Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2002 9:52:57 PM EDT
ATLANTA (AP) - The Georgia Court of Appeals has dismissed a lawsuit by the city of Atlanta against gun manufacturers and trade associations, saying that only states have the right to regulate firearms.

The appeals court's ruling Wednesday overturned a lower court decision that allowed the city to sue 14 gun makers and three trade associations, alleging they are negligent in designing, distributing and promoting firearms and fail to warn of their danger.

The National Rifle Association, which has pushed states to pass laws that make it illegal for cities and counties to file such suits, was "gratified" by the ruling, lobbyist Jim Baker said.

"The contention was that gun manufacturers are responsible for the criminal acts of third parties, which is outside the jurisprudence in this country," Baker said Thursday. "Vicarious liability is not something the courts look kindly upon."

The city, which has a new mayor, has not yet decided whether to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, deputy city attorney Bob Godfrey said.

The lawsuit was filed Feb. 4, 1999, five days before the Georgia General Assembly passed a law prohibiting municipalities from filing such claims.

Since October 1998, when New Orleans filed the first such lawsuit, at least 27 other municipalities have brought similar cases, Baker said. Several of those have been dismissed, while courts have allowed others to continue.

Good news, I guess, but what sticks in my craw is this statement...
The Georgia Court of Appeals has dismissed a lawsuit by the city of Atlanta against gun manufacturers and trade associations, saying that [i]only states have the right to regulate firearms.[/i]
View Quote

I guess I should not be surprised.  Our nation's leaders are busy these days eviscerating the First, Second, and Fourth Amendments.
Why should the Fourteenth Amendment be any different?  [:(!]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top