsmith.
View Quote

Thanks for the list!  I will check out Cooks.

I live very close to Red's , but they have become so unfriendly that I feel that they are doing me a favor by allowing me to spend my money in their store.  [:(!]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
My guys are golden, but you might try something else. Find out how much the firearm "lists" for, then ask the guys how much they charge to accept a firearm. Add the two, then make your offer. It helps to have cash in hand.
If the shop is one that is not very busy, hand them your card and tell them to call you when they are ready to sell for what you want to buy it for.
One word of caution though, many times the "list" price is a lot higher than what they will let it go for so you might want to start low. You know, dicker or whatever those yardsale womenz do.
[:D]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I voted ver dissatisfied as we dont have a local gun shop anymore.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#23]
san antonio has only two real gun stores - Nagels and HoGuns

Nagels - some are very nice, some are assholes -the price is way to high there, but it's 10 minutes from my home

HoGuns - Wayne Ho is the owner - he's the nicest asshole i've met so far - he jokes with you, doesn't BS you, he remembers your name and his prices are alot better - he's the only person working there, so when he has alot of people in there, it can take a while to get help.  Bad thing (for me) is that his shop is 30 minutes away from my house
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I responded "very dissatisfied."

I've got two local stocking dealers.

One is an overpriced, arrogant, abrasive SOB. Though he does stock things like ArmaLite (AR50, too) and DSA. He has had $1000 post-ban 16" Bushies, too.

The other just bought the store from his cousin a couple of years ago and stocks hunting guns. Though he will order about anything. This place had the best prices in the valley until the new owner took over. Now he is worse in every way to the other shop.

F'em. I buy out of town.

Another funny thing is powder prices. Everything in town is $20/lb. 25 miles away it's $15 to $18/lb. And I'm in that town 3 or 4 times a month anyway.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I can think of 6 shops within about 15 to 45 minutes from me. Of these six, theres only one or two that doesnt have the typical 'know it all' salesman, or the fella that thinks he just fell out of Heaven as Gods Disciple of Gun Sales.

Probably the best shop in the Albany, NY area is Accurate Arms on Central Ave in Schenectady. Excellent prices, run by a husband and wife team. Real nice couple and carry everything from single shot shotguns to the black rifles. They also carry just about everything I'll be needing for reloading as well. They are the kind of store that truly appreciates my business.

However, there is only one store that I havent been to in about a year and a half cause I'm still pissed off. Purchased a Romanian SAR1 online, called the store to ask them if they'd do a transfer - "Sure thing, $25 bucks." Then the fella asked me what I'd be bringing in and I told him. Then says "Hold on" Comes back and says, "well the transfer on that will be $60"

"Whaaaaat?" I replied, He says "well, we stock the same rifle and you could have bought it from us" --Click-- Yeah, whatever sh$thead.

Now I'm doing my best to support my local gun shops, but I'll be damn sure not going to get railroaded. I bought the rifle for $275 online, and expected to pay at most $320 with shipping and transfer. The shop was selling them for $365. So instead of making $25 bucks from me, they opted to be dicks about it, lost that $25 and any chance of my future purchases or recommendations to others. Some dealers never learn.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Some around here (Chicago area) have a fair selection, and range rates aren't too awful, usually around $8.  Ammo prices suck unless you visit a bigger chain store (Galyans anone? [:D]), and there aren't many dealers that have sane prices for transfers... most are over $35, some $50 or more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Austin has several.

McBrides
Tex-Guns
Austin Guns
Red's
Cook's Sure Shot
Heritage Guns

View Quote

Thanks for the list!  I will check out Cooks.

I live very close to Red's , but they have become so unfriendly that I feel that they are doing me a favor by allowing me to spend my money in their store.  [:(!]
View Quote

Ditto on Reds here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]
In the PRK, I am happy just to be able to walk into a gun store.  The prices are high, and in most cases the service is lacking.  However, it seems every few months, another shop closes its doors.  They don't make any money on new guns, and most used guns are illegal.  That means that they can only make a profit by gouging on supplies and accessories.  

The lack of competetion means higher prices and poor service.  It is mostly the fault of the government.  All of the regulation and paperwork makes it hard for them to sell guns and comply with the law.  It is a downward spiral that is only getting worse.

Be thankful for what you've got, because soon it may be gone.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#29]
We've got several here in Northern VA, but the only ones I do much business with are [url=http://www.virginiaarms.com/]Virginia Arms[/url] and the occasional stop at Galyans for cheap Q3131A.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Austin has several.

McBrides
Tex-Guns
Austin Guns
Red's
Cook's Sure Shot
Heritage Guns

View Quote

Callahans stocks some guns and ammo as well, but stay on the high end of pricing.  I buy there when I need something NOW (i.e. ammo) or for a special gun (i.e. the special run of dual cylinder .45 Vaqueros from Davidson's, and they had one).

Since I live out toward Cedar Park, Heritage gets most of my business, except when I go hunting a used gun, and I drive from work down to McBride's.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a local place here in McHenry, but they went under new management.

The good: They seem to be able to order anything. Prices are OK, not great, but not a rip off.

The bad: No ammo selection, they won't do any of the transfers I've asked about since "we can just order it for you". Not much inventory in store.

