Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2002 10:38:13 PM EDT
My fiance' and I are planning on getting married on St.John, anyone have any suggestions about St. Thomas/St. John?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
St. John's a cool place.  Might think about Saba too.  Saba's a really unusual island, my personal favorite in that part of the world.  Visually striking.  It's an extinct volcano peak sticking out of the Carib about 25 miles from St. Thomas and St. Barths.  At 3200 ft, Mt. Scenery is the highest point in the Caribbean.  It's only five miles square so it's pretty small but like I said Saba's just beautiful.  Only about 1000 people live there.  Saba's a Dutch island that was originally settled by followers of Oliver Cromwell who escaped England so it's population is mostly white, a rarity in the Carib.  All the houses are gingerbread cottages, only nine miles of "hand-built" roads and you can see a hundred miles of islands strung up and down the Antilles from the village of Windwardside.  You can tell I like Saba.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:05:51 AM EDT
[#2]
What a coincidence!

Miz Hun and I got married on Valentine's Day in 1988 at Charlotte Amalie, on St. Thomas, USVI, at the oldest Protestant Church in the Western Hemisphere!

Back then we stayed at the former Hilton St. Thomas on the hill overlooking the town of Charlotte Amalie. It was great!

You're still in America, US money works great, the prices are pretty reasonable, there are stores out the wazoo for your lady, what more could you ask?

Except that the people drive on the wrong side of the road!

National Geographic's 10 Most Beautiful Beaches of the world, has three (3) listed from St. Thomas and St. John!

St. John is the less crowded of the two, so for a honeymoon today, Miz Hun and I would have chosen to stay there!

2/3 of St. John is a US National Park, so it should remain that way for the future.

Ask me anything you want about this paradise!

Eric The(Lovable)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:21:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Arok is right about Saba, except one thing, it's over 100 miles from St. Thomas. It's about 17 miles S.E of St. Maarten, and the same West of St. Barts (Barthalemy). Saba would be the place to go for your honeymoon, for quiet & romance. Don't bother with St Maarten. I had a fishing charter business there 30 years ago, it was still nice, but VERY built up now. When I first went there, they had a dirt air strip. My uncle (Stetson Risdon) settled there in 1958, lived the rest of his life there.... I lived in the west indies for about 4 years.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#4]
OH! out of your 2 choices?? St. Johns.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Mrs. QS and I got married in June of 98 on Grand Cayman, at the Grand Old House.  Beautiful wedding....no stateside wedding bullshit.

[url]www.grandoldhouse.com[/url]

we stayed here:

[url]www.westincasuarina.com[/url]

and these folks did the planning for us.. they did a GREAT job.

[url]www.caymanweddings.com[/url]

QS
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Arok is right about Saba, except one thing, it's over 100 miles from St. Thomas. It's about 17 miles S.E of St. Maarten, and the same West of St. Barts (Barthalemy). Saba would be the place to go for your honeymoon, for quiet & romance. Don't bother with St Maarten. I had a fishing charter business there 30 years ago, it was still nice, but VERY built up now. When I first went there, they had a dirt air strip. My uncle (Stetson Risdon) settled there in 1958, lived the rest of his life there.... I lived in the west indies for about 4 years.....
View Quote

Got my "Saints" mixed up.  You're correct of course.  Also about not wasting time in St. Maarten.  French side is a little better tho'.  Saba, Dominica and Montserrat will always be my favorites in the Carib.  When did you live there?  What made you build a box and leave?
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Didn't get married there, but spent my 25th wedding anniversary at St. John's 3 years ago.  Wonderful place...as others have said, most of it is National Park.  Great snorkeling; relaxed life style. Spent half a day in St. Thomas...that was more than enough...too crowded and commercial...I'll take St. Johns any day.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my best buds went to med school on Saba...he said all the people look faintly alike and the native booze (Saba Spice, if I remember correctly) has the flavor of aromatic hydrocarbons with a hint of methanol.

QS
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of my best buds went to med school on Saba...he said all the people look faintly alike and the native booze (Saba Spice, if I remember correctly) has the flavor of aromatic hydrocarbons with a hint of methanol.

QS
View Quote

Yeah there are a lot of Sabans with the same last name.  Hassell being the most common.  Got a bottle of Saba Spice in the cabinet.  Sort'a licorice flavored.  Saba has to be the healthiest place to live.  Saba didn't get roads until the 1950's and walking trails are still used to get to a large part of the island.  People live a long time on Saba.  Eighty year olds with calves like olympic runners.  The village of Windwardside is about 2k ft above the Carib sitting on a saddle between two mountain peaks.  Up above the humidity the trade winds blow cool all the time and you even need a light jacket many nights.  The Elfin Forest on top of Mount Scenery is magical and the stone steps carved up the mountainside make an easier climb.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#11]
A little story about St. John on my honeymoon - while Miz Hun was sunbathing, yours truly was roaming all over Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay.

When I came up in Cinnamon Bay, three 'rastas' came out of the forest and said: 'Hey Mon, you want to buy some ganja?'

Seeing as how we were in a National Park, I declined the offer!

I'd hate to get busted in a federal park!

Drats! I've lamented my failue for let's see now, fourteen years!

Eric The(BetItWasReallyKillerStuff,Too!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Sandals has the weddingmoon which looks really nice. The wife and I like sandals, and we have seen over 100 during the times we have been there, mostly down the beach a ways, but sometimes closer, and have chatted with couples going through it 10-15 times at the pool bar or beach.
It can range from simple vows and photos to all the way.
The honeymoon is all inclusive at a wonderful resort, but you have to pay for the wedding. Even so, much cheaper.
We like the Montego Bay Jamaica location, but other people like Negril or Ocho Rios
They also have them on other islands
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Honeymooned in Caneel Bay  (St. John) in '93 ---words can not describe how awesome that place is.  Hopeing to spend 10th anniversary there next year.

Spent a day on St. John shopping -- that was plenty of time there.

Also, while there you must dive -- best conditions I have ever seen.

By the way Mr. Hun  LSU LC '93 - Go Tigers (saw an earlier post of yours)
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
R35's wife here

Between the two, I would go with St. John.
I prefer St. Croix. Its quiet with not so many tourist. R35 lived there for 5yrs and the inlaws still live there.

St. John is nice also. I find St. Thomas crowded with alot of people..great for a day of shopping though.

congrats on the wedding
R35s wife
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I was married on a beach on the Island of Grenada in 1991.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top