Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2002 6:24:12 PM EDT
[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=3107746[/url]

Does this thing look like it was specially developed for the SEALs?

It looks to me like it was developed by someone with an extra chromosome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like somebody took some tin snips and a soldering iron to some of their old mags to create some sort of bastardized super-mag.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Two bids!!!??? People never cease to amaze me. What's truly amazing is that this guy is even willing to part with this *RARE* piece of history.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
That follower is pretty special too!! It looks like he cut the top off of an alloy follower & screwed it to a newer green follower.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the mags back then say "COLT AR-15"?

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, right now it's only 30 bucks... I've seen people pay more than that for a Colt floor plate. How do you suppose the cartridges transition around those joints?

Check out his other auction:
[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=3106392[/url]

This one has got to be a genuine Seal item. It has a vibropencil serial number on it!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
that is the dumbest fucking thing ive heard in a while.  but go check out www.specwargear.com  those damn airsofters and wannabes will purchase anything.  especially those damn korean and jap spec ops wannabes
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I found him selling another one:

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=3106392[/url]

Looks better, but what's that? Somebody scratched "SEAL" on the mag!! Holy shit! REAL SEAL STUFF!!!!!!!

I bid $450!!!!

Hey, can somebody check this? He claims the following:
"A magazine identical to this one is listed in The Black Rifle page 381."

True? Not true?

Av.

Edited: Damnit! bigdb1 beat me to linking to his other auction.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
That first one looks like a home-built, but the second one could be legit.  I just checked my copy of [i]The Black Rifle[/i], and there is a photo of a very similar looking magazine.  I'll scan it shortly and post it...

SAB
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Notice the seller's name?  Could it be our own skich, or some evil sock puppet?
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]
skich is a member here isnt he? Ive seen his name alot in the EE buying mags.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
From p. 381 of [i]The Black Rifle[/i]:

[img]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubimage.asp?id_=130326[/img]

If ya' get the red x, try this link:

[url]http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=130326[/url]

It does look similar, but...

SAB
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The welded together one looks like a bunch of nonsense, especially w/o documentation.  However, the other one that looks like a smooth sided AK mag appears to be legit to me.  The construction of the mag body is pretty convincing, but the follower looks like garbage.  Does the [i]The Black Rifle[/i] say who specifically in the military was responsible for making these 50 rounders?

Edited to clearify;
I realize credit is given to the labratory, but I was wondering if they had someone else manufacture them.  The reason I'm asking is because they look like crap, and I can't image they came from the military with such poor craftmanship, especially the follower.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#16]
NOw if only I can find a rare 40 inch barrel  super duper sniper M16 to go along with the mag. It's okay to dream........
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
slt223:

I couldn't find any other info in [i]The Black Rifle[/i].  If they were made in limited numbers, they were probably hand made.  If the laboratory person (or persons) that made them was a hack, it's entirely understandable that an experimental mag could look like an abomination.

SAB
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is my email message to him:
Greetings,
Where in Anchorage are you?  I'm in town and am interested in seeing this mag.  Do you have any factual information to back up the claim about its "rareness"?  It looks like someone simply welded 2.5 20rd mags together and screwed a chrome follower onto a green one.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
The floor plate tabs on the second mag are quite different. Hell the bottom of the mag isn't even long enough for the floorplate to slide in all the way.
And that is member skich, I compared email addy's.

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, they might be semi-legit. The first one could have been thrown together by anybody, at least the external body of it, but the second one looks like somebody made a serious effort. And the similarity between the followers suggests to me that they were both made by the same person.

Ever see John M. Browning's first model of a gas-operated machinegun? It looked like shit, but he was trying to develop an idea, not sell a finished product.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I tell you what that authentic genuine 50 rounder will go awesome with my Mattel M-16!![;)]

[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top