Av.
View Quote

What place you talkin about?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I like mine, Tom & Joe's & Green Mountain Guns. Both reasonable & GMG has great deals on consignment guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#33]
The good ones close down. [:(]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#34]
You know what you hear when Norm walks into the Cheers bar "NORM!!!"  Well thats about what I get when I go into my favorite store.  Sportsmans Warehouse is about a 1 hour drive across state lines into CO for me.  I buy everything there, ammo, guns, reloading gear, etc.  I can buy rifles and take them home the same day.  For pistols I have them shipped to Marv's Place, a local pawn shop.  He charges nothing to do transfers!  Anyway, Sportsmans Warehouse is a rather large store but you still get the hometown feel.  Everyone at the gun counter and customer service counter knows me by name.  When I walk up to the counter the guy or girl instantly goes back to get my layaway slip.  The guys back at the gun counter let me fondle the numorous guns I lust after [:)]  I believe this is the only big sporting goods store still selling black rifles too.  The will also order about anything you want.  Great prices on HK USC's, AR's ($719 for 16" Bushy), you name it.  Even after paying $25 to have a handgun shipped overnight it still works out to be a great price.  All I have locally are shops that want $500 for cheap PPK rip offs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Lousy!

If anyone knows a great place in Tulsa, let me know. The choices look something like this:

Local cop shop - two classes of customers, cops and civilians.

High End shotgun and rifle place - high prices and little knowledge on handguns, no AR's or AK's.

Guns and Reloading place - little selection, not interested in ordering or transfers, want $100! for a transfer and act like that is favor.

Several Gun and Pawn's - Cheap shit and high prices, most probably can't tell an AK from an AR. One wasn't aware that new AK's had to have a certain number of American part, refused to order an AK for me. "We might get another one some day"

I finally found a local FFL who sells AR parts and does transfers at a reasonable price. Outdoor America, two hours away in OKC, isn't bad for handguns.

I believe in supporting local gunshop and will pay more for good service. There just isn't any available!

Thank God for my local FFL! Sheldon, you are definitely on my Christmas Card list.

docmac86
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I am very satisfied with Tucker Gun Exchange in Tucker, Ga, a suburb of Atlanta.  In fact, when I moved to the Savannah area (Tybee Island), I still only buy from them, with the rare exception when I find a deal at a gunshow.  Norman and the gang at Tucker Gun are great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I hate the ones where they have smokers.. I cant stand the stench.  I found an OK place but having to come home and change and shower to get the damn smell off ya from 10 min of being in the store really sux!
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I hate the ones where they have smokers.. I cant stand the stench.  I found an OK place but having to come home and change and shower to get the damn smell off ya from 10 min of being in the store really sux!
View Quote
[>Q]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Most are way overpriced.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What place you talkin about?
View Quote

McHenry Schooting Center on Rt 120 in McHenry. There is a big "Guns" sign right outside of it.

They were closed down for a couple of weeks around Christmas I think. The store is small, but is now very clean and well lit. The indoor range was cleaned up, and looks new.

I stopped intoday to pick up a double mag holder. They expanded the handguns they carry, a couple of S.A. 1911, some Beretta's, 3 Taurus's, and 6-8 Glocks, plus about 15-20 other types (revolver and semi-auto).

Not much in the way of rifles/shotguns.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I voted yes,cause I work part time at my local gunstore.Its Sheps sporting goods in Martinsburg,WV.I spent so much time in that damn place the owner asked me If I wanted a job or something [:D].We charge 20 for a transfer and the highest markup we have over wholesale is 100 for the highend weatherbys and desert eagles.Bushmasters for the most part are just 60 over our cost.I would even do better If the gun is paid in full when we order it.Say on a bushy that cost us 650,you pay in full I will order it for 50 over cost.If you pay it as a layaway (90 days) I would charge the full 60 bucks over.Also Virgina Arms in Manassas that was mentioned is a nice place.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#42]
what gun shops???
i  live in northern new york. there's wallyword with the fat arrogant knows everything sonofabitch that couldn't get a job at better than 6 bucks an hour, a k-mart with there wide selection of five guns that i wouldn't buy for half off. we do have an eckerd drugs; fair selection, good pricing, fair experience at least there helpful. a few FFL's still running out of their homes. one full time EXCELLENT gunsmith with a well rounded selection, problem is he's 1/2 hour away. its always well worth the the trip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#43]
My local gunshop is Fagan's sporting firearms. I've bought 2 guns from him of excellent quality at excellent price. He also has the Ghengis and Beowulf AR-15's by Alexander Arms. His phone is 540-639-1979.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#44]
The local gunshops where I currently live leave much to be desired.

Gunshop A - A sporting goods outlet.  Almost always overpriced.  50% chance the sales people know what you're talking about.

Gunshop B - Combination guns/ vacumn cleaners/ sewing machines.  Unfriendly, at least to me.  Talked to him about transferring my 2001 LEGP and he wanted $60.  Haven't gone back.  Selection isn't so good anyway.

Gunshop C - Combination guns/ bar (I'm not kidding).  A little grouchy, but not bad.  He transferred a couple of pistols in for myself and a friend, everything was good except his paperwork.  Made me feel uncomfortable enough to not want to go back.

I did get lucky enough to find a local guy with a ffl.  Real top-notch and has helped me out a couple of times.  The only problem is that his offerings always seem to outclass my checkbook.  He's not high priced, he just deals in higher-end equipment.  If you're reading this, Doug, I'm still kicking myself for not picking up that USP tactical (there just would have been too many nights on the couch).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top